McNamara blasts Huddersfield after IMG discussions

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Whatever , but do they care who the teams are ? 

I think this is a good point. I think the answer is probably not? 

I have teams I prefer to watch but I watch all the matches as the game itself is so good.

Also watching them all gives a full picture of the whole league.

And I like to get my money's worth😊

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I've seen the original quote, and he is questioning the value to the English game, as he does regularly at the moment.

He questioned the monetary value, and much later took the P when using Lobby sales  etc It is extremely amusing how the usual crew keep referring to game value not financial/monetary.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

A Fan as in a fanatic, someone like all the guy's we will see in the pub watching football on telly sat there screaming for their favoured team, and most probably never ever been to watch them live.

A supporter, is one that actually does support the club in person gets along to games and puts money into their team through the turnstiles, i.e. supports them monetarily.

Those are my definitions Tommy.

FYI those guys in the pub who never go see their team play live are supporting them, because they're boosting the ratings which their league's broadcast partner gets for their matches and thereby they're underwriting the rights payments.

And in addition, nothing prevents them from buying their team's merchandise, that's another way they can be supporters even if they never go see them live.  Pro franchises in North America sell their merchandise far and wide to fans who've never been able to see them live but watch them often on TV.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

He is not looking for answers from opinionated fans with huge admiration of their own self righteousness and zero commercial knowledge who let emotions make the answer.

if SL is to continue in France during the coming difficult years ahead they must bring cash to the show 

Touchy tonight, lad. Dyspepsia again? 😀

If you dare tell us who you are trying to insult with your intemperate and ignorant comments, we can all join in the fun. 

As for commercial knowledge, cash? Really? Cash? How big a suitcase? 😀😀😀😀

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Right , let's get all this nonsense out of the way 

SKY sell subscriptions for football , many sports fans watch RL and other sports as well , probably not ' religiously ' but they'll watch it , given the millions who have subscription outside the ' heartlands ' it would not be surprising if actual ' watches ' outnumbered those in it 

If you were to look at the numbers that have SKY for RL , the heartlands would win 

If there were more watchers of RL on C4 ' outside ' , that's great and proves the FTA argument , but C4 isn't a subscription channel 

Hopefully the World Cup will boost all those figures 

Do any of these let's call then ' non Heartland neutrals ' care wether we have Cats or Toulouse in SL ? , Nobody knows , because they aren't the reason they've got SKY , that's for Arsenal,Chelsea,Spurs,City,Liverpool,United and probably pretty soon Newcastle 

The evidence for that assertion of why people subscribe to Sky is what, exactly? 

This thread was initially about the Dragons and the Giants. It has now descended into a series of t.it for tat posts about a lower league club. Despite the supportive input from several of its most loyal (and prickly) followers, its  owner still insists on confirming his credentials. Class.

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Childish post Ginger , you're better than that 

Fair. A badly expressed point.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, Copa said:

I wonder if IMG are now wondering how to deal with clubs run with highly provincial mindsets?

See, "highly provincial mindset" is what I should have said rather than making a comment about nosebleeds and postcodes.

But, they'll have picked things up from worse starting points than the state English rugby league is in. They may feel (note: may, I don't know) that a bit shouting and hurling teacups at the wall now is good if it gets it out of everyone's system.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

See, "highly provincial mindset" is what I should have said rather than making a comment about nosebleeds and postcodes.

But, they'll have picked things up from worse starting points than the state English rugby league is in. They may feel (note: may, I don't know) that a bit shouting and hurling teacups at the wall now is good if it gets it out of everyone's system.

Safe to say, IMG may recommend to those club chairmen so inclined something which is exactly what they are saying they want. They probably won't like it though.

6 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

spacer.png

Aside from it being cringeworthy levels of embarrassing for Leigh, isn't this similar to why DB "left" twitter a few years back?

Surely the RFL must have a policy on this? Offering people out on social media really isn't a great look for anyone associated is it...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

A Fan as in a fanatic, someone like all the guy's we will see in the pub watching football on telly sat there screaming for their favoured team, and most probably never ever been to watch them live.

A supporter, is one that actually does support the club in person gets along to games and puts money into their team through the turnstiles, i.e. supports them monetarily.

Those are my definitions Tommy.

Fair enough. I think you're arguing semantics tbh. If anything in the age of social media and global merchandising, your definitions are coming closer together.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Fair enough. I think you're arguing semantics tbh. If anything in the age of social media and global merchandising, your definitions are coming closer together.

At the level RL is , it is ticket buying supporters we need IMO , once you've filled the stands everything else starts to fall into place , everything else grows from that 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I'd guess he means IMG , but you don't need to be a Brian scientist to see the potential positives of doing something like that with the WC in France on the horizon 

I know you don’t, but brain scientists and super league administration don’t mix. 

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Define a fan please, is it the same as a supporter?

Honestly? So the point you have taken from that post is what I defined as a fan? I could very much have used the term poster on this forum instead. But unfortunately the same comments are also being made on social media.

If people are with that comment and yet then don't want clubs from outside the heartlands to exist then how do they expect the game to grow. Or perhaps that is the point.

12 hours ago, The Future is League said:

The only French team capable of holding its own in league one and the Championship is Carcassonne and they have no interest in doing it. 

Are you sure they have no interest in doing it? I’m fairly sure they recently said that that are interested. 

37 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

OK Tommy, but each individual 'Fan' buying a £40/50 shirt after the initial costs to the club isn't putting very much into the club of their passion are they?

Let me re-iterate, by my definitions 

A 'Fan' to the Owner, CEO, Board and Club Accountant is invisible and directly offers very little in respect of monetary value.

A 'Supporter' is accountable, they are a visible asset, they immediately add to the so very important cash flow especially in a cash strapped sport like RL.

So by my definition the equation is a very simple one, does a club desire fans or does it need supporters, and plenty of them?

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

OK Tommy, but each individual 'Fan' buying a £40/50 shirt after the initial costs to the club isn't putting very much into the club of their passion are they?

More or less profit - after initial costs - than a fan who buys a £150 season ticket but has all their drinks at the pub beforehand?

16 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Honestly? So the point you have taken from that post is what I defined as a fan? I could very much have used the term poster on this forum instead. But unfortunately the same comments are also being made on social media.

If people are with that comment and yet then don't want clubs from outside the heartlands to exist then how do they expect the game to grow. Or perhaps that is the point.

I asked the question because I think it was very relevant to your post Glossop, Fans (Fanatics) are just media followers of the club of their choice supporters put into their club's.

Yes I know it is only terminology, but I consider it a very misused one.