IMG - Thought's, suggestions and comments to move the game forward

8 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Really interested in what IMG recommend right now. If they think there's commercial viability of SL in France there's no way they'll let Toulouse burn money in the Championship for a year when they don't have to. 

Ultimately IMG are only making recommendations, but I agree that if France is part of their bigger picture, they'll know that now and begin that process earlier.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2022 at 15:40, NW10LDN said:

It was never based on them developing North American players

Go and give your head a wobble, these pages were awash with all those who were took in and acting like self proclaimed Toronto cheerleaders when Perez was spouting about the thousands of ready made for RL athletes just waiting for the opportunity to try our game, and would be superstars in no time populating the Toronto team and making young kids want to take up the game.

Then there were all the 'Auditions' and camps in various locations to trial these hopefuls and Nobby Noble was fueling the anticipation of those on these pages who were getting giddy at every word, posting videos of the proceedings whilst reaching for the Kleenex.

Perez's vision was to have Toronto as the catalyst to fast track RL into Canada and it would boom immediately with homegrown participants becoming cult hero's which in turn would have multiple sponsors clamouring to start teams in a very short space of time. It all fell flat very quickly when it was realised the natives would not make any transition to the game, and Toronto had to have a team based in the North of England who "had to travel away to play their home games"

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Ultimately IMG are only making recommendations, but I agree that if France is part of their bigger picture, they'll know that now and begin that process earlier.

Bold statement Tommy, is that borne out of insider knowledge, speculation or just plain hopefulness? 

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Go and give your head a wobble, these pages were awash with all those who were took in and acting like self proclaimed Toronto cheerleaders when Perez was spouting about the thousands of ready made for RL athletes just waiting for the opportunity to try our game, and would be superstars in no time populating the Toronto team and making young kids want to take up the game.

Then there were all the 'Auditions' and camps in various locations to trial these hopefuls and Nobby Noble was fueling the anticipation of those on these pages who were getting giddy at every word, posting videos of the proceedings whilst reaching for the Kleenex.

Perez's vision was to have Toronto as the catalyst to fast track RL into Canada and it would boom immediately with homegrown participants becoming cult hero's which in turn would have multiple sponsors clamouring to start teams in a very short space of time. It all fell flat very quickly when it was realised the natives would not make any transition to the game, and Toronto had to have a team based in the North of England who "had to travel away to play their home games"

It always amazes me how some people, and often from the heartlands who know the game better than most, think it is so easy to get professional level, let alone super league level, players in such a short space of time. I wonder if they really value what the players can and are doing. Honestly I think that this takes generations. You need to have the strong junior game being coached by coaches with a proper understanding of the game. And I mean strong. It has to have the pick of the juniors, those with good physique, dexterity, a head for the game. And enough to have multiple teams to play against. Especially if you are talking about the more creative and technical positions.

London produces some players and I think that is great but it has had plenty of effort going into that for decades. To expect a completely virgin territory to produce players in a couple of years bar the occasional prop or winger is bizarre. Any new club is not being brought in to supply players and shouldn't be expected to for at least 10 years. Unfortunately this is too long term for too many people, the RFL included.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You really area a piece of work arent you, I remember why I had you on ignore now you ignorant fool.

The vast majority on here were saying they hope it goes well and we can see a new area for expansion of the game, while also acknowledging it would take a hell of an effort to get a influx of players. We werent "self proclaimed Toronto Cheerleaders" at all, we were RL fans looking at a new horizon and hoping it went well, on the other side were several tedious luddite Leigh fans scared of a club usurping their "self proclaimed" position in the sport on the back of a gobby owner throwing money at it with no actual plan.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dkw said:

You really area a piece of work arent you, I remember why I had you on ignore now you ignorant fool.

The vast majority on here were saying they hope it goes well and we can see a new area for expansion of the game, while also acknowledging it would take a hell of an effort to get a influx of players. We werent "self proclaimed Toronto Cheerleaders" at all, we were RL fans looking at a new horizon and hoping it went well, on the other side were several tedious luddite Leigh fans scared of a club usurping their "self proclaimed" position in the sport on the back of a gobby owner throwing money at it with no actual plan.

Less of the insults Marra.

You forget in that period there were a number of Leigh lads in the Toronto team I knew personally and they told me what was coming out of the club by people like Perez and Noble was up in the clouds, but yes there is no bad publicity if people are willing to believe it.

30 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

It always amazes me how some people, and often from the heartlands who know the game better than most, think it is so easy to get professional level, let alone super league level, players in such a short space of time. I wonder if they really value what the players can and are doing. Honestly I think that this takes generations. You need to have the strong junior game being coached by coaches with a proper understanding of the game. And I mean strong. It has to have the pick of the juniors, those with good physique, dexterity, a head for the game. And enough to have multiple teams to play against. Especially if you are talking about the more creative and technical positions.

London produces some players and I think that is great but it has had plenty of effort going into that for decades. To expect a completely virgin territory to produce players in a couple of years bar the occasional prop or winger is bizarre. Any new club is not being brought in to supply players and shouldn't be expected to for at least 10 years. Unfortunately this is too long term for too many people, the RFL included.

You are preaching to the converted Glossop, I was the first on these pages to suggest that RL is an organic product and it would take 3 or 4 generations to blossom in Canada, I got shot down for that.

What I was saying in my previous post was all the tripe that was being spouted by the TO officials and people on here wishing to believe it.

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Toronto simply ran out of money. Should the RFL/Super League have bailed them out? Not in my view.

Getting it back on thread, should the IMG-backed plan subsidise or give preferential treatment to more sustainable expansion/non-heartland clubs? Possibly.  

The key word is sustainable. If IMG propose licensing, and an expansion club passes an independently-administered, commercially realistic test for licensing, then they won't need to give preferential treatment. They'll be in on their own merits. 

That licensing assessment may include extra points for being in new areas, as part of a overall judgement. But I'm sure IMG are commercially savvy enough to understand that just sticking 'pins in map' isn't enough to guarantee success. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Bold statement Tommy, is that borne out of insider knowledge, speculation or just plain hopefulness? 

Just logic really Harry.

They are due to publicly circulate their recommendations by January 23. They will be circulating with the RFL and then the clubs well before then.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

OK I can live with that answer Tommy, 

Jan 23rd, so no change next season then.

It's already been confirmed there will be no changes next season.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's already been confirmed there will be no changes next season.

I really don't believe that's a certainty. We won't move to the new structure next season but there might be some transitional changes if required (i.e. no relegation, 13 or 14 team SL) to get to the final arrangement. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

3 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I really don't believe that's a certainty. We won't move to the new structure next season but there might be some transitional changes if required (i.e. no relegation, 13 or 14 team SL) to get to the final arrangement. 

Aye, but the actual set-up of the leagues next year in terms of numbers and teams going up and down this year for next year will be unaffected.

I think that's about as fair as it can be.

I'd hope any changes for 2024 are clearly stated before season 2023 begins.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Re: Whether the French are likely to be a part of IMGs plans - https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/french-tv-deal-toulouse-positive-talks/

Apologise for the source but it just quotes Toulouse Chief Executive Cedric Garcia - stuff about the WC and potential TV deals but importantly he confirms that IMG have been in regular talks with FFRXII president Luc Lacoste over the future strategy of the game. To me a fairly good indicator that France is well within the sights of IMG moving forward.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Totally agree, it should not be any other way.

As sport, we've plenty of form for announcing changes at a moment's notice.  I've said before that I'm suspicious that something is a afoot. Wouldn't be at all shocked if the clubs already know what's in store and we'll get to find out right before the start of the season.