IMG - Thought's, suggestions and comments to move the game forward

58 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

OK I can live with that answer Tommy, 

Jan 23rd, so no change next season then.

January 2023 that is H. Though that may turn out to be confirmation of the plans already agreed internally from October onwards.

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

You are preaching to the converted Glossop, I was the first on these pages to suggest that RL is an organic product and it would take 3 or 4 generations to blossom in Canada, I got shot down for that.

What I was saying in my previous post was all the tripe that was being spouted by the TO officials and people on here wishing to believe it.

Sorry Harry, I wasn't meaning you necessarily. If anything I was agreeing. 

I assume by TO you mean Toronto as opposed to Toulouse Olympique? I think that they probably felt pressurised to make those claims to validate their place in a rush to be seen to be contributing to the player pool. I wish they had more confidence and were honest in saying it would be a long term project. Unfortunately long term isn't something recognised in RL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Well if we do hear their suggestions in September as some are speculating , I cant really think pf anything they can come up with that isnt or closely resembles something that has not been done before. 

However long the time frame, what else would you seriously expect them to come up with anyway?

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

As sport, we've plenty of form for announcing changes at a moment's notice.  I've said before that I'm suspicious that something is a afoot. Wouldn't be at all shocked if the clubs already know what's in store and we'll get to find out right before the start of the season.

I am not going to say that is not a possibility David, but in this little cocoon of a sport we have were the man in the street knows the sponsers, officials, players, coaches etc I should imagine if it was already a 'done deal' I should imagine that it would have leaked out by some means or other.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

However long the time frame, what else would you seriously expect them to come up with anyway?

Not a lot,

In my experience of these experts that come into your buisness knowing not a lot about it and come up with a solution to take it forward was somewhat dissapointing, maybe it was the company or the representative not being very good, it seemed that they had a template that would be tweaked for different buisness models, or they just wanted to get along to the next client I don't know, but the time frame really is an important factor in my opinion the longer they spend becoming au fait with the idiosyncrasies and perculiarties of the buisness - and in RL I am sure there are enough of them - it is as recent as the 10th of May that the RFL announced the tie up with IMG, is 6 months or so enough time to give the game a new stratergy to take the game forward?

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not a lot,

In my experience of these experts that come into your buisness knowing not a lot about it and come up with a solution to take it forward was somewhat dissapointing, maybe it was the company or the representative not being very good, it seemed that they had a template that would be tweaked for different buisness models, or they just wanted to get along to the next client I don't know, but the time frame really is an important factor in my opinion the longer they spend becoming au fait with the idiosyncrasies and perculiarties of the buisness - and in RL I am sure there are enough of them - it is as recent as the 10th of May that the RFL announced the tie up with IMG, is 6 months or so enough time to give the game a new stratergy to take the game forward?

In this case the guy heading it up seems to think that he understands those idiosyncrasies and peculiarities, he's an Aussie from Sydney who if I recall correctly has a background in the sport.  That doesn't mean that he's more likely to find solutions than the RFL is though, and we saw when Brisbane owned London that applying the Aussie model to a club (or clubs if that's what IMG proposes) within the existing setup in Britain doesn't really work.

So I agree with you that he's not likely to come up with any big solutions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Maybe we're barking up the wrong tree by focusing solely on the men's game?

Maybe IMG has ideas about the women's & wheelchair game and the recent double-headers on Sky are a clue?

As long as there's commercial value in it.

That's their remit after all.

Anything that's just nice-to-do is what we're meant to be doing with the mahoosive profits.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, UTK said:

Re: Whether the French are likely to be a part of IMGs plans - https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/french-tv-deal-toulouse-positive-talks/

Apologise for the source but it just quotes Toulouse Chief Executive Cedric Garcia - stuff about the WC and potential TV deals but importantly he confirms that IMG have been in regular talks with FFRXII president Luc Lacoste over the future strategy of the game. To me a fairly good indicator that France is well within the sights of IMG moving forward.

I sincerely hope so 

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I am not going to say that is not a possibility David, but in this little cocoon of a sport we have were the man in the street knows the sponsers, officials, players, coaches etc I should imagine if it was already a 'done deal' I should imagine that it would have leaked out by some means or other.

Don't forget this feels very much like IMG are are dealing with the big boys and keeping everyone else informed on a NTK basis, H. 

For want of a better phrase, they're dealing with the professionals most closely, and those basically guaranteed to be involved at the top flight of their recommendations for RL. 

Those that have shouted the loudest appear to be those feeling least secure in their position, and unsurprisingly are those least involved at the actual high level decision making. Nothing makes people talk like silence.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

As long as there's commercial value in it.

That's their remit after all.

Anything that's just nice-to-do is what we're meant to be doing with the mahoosive profits.

True, to an extent. 

They of course are interested in the commercial growth, the vast majority (in terms of raw numbers if not percercentages) of which is going to be centred around the mens game. 

But if the Women's game can help grow audiences and revenues for the sport as a whole, it will be in IMGs interest to guide its growth as much as the quicker commercial returns from the mens game.

7 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Mwahahaha

If Rugby League introduced a 10+10 league structure, whereby the Super League and Championship will consist of 10 teams in each league, with promotion and relegation to each league at the end of season, how appealing would this be to you?
  • Very appealing

• Appealing

• Neither

• Unappealing

• Very unappealing

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

24 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I got an email about half an hour ago from the RFL with this same content.  Having been asked, I will certainly take up the invitation to offer my sixpenn'orth!

I've added my thoughts. 

They seem keenly interested in the possibility of a division of two tens and the role of French clubs in Super League. I think they've been spending too much time on here. 

• Like 3

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Done my survey and think we could initially see two 10s with promotion and relegation to soften the blow but after that a bigger competition NRL style with no promotion and relegation.

One thing's for sure not everyone will be happy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Phil W said:

Done my survey and think we could initially see two 10s with promotion and relegation to soften the blow but after that a bigger competition NRL style with no promotion and relegation.

One thing's for sure not everyone will be happy.

Yeah done mine earlier, definitely do not agree with 2 x 10.

• Like 4

I wonder if they will take any notice... 

The survey was all over the place, and I could have done one better in SurveyMonkey and 10 minutes.... 

Promotion / Relegation needs to stay in my opinion, otherwise what do teams have to play for.... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

According to The Game Caller - no-one else - so that must be accurate. I'm sure that I read that the full proposals would be put forward in early 2023.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

57 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

That survey is absolutely shambolic. If that's an indication of IMG's professional input, we're in trouble.

I wouldn't put too much stock in it tbh.

Its just a fan version of the league meetings IMG had, and giving certain individuals the chance to rant and rave means they can say they have "consulted relevant parties" when they completely ignore them in their press release for their recommendations.

Edited by Tommygilf

A few things.

Whenever things like revised structures are discussed with Clubs those will be leaked. That’s how RL runs in this country.

Irrespective of the above Gledhill will make stuff up even to the extent of contradicting someone who was actually at the meeting he claimed to know about - the claim clubs over spending this season ahead of a restructure before next season

Nothing that hasn’t been discussed on this forum will come out of the IMG review. Hopefully any revised structure will be kept in place for more than 5 minutes so that the benefits can be seen. This could be the real biggest win.

At least they have consulted with the fans of the game. Everyone should look to complete the survey. It only takes 10 minutes. 

• Like 1