Odsal Sports City

7 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

They’d have to add on another zero. The cost of getting the equipment down there alone must be through the roof (pub only slightly intended). Be cheaper to just fill the hole in and rebuild at ground level. 

"They said it couldn't be done, so he didn't do it!" from a poem I can't remember but it always sounded like TGG to me.

• Haha 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Odsal redevelopment stories are so frequent and  regular that you can synchronise your clocks by them. Cheaper and more accurate than an atomic clock.

Some 32 years ago we loaned a workstation and architectural design and visualization software to some architect or other who was working on such a proposal.  Needless to say.....

• Like 1

Utter delusion.

The reason most older builders are pulled down, rather than being redeveloped - unless they are listed - is because its massively cheaper.

Odsal will NEVER be redeveloped into a rugby / sports stadium. The sooner people realise / accept this and move on the better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Oxford said:

"They said it couldn't be done, so he didn't do it!" from a poem I can't remember but it always sounded like TGG to me.

Edgar guest , it's been my ' mantra ' for 30 years since my mum gave me a copy of it when I started my business 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Edgar guest , it's been my ' mantra ' for 30 years since my mum gave me a copy of it when I started my business 

So your Mam told you you can do anything but not RL can too!

• Haha 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

11 minutes ago, Oxford said:

So your Mam told you you can do anything but not RL can too!

Somebody said " it couldn't be done " the point of issue with Odsal is , " Why do it ? " Because it's massively cheaper to do it differently , you would quite literally be tipping money down a big hole 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Somebody said " it couldn't be done " the point of issue with Odsal is , " Why do it ? " Because it's massively cheaper to do it differently , you would quite literally be tipping money down a big hole 

Exactly.

If one were to build a cathedral to rugby league in Bradford that could be home to the Bulls *and* used as a venue for major games, you'd not be looking at giving Odsal a fresh coat of paint and a new roof.

You would, I reckon, be looking at stadia like the new one in Brentford and saying: let's do that.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Exactly.

If one were to build a cathedral to rugby league in Bradford that could be home to the Bulls *and* used as a venue for major games, you'd not be looking at giving Odsal a fresh coat of paint and a new roof.

You would, I reckon, be looking at stadia like the new one in Brentford and saying: let's do that.

But no one is going to fund it, ever. 

1 minute ago, Hemi4561 said:

But no one is going to fund it, ever. 

Probably not.

But they're not funding the kind of rebuilding at Odsal that the artists' plans keep suggesting either.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 15/07/2022 at 17:33, RigbyLuger said:

How the second name is still allowed to cover games by the RFL after his rant about Rimmer is beyond me.

He seems to be the go to for a lot of RL '######' at the moment. I know several coaches refuse to talk to him due to his style of 'reporting'.

www.donsstats.co.uk - Full results and player stats for Doncaster RLFC from 1951 to the current day.

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Probably not.

But they're not funding the kind of rebuilding at Odsal that the artists' plans keep suggesting either.

The simple fact is that no one is going to fund/build a ground for Bradford Rugby League to play in, either at the xxxxx Hole, or any where else. So many people have no idea about what Bradford as a place actually is. 

It's based on a successful bid from the Levelling up fund

The club/Council have nothing to lose by applying for it. Infact it would be a poor business decision if they didn't put a bid in.

Hull had £90 million investment when they were awarded city of culture, best and probably last chance Bulls will have.

40 minutes ago, Bulls2487 said:

It's based on a successful bid from the Levelling up fund

The club/Council have nothing to lose by applying for it. Infact it would be a poor business decision if they didn't put a bid in.

Hull had £90 million investment when they were awarded city of culture, best and probably last chance Bulls will have.

I wonder where the people of Bradford will get naked ? 😂

7 hours ago, crashmon said:

sounds like somebody should call Annika Rice, "on the next edition of Challenge Annika, we transform Odsal into a international wembley of the North, just needs a lick of paint and a couple of seat covers"

Get with the times grandad, it's Nick Knowles and DIY SOS they need now...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Its ' Gold Rush ' and some bloody big bulldozers they need 

What's that one with the 2 location location location presenters, love it or leave it ir something.

Maybe the Bulls could go on that, though no doubt the one trying to convince them to keep up will just say "sod that, fill it in, move on...."

• Haha 1

On 17/07/2022 at 20:20, Hemi4561 said:

The simple fact is that no one is going to fund/build a ground for Bradford Rugby League to play in, either at the xxxxx Hole, or any where else. So many people have no idea about what Bradford as a place actually is. 

I am one of those. Could you enlighten us then?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I am one of those. Could you enlighten us then?

Population of approx 530,000.Nearly 66% of the 143 square miles that "Bradford" covers is rural. According to google I live 11.7 miles from the tip. I will let you research which areas were swallowed up in 1974 to create "Bradford" and since then have paid their taxes to be spent no where near where the money came from. Have you seen the pxxs puddle in Bradford city centre?, it cost 24.4 million. In short "Bradford"  as far as rugby league goes comprises of probably less than 1% of the total population, in 2011 more than 26% of the population were of south east Asian ethnicity which we know means they aren't interested. Of the other nearly 300,000 Bradfordians maybe 50,000 curse "Bradford" as a failed political construct, and as for "Bradford Bulls" I could probably find 5000 people who would be very happy if they had gone out of business years ago.

58 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

Population of approx 530,000.Nearly 66% of the 143 square miles that "Bradford" covers is rural. According to google I live 11.7 miles from the tip. I will let you research which areas were swallowed up in 1974 to create "Bradford" and since then have paid their taxes to be spent no where near where the money came from. Have you seen the pxxs puddle in Bradford city centre?, it cost 24.4 million. In short "Bradford"  as far as rugby league goes comprises of probably less than 1% of the total population, in 2011 more than 26% of the population were of south east Asian ethnicity which we know means they aren't interested. Of the other nearly 300,000 Bradfordians maybe 50,000 curse "Bradford" as a failed political construct, and as for "Bradford Bulls" I could probably find 5000 people who would be very happy if they had gone out of business years ago.

I see. Yet in other metropolises everything is milk and honey for RL.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.