McNamara blasts Huddersfield after IMG discussions

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

More or less profit - after initial costs - than a fan who buys a £150 season ticket but has all their drinks at the pub beforehand?

Sorry Ginger , you've lost me , are you agreeing ? , Or disagreeing ? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I asked the question because I think it was very relevant to your post Glossop, Fans (Fanatics) are just media followers of the club of their choice supporters put into their club's.

Yes I know it is only terminology, but I consider it a very misused one.

Fine. So to avoid confusion let me rephrase it.

Why do posters on here think you have to live a stones throw away from a ground to be able to follow the team? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

More or less profit - after initial costs - than a fan who buys a £150 season ticket but has all their drinks at the pub beforehand?

I very nearly resemble that remark Ginger one, not all drinks at the pub before hand, and I have the merchsndise. Plus also over the years I have been to more away games than I care to remember, people who do that are also supporting (monetary wise) the other teams, putting money into the sport.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

At the level *lower league RL is , it is ticket buying supporters we need IMO , once you've filled the stands everything else starts to fall into place , everything else grows from that 

That's more accurate. And it is fine, I agree.

• Like 1

I can't agree with the description of fans, followers and supporters.  The year is 2022 not 1902. Clubs benefit from income sources such as paying spectators, food and drinks sales, replica kit and souvenirs, pitchside advertising,. sponsorship, TV income, etc. Some of this income comes from fans who are never likely to go to a game. Yet they are still supporters and still contributors to club finances. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Why do posters on here think you have to live a stones throw away from a ground to be able to follow the team? 

Do they? 

But I would say that the vast majority who attend reside in close proximity and vicinity of their club, maybe you are trying to gain some Brownie Points because you are the 'Glossop' Saint and do travel, but I would wager there are not many more from that fair Derbyshire town who also go compared to the thousands of St Helens folk.

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Sorry Ginger , you've lost me , are you agreeing ? , Or disagreeing ? 

Asking a question. Genuinely so.

The profit on a shirt is pretty large.

What's the profit on a seat?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I very nearly resemble that remark Ginger one, not all drinks at the pub before hand, and I have the merchsndise. Plus also over the years I have been to more away games than I care to remember, people who do that are also supporting (monetary wise) the other teams, putting money into the sport.

It wasn't a challenge, it was a genuine question.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

That's more accurate. And it is fine, I agree.

Given that the stands at lower league clubs are hardly ever filled, maybe a certain  owner should stop bleating and complaining until they ARE filled.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Come on now Harry. There is a lot of moving of goalposts going on. We started off with Catalans don't contribute because there is no French TV deal. When it was pointed out that they were part of the Sky deal it changed to they don't draw in subscribers. Then the argument is that they have to have paying fans at home games (they have the SL record). Now what is required is to be paying money to other clubs as away fans. I'm pretty sure that there are some North Wales Crusaders fans who go to watch Catalan away fans. Or do they not count either? Are we going to reach the point that they have to spend at least 10 pound on half time food at every away game before they are seen to not be a drain on the game?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Could well be a loss, only made up by sponsorship, directors loans etc.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

We don't , again terminology , by ' follow ' , what do you mean ? 

Attend most or all home matches ? 

Just have a fondness for a particular club but don't attend , maybe buy a shirt every couple of years ?

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do they? 

But I would say that the vast majority who attend reside in close proximity and vicinity of their club, maybe you are trying to gain some Brownie Points because you are the 'Glossop' Saint and do travel, but I would wager there are not many more from that fair Derbyshire town who also go compared to the thousands of St Helens folk.

No brownie points trying to be gained here Harry. But it is a good example that somewhere less than 20 miles away from the heartlands can be seen as being a long way to travel. If it was another sport I don't think that that distance would be seen as an issue at all.

And yes, the point I was replying to was that Catalans didn't have any followers/fans/supporters in England. It was a point implied by someone else (I don't think you but not sure). And it is a point made fairly often 

27 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not really the point of the discussion 

What is the point then? You said it was about money, which I don't necessarily agree with but happy to go along with. Trying to work out what that money is has led us the TV contracts where Catalans have contributed at least as much as other clubs and now to ticket sales and they sell a lot of tickets. I really don't understand why the aggression from the owners/management and fans.

10 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I can't agree with the description of fans, followers and supporters.  The year is 2022 not 1902. Clubs benefit from income sources such as paying spectators, food and drinks sales, replica kit and souvenirs, pitchside advertising,. sponsorship, TV income, etc. Some of this income comes from fans who are never likely to go to a game. Yet they are still supporters and still contributors to club finances. 

The point being you get much more from an ' attending ' supporter than a shirt buying fan , not forgetting the actual improved atmosphere at stadiums that encourages more to then attend again 

If there's nobody to see the pitch side advertising , what's the point of having it ?

Much is made of how the sport looks on TV on these pages , poor crowds reflect a poor atmosphere and a poor sport , full stands reflect the opposite 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Does anybody buy 15 shirts a year ? 😉 , And the person sat in the stand is usually wearing a shirt as well 

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

We don't , again terminology , by ' follow ' , what do you mean ? 

Attend most or all home matches ? 

Just have a fondness for a particular club but don't attend , maybe buy a shirt every couple of years ?

Take 'follow' as however you like. Obviously with the distance then it is more likely to be less of a weekly contribution. It may be a sky subscription. It may be a season ticket, 4 pints, programmes, raffles, fan evenings whatever.

The point was, as was pretty obvious I thought initially before all the distraction of word definitions, that Catalans can have people who follow the team from outside of Perpignan and France. Those people may go to away games (more likely than home games) and have sky subscriptions which was the argument at the time before we moved onto how many pints they buy away grounds.

18 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Given that the stands at lower league clubs are hardly ever filled, maybe a certain  owner should stop bleating and complaining until they ARE filled.

Which stands in SL get filled ? 

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Aside from it being cringeworthy levels of embarrassing for Leigh, isn't this similar to why DB "left" twitter a few years back?

Surely the RFL must have a policy on this? Offering people out on social media really isn't a great look for anyone associated is it...

“But it’s for charity” the likely response, though I would see it as bringing the game into disrepute but if we never bothered cracking down on “#gamesgonesoft” from the players at the start of the year, I don’t see how you can crack down on someone offering a fight for charity. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Does anybody buy 15 shirts a year ? 😉 , And the person sat in the stand is usually wearing a shirt as well 

No, but you might pay, as an example, £150 for 13 games.

How much of that £10 or so per game is actual profit for the club once the costs of opening the stadium, switching on the power (etc) are included?

I'm genuinely interested in the economics of this.