McNamara blasts Huddersfield after IMG discussions

10 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Will someone answer and quantify the commercial value brought into SL by the £25m given to them please

I don’t think you are grasping that every season Catalans sell more games to sky than any other club. Nobody’s giving them anything. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Look. Rugby League is not going anywhere yet and I was just responding to a question which asked which clubs union would take if it did. 

The clubs aren't valuable enough and what value they did have would halve (at least) the second they crossed from league to union.

On top of which, and this is the key thing, Premier Rugby does not care about geographic footprints or anything like it. It cares about making money for its closed shop of members.

But, you're right. This is a digression and very far down the list of things to be discussed.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Will someone answer and quantify the commercial value brought into SL by the £25m given to them please

How many games are they on TV as a percentage of all games included in the deal, equated to that percentage of £25 million.

Actually some clubs like their Catalans games on TV. They see them as low crowds anyway so better to "sacrifice" crowds for TV on these games.

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I don’t think you are grasping that every season Catalans sell more games to sky than any other club. Nobody’s giving them anything. 

I also said the same thing to him. What is hard to understand?

1. Sky pay SL a lump sum for each year

2. SL puts games on for Sky to televise each year

3. Catalans are on TV more than any other club each year

Value = 0

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Value = 0

I think he doesn't like the answer. But keeps asking the question to make it seem like no one's is answering him. Burying his head in the sand.

I'm not sure if there is something in the water in Leigh but there does seem to be a strong Leigh contingent with an anti Catalan stance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Value = 0

The amount of games they are on probably means they are the most valuable club in the league. Leeds and Saints running them close. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

You could literally ask this of any SL club.

From the directions of the screaming, I get the impression IMG may have done exactly that.

• Like 6

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No they wouldn’t, for the same reason the premier league football teams won’t take Rangers and Celtic. 

What theyd lose the international sides and have to play as Great Britain therefore losing their 4 permanent seats on the fifa board. 

3 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

What theyd lose the international sides and have to play as Great Britain therefore losing their 4 permanent seats on the fifa board. 

No, they know that after 3 years of premier league money they’d be winning the thing.  If Celtic and rangers joined the premier league the four organisations wouldn’t have to merge, just like Switzerland and Litchensteins haven't, or Wales and England haven't, Spain and Andorras etc. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No, they know that after 3 years of premier league money they’d be winning the thing.  If Celtic and rangers joined the premier league the four organisations wouldn’t have to merge, just like Switzerland and Litchensteins haven't, or Wales and England haven't, Spain and Andorras etc. 

Spain and Andorra don't have membership of IFAB.

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

From the directions of the screaming, I get the impression IMG may have done exactly that.

And I suspect they will make their reccomendations accordingly.

IMG will have an initial thesis, they will see what works currently, they will see who can work with their future ideas for the sport. I suspect the days of International club teams in the lower leagues is gone, but likewise is the time of Super League clubs complaining about them, for example.

55 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No they wouldn’t, for the same reason the premier league football teams won’t take Rangers and Celtic. 

Not the same thing.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

You could literally ask this of any SL club.

But this discussion is about a statement asking what commercial value have they brought?

Widnes May have 5000 folk who have Sky primarily for RL, so our biggest income could say Widnes have brought in £4m pa for them

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

And I suspect they will make their reccomendations accordingly.

IMG will have an initial thesis, they will see what works currently, they will see who can work with their future ideas for the sport. I suspect the days of International club teams in the lower leagues is gone, but likewise is the time of Super League clubs complaining about them, for example.

The only French team capable of holding its own in league one and the Championship is Carcassonne and they have no interest in doing it. 

14 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

https://twitter.com/derek_beaumont/status/1551257495984799745?s=20&t=xiEK8iGQED6xODyZoJpy_Q

Real ale and pies. Someone please remind Derek that it is 2022 and young people don't give a toss about any of this.

England for the English.

I think he might get what he wants, but then he won't like it.

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I believe Toby is suggesting that the case needs to be evidenced for the long term benefits which is not going to be easy to fully do.

But I think he believes it will need to be done perhaps more persuasively by IMG to gain traction.

There is partly a leap of faith aspect to this, but I don’t think trying to create two factions is especially helpful.

Yes, although I can see the case in theory for ringfencing, I think we've come nowhere near showing that the long term gain is worth the short term pain. Again, not saying it isn't, just that we haven't shown it. And the RFL - being essentially a tool of the pro clubs, not an independent NGB - isnt capable of making that case. 

IMG could, and it's also in their interests to get the assessment right, as them getting any profits basically deoends on it. 

FWIW, I don't think any of the heartland clubs at the bottom of SL and the top of the championship would particularly benefit from a period of protection, i dont see any of them growing to the size of the big six. 

So for me ring fencing is only worth it if it's accompanied by major, long term, guaranteed investment in an expansion area that produces a seventh or eighth big team a decade down the line. That will take millions and i don't see people queueing up to do that, even with protection from relegation. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

But this discussion is about a statement asking what commercial value have they brought?

Widnes May have 5000 folk who have Sky primarily for RL, so our biggest income could say Widnes have brought in £4m pa for them

Do Widnes Vikings own these people or is it people in the Halton Council catchment area who have Sky Sports and enjoy, amongst others things, RL? Who gets these people when Widnes are in the Championship? Warrington?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

England for the English.

I think he might get what he wants, but then he won't like it.

Northern England for Northerners. London got the same treatment as well.

Sky have regularly said over the years that the majority of viewers of SL games live outside the heartlands. Are they willing to pay more if SL bins Catalans and Toulouse and bring in Leigh and Fev?

It's like the land that time forgot FFS.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The clubs aren't valuable enough and what value they did have would halve (at least) the second they crossed from league to union.

On top of which, and this is the key thing, Premier Rugby does not care about geographic footprints or anything like it. It cares about making money for its closed shop of members.

But, you're right. This is a digression and very far down the list of things to be discussed.

We agree that those clubs are too small and poor (in terms of their value) for RU to want in any conceivable scenario where they might try going back there. That being the case, isn't it a contradiction to think they're valuable enough to underpin any League structure capable of sustainably bringing in the extra money from TV and sponsorship rights which is needed to put pro RL in the northern hemisphere on a sound financial footing?  And if that's not a contradiction, why isn't it?