IMG - Thought's, suggestions and comments to move the game forward

1 hour ago, Phil W said:

One thing's for sure not everyone will be happy.

If theres one that thats a certainty in RL. its this.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I wouldn't put too much stock in it tbh.

Its just a fan version of the league meetings IMG had, and giving certain individuals the chance to rant and rave means they can say they have "consulted relevant parties" when they completely ignore them in their press release for their recommendations.

Understood but I think it's so genuinely poor that it's potentially dangerous if anyone uses the results for anything at all.

1 hour ago, Phil W said:

Done my survey and think we could initially see two 10s with promotion and relegation to soften the blow but after that a bigger competition NRL style with no promotion and relegation.

One thing's for sure not everyone will be happy.

This is Rugby League, I think you will find that nobody will be happy.

45 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I can only imagine what type of responses from some they'll get from that survey. 

I've filled it in three times now with different answers each times.

• Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Don't forget this feels very much like IMG are are dealing with the big boys and keeping everyone else informed on a NTK basis, H. 

For want of a better phrase, they're dealing with the professionals most closely, and those basically guaranteed to be involved at the top flight of their recommendations for RL. 

Those that have shouted the loudest appear to be those feeling least secure in their position, and unsurprisingly are those least involved at the actual high level decision making. Nothing makes people talk like silence.

And there is me thinking that the democratic procedure of SL in so much as one club one vote was sacrosanct, it has come as a complete shock that you imply Leneghan, McManus, Hetherington and co's influence and opinion is the way that IMG will sway in their deliberations and judgements😟

2 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Mwahahaha

If Rugby League introduced a 10+10 league structure, whereby the Super League and Championship will consist of 10 teams in each league, with promotion and relegation to each league at the end of season, how appealing would this be to you?
  • Very appealing

• Appealing

• Neither

• Unappealing

• Very unappealing

FFS, if this is what IMG can best come up with, tell them to F. Off now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Ah! You spotted one the survey's minor flaws!

Accidentally at first (opened on phone, didn’t finish; did on laptop without thinking; opened phone a moment later and went “Hang on”)

So, yes, the results are as meaningful as a Twitter poll.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

33 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I wouldn't put too much stock in it tbh.

Its just a fan version of the league meetings IMG had, and giving certain individuals the chance to rant and rave means they can say they have "consulted relevant parties" when they completely ignore them in their press release for their recommendations.

Are you telling fibs when asked have you got some inside information? I think you should say 6 Our Fathers and 6 Hail Mary's, Thomas.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And there is me thinking that the democratic procedure of SL in so much as one club one vote was sacrosanct, it has come as a complete shock that you imply Leneghan, McManus, Hetherington and co's influence and opinion is the way that IMG will sway in their deliberations and judgements😟

Democratic process has gotten us here Harry. We've said it is recommendations we are wanting from IMG, in reality we are wanting a dictator of sorts.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Are you telling fibs when asked have you got some inside information? I think you should say 6 Our Fathers and 6 Hail Mary's, Thomas.

I'm actually not Thomas, H. Just Tom (though I appreciate my username doesn't help with that!).

Honestly it is not something I have garnered from any particular source, just a general feeling I have got for IMG through their various outputs across the media and in their meetings.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Another interesting point I've not seen anyone raise yet was the question in relation to The Hundred, and a broader point about the impact of that on the Men's and Women's games.

I thought that was both interesting and something else that has been discussed on here.

And they really should be ignoring us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Another interesting point I've not seen anyone raise yet was the question in relation to The Hundred, and a broader point about the impact of that on the Men's and Women's games.

It did feel like they were angling towards some sort of regional 9s tournament. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 minute ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Or 7s.

Just now, gingerjon said:

I thought that was both interesting and something else that has been discussed on here.

And they really should be ignoring us.

I don't think its unreasonable that the single biggest marketing/image changing/structure revision exercise in UK sport (incidentally a sport with many similar problems and discussions as RL) would be something that IMG are at least reviewing and keeping tabs on.

3 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

A 9s Summer Series, Leeds, Hull, Newcastle, Manchester, London, even Sheffield, Coventry/Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff and of course somewhere in the south of France.

If anything the Hundred has shown that younger audiences are willing to swap your traditional Yorkshire or Lancashire for a franchise team for a brief stint at least. 

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't think its unreasonable that the single biggest marketing/image changing/structure revision exercise in UK sport (incidentally a sport with many similar problems and discussions as RL) would be something that IMG are at least reviewing and keeping tabs on.

No, I think, as a concept to be considered, it's one worth exploring.

A single question on a form that anyone can fill in any number of times though?

Nah. That's a complete nonsense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

No, I think, as a concept to be considered, it's one worth exploring.

A single question on a form that anyone can fill in any number of times though?

Nah. That's a complete nonsense.

I think you are taking the form a tad too seriously tbh. As I put previously, to some extent this is just the fan equivalent of letting some chairmen and directors have their day of venting.

However, if it wasn't in the ether, it wouldn't be in the form imo.

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

A 9s Summer Series, Leeds, Hull, Newcastle, Manchester, London, even Sheffield, Coventry/Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff and of course somewhere in the south of France.

If anything the Hundred has shown that younger audiences are willing to swap your traditional Yorkshire or Lancashire for a franchise team for a brief stint at least. 

As long as it doesn't have graphics crafted on a BBC B in 1986, it should be OK.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think you are taking the form a tad too seriously tbh. As I put previously, to some extent this is just the fan equivalent of letting some chairmen and directors have their day of venting.

However, if it wasn't in the ether, it wouldn't be in the form imo.

My concern - not one I had before - is that there really better be properly structured and coordinated focus groups going on or else it really is just something the RFL could have done themselves as it's all guesswork and doing what they want to do anyway.

The thing I mind most about this is the sloppiness. It smacks of a 'will this do' level approach that has dragged the game down for a long time and is getting worse.

27 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I thought your second paragraph really interesting Tommy.

I saw the Northern Team play Manchester at the weekend. I was not sure if it was still supposed to be Yorkshire v Lancashire. I usually like Lancashire in the Roses games so I thought I'd better support Manchester just in case🙂