Ratings for Challenge Cup Final.

"The

final had an audience average of 1million on BBC ONE with a peak of 1.4million. Those the overnight figures; may be higher when all calculations done. And Tottenham a superb venue for a Cup Final. Hope we go there again."

Get 20 000 of those watching to go in person and you`ve got a full-house. Plenty there for IMG and the RFL to work with.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

"The

final had an audience average of 1million on BBC ONE with a peak of 1.4million. Those the overnight figures; may be higher when all calculations done. And Tottenham a superb venue for a Cup Final. Hope we go there again."

Get 20 000 of those watching to go in person and you`ve got a full-house. Plenty there for IMG and the RFL to work with.

Get 20,000 of those watching to go in person and we’ve got 10,000 watching from the car park! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Plenty there for IMG and the RFL to work with.

And I think they know that or they wouldn't be involved.

14 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Game 8/10

Event 5/10

This is not a go at your post Scubby just a rant about the constant need to assess and quatify it reminds of things like Ofsted and people like Jay Raynor making a living off making other people's lives miserable and walking away.

"It's nothing personal ......." except it is for all those people it happens to.

• Like 4

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

And I think they know that or they wouldn't be involved.

This is not a go at your post Scubby just a rant about the constant need to assess and quatify it reminds of things like Ofsted and people like Jay Raynor making a living off making other people's lives miserable and walking away.

"It's nothing personal ......." except it is for all those people it happens to.

It was more a play on words with the thread title than anything forensic mate 🙂 You should know me by now

• Like 1

Just now, Scubby said:

It was more a play on words with the thread title than anything forensic mate 🙂 You should know me by now

As I said Scubby never your post just what it reminded me of.

I thought the final was good.

And it needs to be said as often as possible the positives of our sport mean there's plenty for IMG to work with!

• Like 1

Just now, Oxford said:

As I said Scubby never your post just what it reminded me of.

I thought the final was good.

And it needs to be said as often as possible the positives of our sport mean there's plenty for IMG to work with!

The match and the stadium will satisfy many of the die hards. TBF that's all I care about really.

However, people I know (lapsed RL family members and friends) and work with are less wedded to the actual sport itself and are more interested in having a good time at a sports event. They are used to music festivals and an event which is working hard to keep them interested and providing value for money. Bizarrely to some on here, the ticket price is often less of a concern than the quality of the event.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The match and the stadium will satisfy many of the die hards. TBF that's all I care about really.

However, people I know (lapsed RL family members and friends) and work with are less wedded to the actual sport itself and are more interested in having a good time at a sports event. They are used to music festivals and an event which is working hard to keep them interested and providing value for money. Bizarrely to some on here, the ticket price is often less of a concern than the quality of the event.

Not wedded to the sport what a bunch of of weirdos and perverts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not bad, nor particularly good. About the level that we've been bumping along at for about a decade. 

It's about half what the Hundred final got on the BBC last summer, which if you think of how much they threw at that and how much promotion they got, perhaps doesn't reflect too badly on us.

But it's also a target level we should definitely be aiming for if we're serious about expanding our audience and widening our demographic like they did. 

Major internationals and flagship finals on the BBC should be aiming to peak at around 3 mln, hopefully IMG can help us get there. 

Get those sort of TV numbers then providing we have the dates and venues locked in advance (big if, I know) then we should be able to achive pretty full stadiums too. 

20 minutes ago, Scubby said:

As a general rule, I tend to buy more expensive things as they are usually better quality (not always of course, but it is a fair rule).

If I don't know anything about an event or a sport, if the tickets are cheap I will probably not bother with it because it will probably be rubbish.

And I say this knowing I may get some stick on here - but it is true - and it will also be true of many other people who we think will be attracted to the sport if we just offer them cheap tickets.

There are probably a number of way to attract new fans to live Rugby League games, but being cheap is not one of them.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

As a general rule, I tend to buy more expensive things as they are usually better quality (not always of course, but it is a fair rule).

If I don't know anything about an event or a sport, if the tickets are cheap I will probably not bother with it because it will probably be rubbish.

And I say this knowing I may get some stick on here - but it is true - and it will also be true of many other people who we think will be attracted to the sport if we just offer them cheap tickets.

There are probably a number of way to attract new fans to live Rugby League games, but being cheap is not one of them.

Yes, incentives like beer tokens, merchandise vouchers, free hats/caps/scarves can be just as useful as a panic discount on the ticket price.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yes, incentives like beer tokens, merchandise vouchers, free hats/caps/scarves can be just as useful as a panic discount on the ticket price.

totally agree.. every ticket holder at the Lakers game i went to (I will stop going on about it at some point, but it really showed up our events/matches here IMHO) got a free Jersey (doesnt have to be, a cap etc is just as good).. doesn't half help you buy into a team! we had already bought caps but now the family are Lakers fans (if we ever follow the basketball)... it doesnt take much but we may buy more merch at times down the road, if they came to London I would probably try and get tickets etc the simplest thing can make a big difference! But you're right we seem to put the money into the wrong things to actually engage the audience. 

All that said, I loved the final again. Asked my son if he would go as a neutral again and he said yes to either Tottenham or Wembley. Asked him if he would go to the 1895 cup as a neutral again, he said no. Asked him if he fancied going down early if there was stuff to do around the stadium with players/past players games etc and he said yes, at which point my daughter said "if they had all that could I come".... I mean its not scientific at all but its not rocket science either.  Get out and ask people what they want, but you have a great game at great stadiums so you have a brilliant base to work from, then its getting people off the sofa and in and what will make them do that?!? and then what makes them go to the next Super League or Champ match, what makes them invest their time and "buy into" the sport.

Edited by RP London
  • Like 7

i'll bet the Rugby League are more than happy with the attendance and receipts probably about two and a half million after costs,i think we will be back there after next years final.

• Like 3

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

This is a good TV audience. It was a great product on TV - exciting game, well presented, good atmosphere. Invariably it is with the Challenge Cup Final : you get an enthralling game 80% of the time, which is far higher than in football or cricket finals.

As always, the onus is on the RFL and their partners to use it and grow it. Invest even more in the event and make it a prestige ticket that makes even more money for our game. I'm not saying it is easy, but other promoters manage it with much ropier products.

• Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 hours ago, RP London said:

totally agree.. every ticket holder at the Lakers game i went to (I will stop going on about it at some point, but it really showed up our events/matches here IMHO) got a free Jersey (doesnt have to be, a cap etc is just as good).. doesn't half help you buy into a team! we had already bought caps but now the family are Lakers fans (if we ever follow the basketball)... it doesnt take much but we may buy more merch at times down the road, if they came to London I would probably try and get tickets etc the simplest thing can make a big difference! But you're right we seem to put the money into the wrong things to actually engage the audience. 

All that said, I loved the final again. Asked my son if he would go as a neutral again and he said yes to either Tottenham or Wembley. Asked him if he would go to the 1895 cup as a neutral again, he said no. Asked him if he fancied going down early if there was stuff to do around the stadium with players/past players games etc and he said yes, at which point my daughter said "if they had all that could I come".... I mean its not scientific at all but its not rocket science either.  Get out and ask people what they want, but you have a great game at great stadiums so you have a brilliant base to work from, then its getting people off the sofa and in and what will make them do that?!? and then what makes them go to the next Super League or Champ match, what makes them invest their time and "buy into" the sport.

Yes putting on more matches at the same venue is not what neutral fans want or some diehards its an event plenty of pre match entertainment in and around the stadium, other sports work hard on this to such an extent the actual match quality is not important. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

That tv audience is a bit underwhelming for me to be honest.

On what basis, though?

Compared with previous years? 

Compared with other sporting events?

What level is acceptable?

3 hours ago, RP London said:

What sport do the Lakers play? Feel free to keep going on about it, I frequently find myself watching really obscure teams around the country whenever I'm on holiday somewhere. I'm guessing they're a non-league handball team from Cumbria? That would be a great shirt to have in my collection, I haven't got any handball shirts, you should cherish that! 😉

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

What sport do the Lakers play? Feel free to keep going on about it, I frequently find myself watching really obscure teams around the country whenever I'm on holiday somewhere. I'm guessing they're a non-league handball team from Cumbria? That would be a great shirt to have in my collection, I haven't got any handball shirts, you should cherish that! 😉

I now have a new ambition for my life.. i WANT that Cumbrian Handball team to exist!!!! I recon @gingerjon maybe up for this too.. 

Edited by RP London
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yep if it was a 5.30pm kick off it would get 3m+ It is solid ratings for a mid afternoon weekend time slot

I think that's a bit of a leap. People dont just watch whatever's put on anymore, they only watch if they want to. I remember a few years ago we got 1.5mln for a CC semi that was on BBC2 on a Friday night. The RFL celebrated the number, but the BBC said nope, you're not having that slot again with those figures, and sent us back to Saturday afternoon. 

Ultimately, the ratings are half what the Hundred final had on a Saturday tea time, and around the same as the Women's FA Cup Final and Women's Hundred final in the afternoons. 

So they're solid in the sense that they're stable over the last decade. There's a fairly reliable rugby league audience that always tunes in. It's a decent place to start. 

But it's an underwhelming number if were still trying to say were one of England's major sports. In the face of ever more sporting competitors, we need to start growing our audience. I'm optimistic that IMG will be able to help us do that, but it's getting pretty urgent now. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I haven't got any handball shirts, you should cherish that! 😉

The only one you need

https://www.achetez-usdk.com/index.php?id_product=93&controller=product

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I think that's a bit of a leap. People dont just watch whatever's put on anymore, they only watch if they want to. I remember a few years ago we got 1.5mln for a CC semi that was on BBC2 on a Friday night. The RFL celebrated the number, but the BBC said nope, you're not having that slot again with those figures, and sent us back to Saturday afternoon. 

Ultimately, the ratings are half what the Hundred final had on a Saturday tea time, and around the same as the Women's FA Cup Final and Women's Hundred final in the afternoons. 

So they're solid in the sense that they're stable over the last decade. There's a fairly reliable rugby league audience that always tunes in. It's a decent place to start. 

But it's an underwhelming number if were still trying to say were one of England's major sports. In the face of ever more sporting competitors, we need to start growing our audience. I'm optimistic that IMG will be able to help us do that, but it's getting pretty urgent now. 

5.30pm kick off would mean 7.15pm for the last 15 minutes of that game. It would have got 3m+ on a Sat night easily. That is when The Hundred Final and 6N RU slots are on.

For Saturday afternoon 1.4m with 1m average is fine.