McNamara blasts Huddersfield after IMG discussions

29 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

But this discussion is about a statement asking what commercial value have they brought?

Widnes may have 5000 folk who have Sky primarily for RL, so our biggest income could say Widnes have brought in £4m pa for them

Fantasy figures.

If Widnes had 5,000 households with Sky for RL then their attendances should be far higher. Therefore either that figure is way off or people are happy to buy Sky for RL and their team being in SL is somewhat irrelevant. That is not to say some don't for that reason but I think it's negligible.

I personally think this whole line of argument is yet another myth. 

• Like 5

Just now, Damien said:

Fantasy figures.

If Widnes had 5,000 households with Sky for RL then their attendances should be far higher. Therefore either that figure is way off or people are happy to buy Sky for RL and their team being in SL is somewhat irrelevant. That is not to say some don't for that reason but I think it's negligible.

You put a figure on how many pay Sky to watch RL, and compare it with how many in Perpignan do the same

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Sky have regularly said over the years that the majority of viewers of SL games live outside the heartlands. Are they willing to pay more if SL bins Catalans and Toulouse and bring in Leigh and Fev?

It's like the land that time forgot FFS.

No they haven’t 

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Fantasy figures.

Exactly, this is like an argument from the BSkyB Squarial days. It was wrong then too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

You put a figure on how many pay Sky to watch RL, and compare it with how many in Perpignan do the same

Why do so many RL fans think that you have to be within a stones throw of a ground to follow a team? Catalans fans don't have to live in Perpignan or even France.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

Fantasy figures.

Indeed. I think we all know the reality of Sky's power is such that if they'd wanted an English-only Superleague due to "dish sales" then that's what they'd have got. 

But they don't care. 

9 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

I'm not playing a game of getting into fantasy figures and making things up that are completely devoid of fact.

I get Sky for RL because I'm a RL fan. Many others do too. Most RL Sky viewers are outside of the heartlands. There are countless places where RL is played and has viewers. Strip all this out and the subscriptions you allude to are negligible. Sky subscriptions simply aren't dependent on a person's team in anywhere near the numbers that people like to cite.

• Like 4

Why have Leigh fans turned this into an away fan/subscription counting competition? Is it because that's the only way that they can claim to be a more important and bigger club than Catalans?

Catalan offer so much more than the majority of other SL clubs, let alone semi pro clubs, to the sport. The players, the exposure, the exciting moments, the international potential. But they don't sell any satellite dishes or buy enough pies so chuck them out.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I'm not playing a game of getting into fantasy figures and making things up that are completely devoid of fact.

I get Sky for RL because I'm a RL fan. Many others do too. Most RL Sky viewers are outside of the heartlands. There are countless places where RL is played and has viewers. Strip all this out and the subscriptions you allude to are negligible. Sky subscriptions simply aren't dependent on a person's team in anywhere near the numbers that people like to cite.

A portion of Super League games on Sky are taken from French Broadcasters each year. How much does that content save Sky in production fees?

This corner shop economics argument is one of the reasons why RL is viewed as it is by many potential sponsors and event goers.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Sky have said it in the past.

Yes they have on many occasions and in this very publication too over the years. Neville Smith at Sky was often asked this.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

That’s not his original quote though, if you think he ain’t tekkin P then you have issues - Lobby😂

I've seen the original quote, and he is questioning the value to the English game, as he does regularly at the moment.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

https://twitter.com/derek_beaumont/status/1551257495984799745?s=20&t=xiEK8iGQED6xODyZoJpy_Q

Real ale and pies. Someone please remind Derek that it is 2022 and young people don't give a toss about any of this.

So in a few hours we have a club chairman spreading untruths about how much the two French clubs get and now trying to make out any club is worth 31555 subscriptions. I was there and have a Sky subscription so the very premise is incorrect. 

Surely spreading misinformation in this way and attacking another club in this way is bringing the game into disrepute? The game would be far better off if its owners concentrated on improving their own club rather than trying to destroy others.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

But this discussion is about a statement asking what commercial value have they brought?

Widnes May have 5000 folk who have Sky primarily for RL, so our biggest income could say Widnes have brought in £4m pa for them

You sound like an auditor. Please say that you aren't?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Leigh fans have more chips on their shoulders than my local chippie sells in a month, its pathetic.

Equally as pathetic is good old degsy, the RFL should be hammering him for his moronic nonsense.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Damien said:

Didn't premier sports (or was it ch4) say they found the same thing, the majority of people subscribing for RL were from outside traditional RL areas.

I think it was actually CH4 social media interactions, said they were surprised by geographical spread.

Edited by dkw
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

So in a few hours we have a club chairman spreading untruths about how much the two French clubs get and now trying to make out any club is worth 31555 subscriptions. I was there and have a Sky subscription so the very premise is incorrect. 

Surely spreading misinformation in this way and attacking another club in this way is bringing the game into disrepute? The game would be far better off if its owners concentrated on improving their own club rather than trying to destroy others.

Doesn't matter because the pressing issue of the day is that you can't get a pint of bitter in a French bar.

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Didn't premier sports (or was it ch4) say they found the same thing, the majority of people subscribing for RL were from outside traditional RL areas.

Where do the heartlands start and end exactly?

Asking for a friend