Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

1 hour ago, M j M said:

I've seen nothing to suggest that corporate hospitality attendance is "significantly up" at all. The club did sell out its existing corporate areas for big games in the Golden era (which given Headingley has almost never-ending additional corporate bits which can be opened up on the cricket side was already going some). However the main effect of the somewhat increased capacity of the new facilities is to transfer people who used to go in the pavilion and up in the Lewis Jones suite over to the Not Emerald Suite.

Prices went up a lot as well mind you so revenue is probably up.

I think your last point is key... prices went up significantly following the improvement in facilities. 

9 hours ago, Josef K said:

SL attendances for the weekend. If the weather is going to be as bad as they say it is it could knock a few off, especially travelling fans. 
wire v Cas 10,800

wigan v Leeds 11,500

Hull v Saints 11,400

Huddersfield v HKR 5,800

Catalans v Wakefield 8,000

Salford v Toulouse 3,600. 
these are only guesses, please don’t get annoyed if you don’t like any of the attendances 

Huddersfield are hoping/planning for over 7500 with possibly 3,000 from Humberside, but as you say, the weather could put a lot off.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, meast said:

the weather could put a lot off.

There are warnings out not to travel unless it's essential. That's bound to impact the crowds at all games now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, Jughead said:

For all the work Warrington put into marketing, is it translating into higher gates?

Against a backdrop of falling crowds, sometimes substantial, look at the likes of Wigan and Leeds, Wire's crowds have held up very well. 

Just think how much lower they'd be without the marketing work, then.

(I thought it looked decent on the TV by the way in terms of where the crowd was spread.)

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Against a backdrop of falling crowds, sometimes substantial, look at the likes of Wigan and Leeds, Wire's crowds have held up very well. 

To be fair Leeds’ falling crowds are being a bit over stated IMO take covid out of it and the couple of years when the stadium was being redeveloped they’ve  consistently hovered around 14-15k average for a decade and I expect is to get that this year

good article here, Wigans decline is worrying 

https://www.totalrl.com/up-or-down-an-in-depth-club-by-club-look-at-attendances-over-the-past-decade/

Edited by Chrispmartha

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

To be fair Leeds’ falling crowds are being a bit over stated IMO take covid out of it and the couple of years when the stadium was being redeveloped they’ve  consistently hovered around 14-15k average for a decade and I expect is to get that this year

Yeah, not being critical at all, I gave reasons on another thread, but in recent years we have seen the Thursday impact, reducing numbers of away fans and a general downward trend, but Wire's have held up well, despite being further away from an SL title than for a while. 

I'll be disappointed if Wire aren't at 10 to 11k average again this year, we've seen that fans don't just turn up by opening the gates. 

34 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, not being critical at all, I gave reasons on another thread, but in recent years we have seen the Thursday impact, reducing numbers of away fans and a general downward trend, but Wire's have held up well, despite being further away from an SL title than for a while. 

I'll be disappointed if Wire aren't at 10 to 11k average again this year, we've seen that fans don't just turn up by opening the gates. 

I think the context that @Jugheadputs on it is also not helpful. 

There's more to marketing an RL club than just turnstile clicks. It's about growing the reach of the club, building it's audience both locally, nationally and (ideally) beyond that and creating a sense of positivity and optimism around a club that is doing things that are engaging and forward thinking.

Doing that doesn't necessarily put an extra few thousand on your gates, but it does help to increase the value of your sponsorships (there's currently a video going viral-ish of a kid driving around the field in a sponsored toy BMW), it helps to improve the likelihood of your games being selected for TV, it helps you to sell merchandise, it helps you monetise your digital content..... 

The whole "yeah, but how many tickets does it sell?" is important, but it's also a very out-dated mindset. It's just one part of a much bigger puzzle

Edited by whatmichaelsays
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I think the context that @Jugheadputs on it is also not helpful. 

There's more to marketing an RL club than just turnstile clicks. It's about growing the reach of the club, building it's audience both locally, nationally and (ideally) beyond that and creating a sense of positivity and optimism around a club that is doing things that are engaging and forward thinking.

Doing that doesn't necessarily put an extra few thousand on your gates, but it does help to increase the value of your sponsorships (there's currently a video going viral-ish of a kid driving around the field in a sponsored toy BMW), it helps to improve the likelihood of your games being selected for TV, it helps you to sell merchandise, it helps you monetise your digital content..... 

The whole "yeah, but how many tickets does it sell?" is important, but it's also a very out-dated mindset. It's just one part of a much bigger puzzle

If you want to push it that way, then yeah but as you’ve then pointed out, it’s one piece of the puzzle, I was merely asking whether that piece of the puzzle has been helped by the added activity in marketing at the club. 

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

The fact it’s £30 for adults and £25 for concesssions might also be a factor. 

Too much. I have read the Wigan programme is £4. What is Lenegan doing. Getting some money in to pay for all their top end signings ?. 

33 minutes ago, Jughead said:

The fact it’s £30 for adults and £25 for concesssions might also be a factor. 

29 minutes ago, Cw25 said:

Too much. I have read the Wigan programme is £4. What is Lenegan doing. Getting some money in to pay for all their top end signings ?. 

Tickets start at £25

I notice that kid season tickets no longer give free access to away games, when did that stop? 

• Like 1

When looking at the Wigan ticket page, one of the first things you see about tonight's game is an apology from the club as not all members have received their season ticket yet. 

When coupled with the weird kit launch you do have to ask what they are doing in the off season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

When looking at the Wigan ticket page, one of the first things you see about tonight's game is an apology from the club as not all members have received their season ticket yet. 

When coupled with the weird kit launch you do have to ask what they are doing in the off season. 

That is very worrying for a club the size of Wigan 😳