Sat 18 Jun: England v Combined Nations All Stars KO 17:45 (Sky)

Who will win?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Combined Nations All Stars by 1 to 6 points
    • Combined Nations All Stars by 7 to 12 points
    • Combined Nations All Stars by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/06/22 at 17:15

30 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Late retreaters, lie-ons, wrestle, the re-gaining of feet, the stepping over the ball (occasionally with the boot contacting the ball). Somebody like a north-south scooter like Clark would be primed to exploit opportunities as a match went on.

Ah okay thanks, so it is just the play the ball as the other poster mentioned as well. 

I always thought ruck was an RU term and have noticed it used more in RL discussions over the past couple of years and was never sure what it 100% was. 

You learn something new every day 🙂

• Like 1

Some good things but weirdly I feel like both halves played well yet even stating that I don’t think we were overly creative.

Desperately lacking in pace out wide and Farnworth+Young would rectify that if available.

Bateman had a good game and would like to see him stay in the middle where he can get more involved.

Welsby looks too good not to feature somewhere in the 17 at minimum which pains me to say as a lifelong Wigan fan.

Mcshane has surely played his way out of contention and imo has never looked proper international class. 

5 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Lots of negativity about this test but I saw two very entertaining games today (on TV). The big plus for me was the womens game. Some seriously great play and there's some real talent in the England team. 

A test match is the best players from one country playing against the best players from another country. This was not a test and caps shouldn't have been awarded. England were literally offering squad players to the CNAS if they couldn't find 17 earlier this week and that was after Leeming and Clark made the side.

It was an enjoyable preparation fixture and it was nice to see some players get a run out. The first game was a test match of course.

2 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I thought it was actually quite fun and geographically wide-ranging in how they brought up underage/academy/u-19 tournaments in Italy and Galway, and then joked about which was a more enjoyable location.

I thought Baz was in good form tonight, and I'm not a huge fan of his commentary. The bit where he ruefully said that he'd been following play and missed a coming-together made me chuckle.

I didn't mind the banter from him tonight, TBH.

And that's the problem, it's supposed to be commentary on a live sports game, it's not supposed to be a light hearted chat show with Barrie's mates.

47 minutes ago, Scubby said:

A test match is the best players from one country playing against the best players from another country. This was not a test and caps shouldn't have been awarded. England were literally offering squad players to the CNAS if they couldn't find 17 earlier this week and that was after Leeming and Clark made the side.

It was an enjoyable preparation fixture and it was nice to see some players get a run out. The first game was a test match of course.

England were literally offering squad players

so not actually, only literally? 😊

But yes, it wasn't an International in the true sense. It was one step up from a friendly and I'm sure Wane learned a lot from watching how his players  performed.

• Like 1

Daryl Clark is a bit of a headless chicken, going off half-cocked up the middle. I really amn't sure he has all that much else to his game.

Chucking him on to spurt around the ruck against a tiring line might bring a bit of joy for England. He would be a good interchange option.

A good interchange option.... for Roby!

We need to get him to commit to the WC.

• Like 2

I think this fixture should be played at the end of every season as it's a great way to showcase talent both English and foreign that super league has to offer.  Unfortunately i couldn't watch the game live so i don't know if the English 'dads army' was lucky or deserved the win. But what troubles me is not the age of the squad but the players that where named to it, with only this fixture and Samoa before the world cup i thought we would put out a more competitive side, unless we think this England side will be starters in the world cup.

6 hours ago, Stanley30 said:

Ah okay thanks, so it is just the play the ball as the other poster mentioned as well. 

I always thought ruck was an RU term and have noticed it used more in RL discussions over the past couple of years and was never sure what it 100% was. 

You learn something new every day 🙂

Probably a cross-over term. I've noticed in RU that they are using the term ''sets'' a lot more to refer to defence.

6 hours ago, meast said:

And that's the problem, it's supposed to be commentary on a live sports game, it's not supposed to be a light hearted chat show with Barrie's mates.

What I don't like is the rote, repetitive, unimaginative recycled phrases that he and Tez all too often churn out.

I thought the banter last night was off-the-cuff and pleasantly light-hearted. It didn't wear on my nerves at least.

10 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

Hanley speaks very well. Wish he’d do some TV work in place of B’n’T.

Or even better as a member of the National team coaching setup,even if it’s at academy or knights level.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Sarge is still in Wane's thoughts.

''Dan Sarginson [of Salford] is injured and knows I will pick him if he is flying over the next few months."

Shaun Wane: England boss says '10 spots' still available for World Cup - BBC Sport

Well I think that is a prime example of biased as he's been pants for us and has just been a walking penalty machine who seems to spend more time in the stands than on the pitch. 

Gotta feel sorry for other young centres who are playing each week and really pushing hard for recognition 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stanley30 said:

Well I think that is a prime example of biased as he's been pants for us and has just been a walking penalty machine who seems to spend more time in the stands than on the pitch. 

Gotta feel sorry for other young centres who are playing each week and really pushing hard for recognition 

Yeah, the fact that he's being talked about as a potential WC centre has to make one wonder. There are plenty of people in front of him, young and old.

7 hours ago, The Lad said:

I think this fixture should be played at the end of every season as it's a great way to showcase talent both English and foreign that super league has to offer.  Unfortunately i couldn't watch the game live so i don't know if the English 'dads army' was lucky or deserved the win. But what troubles me is not the age of the squad but the players that where named to it, with only this fixture and Samoa before the world cup i thought we would put out a more competitive side, unless we think this England side will be starters in the world cup.

I can't see someone as professional, proud and dedicated as Shaun Wane picking players for the sake of it.

I suspect the majority of those will be in his plans for the world cup, Tomkins, Makinson, Welsby, Williams, Walmsley, Bateman, Farrell, would be definites, along with Whitehead, and maybe Burgess.

I think the likes of Hall and Watkins, add vast experience and quality , and while they aren't the future, Wane's immediate concern is winning the world cup, Leeming is the best hooker we have at the moment, I wouldn't be relying on the 2 Mcs at 9 either.

11 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

I've just had a look at the SL squads and I came up with these 22 names who IMO aren't much different in ability (in some cases better) than those selected. I didn't pick any England players either:

Prop - Paasi, Kasiano, Satae, Whitbread

Satae played in the match as an interchange.

24 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Oh do stop being pedandic.  We all know what point was being made.  

I know what the point was, I just don't agree with how it was made... especially as it was used to undermine the win.

If someone had said that this was the strongest CNAS team that could have been assembled, I would have disagreed with it as some quality players who were eligible were not playing.

However, equally calling it the 3rd strongest squad is also wrong as that says 30+ players better than those who played were omitted... again clearly wrong.

If asking for a realistic description of the situation is pedantic then I am happy to be pedantic. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I know what the point was, I just don't agree with how it was made... especially as it was used to undermine the win.

If someone had said that this was the strongest CNAS team that could have been assembled, I would have disagreed with it as some quality players who were eligible were not playing.

However, equally calling it the 3rd strongest squad is also wrong as that says 30+ players better than those who played were omitted... again clearly wrong.

If asking for a realistic description of the situation is pedantic then I am happy to be pedantic. 

Indeed, its a fair challenge to somebody when they are making silly statements just to undermine the England team. 

Teams always have players missing, that's life, the All Stars had a decent team out, played in a decent game and England delivered a solid win - something they have failed at a few times in this fixture! 

13 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

It’s a shame but it’s probably true. There are some classic old games on SKY from the 90s and early Super League, which show how great open rugby can be as a spectacle. Imagine if we could market that sort of champagne stuff at a World Cup rather than six drives and a kick, and 80 mins of defence.

That type of Rugby went out of fashion when every team had to have 19 stone 10 minute behomoths and multiple interchanges to stifle the playmakers, 5 drives and a kick perfectly followed.

Yeah, the fact that he's being talked about as a potential WC centre has to make one wonder. There are plenty of people in front of him, young and old.

Sarginson was outstanding in the tri-nations in 2014 I think but since then has rarely shown consistent runs of high quality and I say that as someone who is a fan of him.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Indeed, its a fair challenge to somebody when they are making silly statements just to undermine the England team. 

Teams always have players missing, that's life, the All Stars had a decent team out, played in a decent game and England delivered a solid win - something they have failed at a few times in this fixture! 

Of the CNAS 17 I think only Miller, Croft and Leeming have never played full international games.

Several of those out there will be strong contenders to feature in the World Cup squads for Tonga and Samoa.

A fair way from the best they could field but still a lot of quality rugby league players.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Having said that, I don't expect Wane to pick either of the latter two as I think he is too conservative for that.

Mr Wane's conservatism will be England's Achilles Heel in the upcoming WC, his selection of yesterday's old men who quite frankly when in their pomp were prooved to be not good enough to win any prizes on the biggest international  stages, will not improve has they enter ther twilight of their carrears and are not as nimble and agile as they once were.

Apart from those down under this was what Mr Wane deemed to be his best selection and even more scary his preparation for what is to come, I wish I could drum up as much enthusiasm as some of our posters for our chances come October/November but sadly I can't, I think we will do well to reach the semi's.

There are those who say that winning the WC would be the best tonic for the game in this country and it would create more interest in both participation and spectator levels, conversely would a dissapointing tournament have the opposite effect?

• Like 1