New Leeds Rhinos Coach

5 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

This is why Saints should get credit as being the most consistent club in the SL era. Look at their squad now. Littered with home grown players.

With the exception of Oledski and Cam Smith notable juniors have been few and far between. It's not the coaches fault for mine. I do feel Smith has been over thinking the equation and trying too much too soon but he can only play with the cards he's been dealt.

Pains me to say it as a Wigan fan but Saints don’t get enough credit for their unbelievable consistency throughout the Superleague era. Even their worst times has seen them competing in the play offs and it’s a sign of that consistency, that losing so many Grand Finals on the spin was a poor spell in this era as well.

Wigan have had rank bad spells since 1996, Leeds have and are having one, Wire have, Bradford have fell away completely and some teams have got nowhere near competing at the top consistently. I suppose it’s guys like McManus and Rush who take most credit for it (and guys in those positions previously) They’ve made mainly good appointments, mostly good signings and continued to focus on youth develop right throughout. 

• Like 7

I tried to read the article but there weren't enough ads on The Yorkshire Post web site for my liking.  I prefer 99% of the page to be pop up ads and not just 95%.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Interesting interview. My takeaways as follows:

• Smith has a much larger role in shaping all aspects of the football department than previous perception. Also is in responsible for recruitment. It appears that Hetherington delegates more than he used to
  • I find hard to agree with Hetherington's comments on 2024 ambitions and recruitment. It appears a complete mess to me, no succession planning, particularly in the key pivot positions. They deliberately ran down Sezer, Tetevano and Austin's contracts, wanting to wait until the end of the season before making a decision yet that has real consequences:
    • You get disgruntled players such as Austin who felt they'd done enough to deserve a new contract
    • Players will seek to secure their future elsewhere where they are valued
    • The club then has to plan for this and have replacements in line, which doesn't appear the case
    • Leaving recruitment so late for 2024 is relying heavily to luck than judgement and more than likely will be go after the scraps other clubs don't want
  • Reading between the lines, it doesn't appear likely that Newman will be at the club in 2025
  • I have some sympathy with the club in the Walters situation. When he chose to sign for Wigan, he was struggling to get into the team and his value to the club would have reflected that. Since then, he's been one of best performers and it looks like a error of judgement not to have pushed the boat out to retain him. To me though, Trout, Walters, Smithies, Wilson and Holroyd were the outstanding forward talents from that academy group and Leeds should have done more to retain the 3 we had on our books. I know not all players necessarily develop to senior level to fulfil their potential but I was a big fan of Walters and Trout and would have gone out of my way to ensure we retained them
  • Like 1

Just on Newman, all the talent in the world but unfortunately his injury record is poor (this could turn around) but the thing he needs to sort is his attitude on the field, it’s bizarre because he’s had a great attitude off the field to get through the injuries but he’s becoming increasingly petulant, it will cost him an international place and if he doesn’t sort it out it will cost him a decent contract with Leeds and maybe other clubs.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

It seems the only player Smith brought in that he had worked with before is Nene Macdonald...

Going great lads! What a culture being built arounf great characters!

Not sure you can blame the club for what Nenes done, seems out of character aswell.

Smith had worked with Lisone at the warriors as well i think.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I tried to read the article but there weren't enough ads on The Yorkshire Post web site for my liking.  I prefer 99% of the page to be pop up ads and not just 95%.

Yeah tried reading it too but the text wasn't jumping around my screen enough as new adverts popped up!!

Seriously, these sites are designed to actually stop people reading their articles and to make them click off the site it seems

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Not sure you can blame the club for what Nenes done, seems out of character aswell.

Smith had worked with Lisone at the warriors as well i think.

I'm not blaming the club, I'm just saying that a lot of that piece was about changing culture and recruitment based on character not just ability, and he is one of a group of recruits for this season that also includes Olpherts! Out of character suggests there is something greater afoot, which again doesn't seem great.

Up until a month or so ago Lisone wouldn’t have been a ringing endorsement either! 😅

6 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Just on Newman, all the talent in the world but unfortunately his injury record is poor (this could turn around) but the thing he needs to sort is his attitude on the field, it’s bizarre because he’s had a great attitude off the field to get through the injuries but he’s becoming increasingly petulant, it will cost him an international place and if he doesn’t sort it out it will cost him a decent contract with Leeds and maybe other clubs.

Newman is a classic example of where the squad has been in recent years. There's no-one to take him under their wing, or give him a good talking to that is senior and longstanding in the squad and of that sort of character.

He needs direction, leadership and control, yet he's playing like its under 9s at times.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Newman is a classic example of where the squad has been in recent years. There's no-one to take him under their wing, or give him a good talking to that is senior and longstanding in the squad and of that sort of character.

He needs direction, leadership and control, yet he's playing like its under 9s at times.

you may be correct, but how do you know that hasn't and not continues to be done.   I would have thought Martin as an international captain was somebody that may do that, as well as others. Plus the club still have JP and JJB around the club whom could and may well be doing what you say.

He may just be someone that listens to himself and others outside of the club... it does happen and I guess we could name a few.

• Like 1

Just now, redjonn said:

you may be correct, but how do you know that hasn't and not continues to be done.   I would have thought Martin as an international captain was somebody that may do that, as well as others. Plus the club still have JP and JJB around the club whom could and may well be doing what you say.

He may just be someone that listens to himself and others outside of the club... it does happen and I guess we could name a few.

I think there is a lack of a JP on the field though, and Martin has always struck me as a nice but not intimidating leader. 

Was it Holroyd that Newman had a bust up in the tunnel with? 

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think there is a lack of a JP on the field though, and Martin has always struck me as a nice but not intimidating leader. 

Was it Holroyd that Newman had a bust up in the tunnel with? 

I think that was what was reported in one game.

Mind you I have observed Newman having a go at other players on the pitch when someone has made an error or not been were Newman thinks he should have been when a pass from him goes astray - Handley & Sezer as just an example in the Huddersfield game.... plus most games. 

I get the sense he wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea as a team mate.... seems quick to point a finger at someone else and a bit of a gobby bully type.

Edited by redjonn
  • Like 2

On 15/09/2023 at 20:18, Tommygilf said:

I'm not blaming the club, I'm just saying that a lot of that piece was about changing culture and recruitment based on character not just ability, and he is one of a group of recruits for this season that also includes Olpherts! Out of character suggests there is something greater afoot, which again doesn't seem great.

Up until a month or so ago Lisone wouldn’t have been a ringing endorsement either! 😅

Character and culture begins with the head coach. Get the right person and it can change instantly.

I remember when Wigan were a shambles for years and had some grim years under Millward and Noble, not too disimilar to Leeds in recent years. Then in 2010 Michael Maguire was appointed and instantly changed the culture. After years of disappointing mid season finishes he transformed the club in just one pre-season and in his first season we started the season top of the league and stayed there all year then won the Grand Final. Just as importantly the culture he instilled stayed way after he left and is still felt to this day.

• Like 3

On 15/09/2023 at 20:24, Tommygilf said:

I think Newman probably needs to leave Headingley for his own sake. For whatever reason he seems way to big for his boots and has too much of an ego for what he has actually achieved in the game. He seems to think he is better than all of those around him. Now that may continue somewhere else but I have a feeling that it would be kept in check far more at a club like Saints or Wigan, where he would be starting again and would need to prove himself, and frankly I don't think those clubs would tolerate it either.

49 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think Newman probably needs to leave Headingley for his own sake. For whatever reason he seems way to big for his boots and has too much of an ego for what he has actually achieved in the game. He seems to think he is better than all of those around him. Now that may continue somewhere else but I have a feeling that it would be kept in check far more at a club like Saints or Wigan, where he would be starting again and would need to prove himself, and frankly I don't think those clubs would tolerate it either.

The problem for Newman is that his approach is almost tailor made for the likes of Wigan and Saints to pass him over.

Those two clubs more than any others have realised that attitude is every bit as important as talent. Catalans finding consistency has coincided with them giving up on their quest to sign as many talented but hideously unprofessional players they could lay their hands on.

Players who spend most of their time screaming at their own team mates as if they aren't worthy of playing with you isn't top of the recruitment hit list at succesful clubs.

In his own head he probably thinks he's some sort of Roy Keane and doesn't realise he just comes across like a toddler rather than someone leading by example and being demanding. He should look to someone like Mark Percival in his position who is the epitome of professionalism and hard work with arguably much less natuaral talent.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 4

Smith has to stay, in my view. We're talking a well-run Leeds club here, not a basket case US-owned soccer club with a penchant for interim managers. SL needs a strong, competitive Leeds side to counter the west-of-pennines dominance or else the game will be regarded as even more geographically- isolated than it is now.   Hull KR can't carry the eastern banner alone.

Stability is key, in my view, as is managerial/ coaching authority and discipline. Players who won't toe the line need to be shown the door pdq. 

54 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Stability is key, in my view, as is managerial/ coaching authority and discipline. Players who won't toe the line need to be shown the door pdq. 

Which is happening yet fans see that as there’s unrest in the camp, you can say what you want about smith but he isn’t afraid of getting rid of players, weve needed that for years IMO

The rumours are going round as they in times like this . I.E  complete lack of discipline players turning up late for training or not turning up . You get stuff like this ,but its clears it's not quite right at the club .in fact something seriously wrong . Similar to the mercenaries at the club of the other code in south Leeds 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

47 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

The rumours are going round as they in times like this . I.E  complete lack of discipline players turning up late for training or not turning up . You get stuff like this ,but its clears it's not quite right at the club .in fact something seriously wrong . Similar to the mercenaries at the club of the other code in south Leeds 

No leadership, no accountability and no authority. Those 3 things sum up the club right now.

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Rumours going round from where?

The only thing ive seen is that Macdonald was late for training. Rumours like this always seem to surface and it’s usually disgruntled fans making it up.

• 6 months later...

Well after another defeat at home, and a particularly big one at that, and another poor performance surely Leeds must now be seriously questioning if Smith can continue as coach. Its his team, with plenty of big name and big money recruits but the same poor Leeds performances. He surely carries the can for this.