Sat 18 Jun: England v Combined Nations All Stars KO 17:45 (Sky)

Who will win?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Combined Nations All Stars by 1 to 6 points
    • Combined Nations All Stars by 7 to 12 points
    • Combined Nations All Stars by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/06/22 at 17:15

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think we’ve been boring to watch (Wane’s influence)

Don’t get me wrong I’ll take winning the WC by being boring!

It’s a shame but it’s probably true. There are some classic old games on SKY from the 90s and early Super League, which show how great open rugby can be as a spectacle. Imagine if we could market that sort of champagne stuff at a World Cup rather than six drives and a kick, and 80 mins of defence.

Edited by Desert Skipper

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Decent England win. Typically Shaun Wane solid yet unspectacular rugby. 

Williams has removed any doubt about being England scrum-half. Welsby looked the part. McMeeken and Hall ought to make the squad. A few doubts about others eg McShane.

Welsby has to be in the 13 somewhere. Centre if it is not full back or half back. He just looks special.

• Like 1

I think this game has certainly served its purpose. Some players have shown they probably aren't at the required level, others have shown they have the potential to be, and other players who may have been dismissed have reminded us that they still have something to offer.

I think the England squad for the World Cup is probably easier to pick now, but with still plenty of room for improvement.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Welsby has to be in the 13 somewhere. Centre if it is not full back or half back. He just looks special.

I think i'd be ok with Welsby being the starting full back ahead of sam Tomkins. I think if he's in the team it has to be at full back.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

That ex-Wigan and Canberra bloke Williams looked useful. Who's he playing for these days? :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It was a pretty uninspiring performance but at least England got the victory. Aside from Bateman and Welsby no one really excelled for England. It was competent, rather than good. The only player to play badly was McShane, but fortunately Leeming was impressive for CNAS so it's not really an issue.

All it really showed is England's strength in depth is poor and the best we could come up with was a 2 score victory over what is possibly the 3rd strongest squad the CNAS could have fielded. If it was actually the best available overseas players involved I think England would have been beaten again.

The NRL based players will ensure we're competitive in the World Cup but it really doesn't look like a generation of players that could really win a tournament.

It’s going to be me that says it…what was the attendance? As good as the ground plan suggested?*

* I didn’t watch the game, it’s a genuine question, I’m not attempting to have a go at the concept, England, The RFL, Warrington etc. 

4 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

Hanley speaks very well. Wish he’d do some TV work in place of B’n’T.

I wish anyone would do some TV work instead of those two!

Hanley very occasionally does but as one of the greats of the game is criminally underused. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think we’ve been boring to watch (Wane’s influence)

Don’t get me wrong I’ll take winning the WC by being boring!

I agree. But England have been boring for a while now, Bennett was the most negative coach I've ever seen, and I watched Wire under Steve Price. Wane was always going to be more of the same at best. 

I worry about his negative selections, there are signs that Wane may be outdated and out of touch like a few players, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and support him through the world cup and see what he and they do. 

10 minutes ago, Jughead said:

It’s going to be me that says it…what was the attendance? As good as the ground plan suggested?*

* I didn’t watch the game, it’s a genuine question, I’m not attempting to have a go at the concept, England, The RFL, Warrington etc. 

Don't know the number, but it was poor. Maybe 6k? Maybe lower. 

Just now, Damien said:

I wish anyone would do some TV work instead of those two!

Hanley very occasionally does but as one of the greats of the game is criminally underused. 

Ellery has a bit of a reputation as being difficult with the media if he's not in the mood. I can recall some horrific car-crash exchanges in the past.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

All it really showed is England's strength in depth is poor and the best we could come up with was a 2 score victory over what is possibly the 3rd strongest squad the CNAS could have fielded.

Think that is a stretch.  Which 34 players would you have selected ahead of those on show today?

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

It was a pretty uninspiring performance but at least England got the victory. Aside from Bateman and Welsby no one really excelled for England. It was competent, rather than good. The only player to play badly was McShane, but fortunately Leeming was impressive for CNAS so it's not really an issue.

All it really showed is England's strength in depth is poor and the best we could come up with was a 2 score victory over what is possibly the 3rd strongest squad the CNAS could have fielded. If it was actually the best available overseas players involved I think England would have been beaten again.

The NRL based players will ensure we're competitive in the World Cup but it really doesn't look like a generation of players that could really win a tournament.

I think these are funny games and we can't read too much into the results. The All Stars had a lot of very good players out there, they would have beaten most nations we would face at a World Cup. It was a good run out, although I can't help but feel we should have tested a couple of new lads I stead of the likes of Hall. 

I thought a few of the pack out themselves about pretty well against a big team. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Don't know the number, but it was poor. Maybe 6k? Maybe lower. 

That’s a shame. It looked promising from the social media output and stadium maps online. Still, more than last year I would guess, though I think that had a cap because of covid and I would still say that it probably has a place in the season next year, too. 

• Like 1