Sat 16th-Sun 17th Jul: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Discuss this week's Betfred League One games here.

SATURDAY 16th JULY 
West Wales Raiders v North Wales Crusaders KO 15:00

SUNDAY 17th JULY
Hunslet v London Skolars KO 15:00
Keighley Cougars v Cornwall KO 13:00 (OuRLeague)
Oldham v Doncaster KO 15:00
Swinton Lions v Midlands Hurricanes KO 15:00

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

SATURDAY 16th JULY 

SUNDAY 17th JULY

West Wales Raiders 4-38 North Wales Crusaders

Hunslet 30-10 London Skolars

Keighley 60-12 Cornwall

Oldham 32-22 Doncaster

Swinton 44-18 Midlands Hurricanes

West Wales Raiders 12 v 44 North Wales Crusaders
Hunslet 32 v 18 London Skolars
Keighley Cougars 80 v 12 Cornwall 
Oldham 26 v 24 Doncaster

Swinton Lions 36 v 22 Midlands Hurricanes

Was men against boys when Lions played down here at the start of the season. We have improved since then but need to find the energy that was missing last week if we are to make a game of it. 

On 13/07/2022 at 18:18, John Drake said:

SATURDAY 16th JULY 

SUNDAY 17th JULY

NW - by 30

Skolars by 10 & the doctor will score the winner

Keighley by 30

Oldham by 6

lions by 20

• Haha 1

I'm going out on a limb and predicting a Doncaster win. We're resting Boas due to the 4g pitch. Hopefully weve enough in the halves with Johnston and Robinson. Taulapapa and Howe are both available at full back. Cockayne on the bench and fingers crossed we're covered. Shame we have to rest Watson though.

Keighley 68 Cornwall 0

Including yesterday's Raiders-Crusaders result, they are big scores but anyone who thinks that Raiders and Cornwall are an embarrassment should take a look at some of the recent Super League results.

Edit: Or Workington.

Edited by tim2
  • Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

55 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Keighley 68 Cornwall 0

Including yesterday's Raiders-Crusaders reulst, they are big scores but anyone who thinks that Raiders and Cornwall are an embarrassment should take a look at some of the recent Super League results.

Difference is these teams get beat by similar scores every week not just occasionally 

• Sad 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

53 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Difference is these teams get beat by similar scores every week not just occasionally 

Oldham don't. Do we seem to be hitting our stride? Bear in mind we rested Boas today. Keighley apart is there anyone Doncaster can't beat?

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

Keighley 68 Cornwall 0

Including yesterday's Raiders-Crusaders reulst, they are big scores but anyone who thinks that Raiders and Cornwall are an embarrassment should take a look at some of the recent Super League results.

Have to agree with you.

Some well drilled and disciplined teams have come to Cougar Park this year.

Been impressed by them.

Keighley are on fire this year.

Hurricanes gave away some cheap points at Swinton today but were actually much better than last week. I'd say the scoreline flatters the Lions a little but they are a classy side. Credit to both teams for a cracking game in the heat. 

Midlands are getting good value from the current crop of loans/Dr's. Defending is good for the most part and we just need to be a bit more decisive at the other end. Confident we can give Keighley a good fight next week. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Small piece of information, as a consequence of today's results Keighley and the Crusaders have qualified for the playoffs.

Technically you're right, but in reality Keighly would now have to lose at least four of their last seven games to "qualify" for the playoffs. They are by far the best team we have played this year and automatic promotion is now theirs to lose.

As for the Cru, this year's target was to reach the playoffs, and to secure that place with six games to spare is a fantastic achievement. When you consider the small fanbase, one of the lowest budgets in the league, being almost entirely dependent on social media and word of mouth for public awareness that we even exist, and then add the quality of the other teams in League 1 this year, I'd say this is our biggest achievement so far as a club.

With the top six now starting to break away from the rest, the playoffs have now, in a manner of speaking, already started, and with the obvious exception of Keighley, it's impossible to pick another team for promotion.

Edited by fearnowt
  • Like 4

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

On 18/07/2022 at 09:50, glemiln said:

What is the format for the play-offs?

It's a bit complicated to explain here, but basically a team is eliminated each week over four weeks, until you have the playoff winner. The team finishing second gets a bye in the first week and plays for the chance to host the final in the second week, so the order the teams finish the regular season determines their respective route to the final.

There's a bit of an explanation on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFL_League_1#:~:text=In the play-offs first,clubs finishing third and fourth.

Edited by fearnowt

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/