Venue switch - World Cup QF

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know what the clash at Bolton is? All I can find is this which is a bit vague. 

"Following the postponement of the tournament, we worked with all existing hosts to discuss the viability of restaging games in 2022, and while the venue initially committed to delivering two fixtures as originally planned, they have since made us aware of a clash for the second game.

While every effort has been made to maintain the fixture at the original location, a solution was not able to be found."

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Of the venues we’ve got on that side of the Pennines, Wigan already has a QF and Saints is bigger than Warrington so I imagine it was a toss up between the two. 

Which does sum up the achingly parochial mindset of the RFL if that was genuinely how they were thinking.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Which does sum up the achingly parochial mindset of the RFL if that was genuinely how they were thinking.

I imagine in some ways they had to due to the scheduling of the tournament and locations of where the teams likely to play in that particular quarter final are in conjunction of stadiums. 

There were always going to be consequences after the cowardly Australians and NZ's embarrassed the sport, unfortunately we will just have to handle these and hope they don't bottle out again.

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I imagine in some ways they had to due to the scheduling of the tournament and locations of where the teams likely to play in that particular quarter final are in conjunction of stadiums. 

I suspect you're right but it's all massively underwhelming.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I suspect you're right but it's all massively underwhelming.

Indeed. 

The HJ is fine for a WC QF, it hosted one last time, its fine. 

But we have now downgraded Anfield to the DW and Bolton to the HJ. 

The cynic in me suggests that organisers are not disappointed with this, quarter finals are tough sells, and we now have far fewer seats to fill. 

After a brilliant couple of years, there is a real risk of losing positive momentum. 

15 minutes ago, dkw said:

There were always going to be consequences after the cowardly Australians and NZ's embarrassed the sport, unfortunately we will just have to handle these and hope they don't bottle out again.

But it’s few miles nearer Australia …

If they have pulled this on the back of poor ticket sales then that is a concern, but do we know that to be the case?

If it is and they have thrown the towel in with 6 months to go (when the delta in capacity is only what, 10k?) then that is very depressing.

If it was out of our control then the HJ is still a good, if smaller, venue for a vibrant QF.

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

Yes. The Champions of Champions event. I’ve no idea if that’s a major tournament in snooker, in all honesty. 

Neither have I, but even if its the biggest tournament I can’t see why it would mean the WC QF can’t be held in the same town, it’s not like the Reebok is even in town anyway. I’m sure Sheffield United and Wednesday aren’t forced to move fixtures when there is some snooker on at the crucible. Sounds like a lame excuse to me. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Neither have I, but even if its the biggest tournament I can’t see why it would mean the WC QF can’t be held in the same town, it’s not like the Reebok is even in town anyway. I’m sure Sheffield United and Wednesday aren’t forced to move fixtures when there is some snooker on at the crucible. Sounds like a lame excuse to me. 

It’s at the Whites Hotel, which is based at the stadium. 

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Which means that less than 12000 tickets would have been pre-sold as isn't that the capacity at WW?

Paul

15,200. Not great, but even so if they fill that it would be better than 16,000 people in Bolton’s ground. 

Archived