D-Day England release new kit! (Needs it's very own thread)

Do all England football fans worry about Tottenham or Leeds for the home shirt? Or Man U or Liverpool for Red away kits?

A red and white hooped design would have "dared to be different" whilst also showing massive appreciation to heritage, both in just Rugby League and pre-1895 (something we do precious little of). Who cares if it looks like a Wigan shirt? Its England!

The justification is abysmal and is indicative of the leadership over the past decade that sees the game where it is now.

• Like 3

A red V with a blue trim would, for me at least, provide the right balance between not being a Saints top*, would offer the red and white branding that we've spent years trying to build around the England side (something I've quite liked compared to football and cricket) and would be a subtle nod to GB without necessarily going all out on a full red & blue chevron.

*Regardless of how petty and parochial it sounds, I do think it is a genuine concern that folk wouldn't buy a top based on that front, and if nothing else is quite indicative of any number of areas of RL, but in particular that our club branding is so much stronger than internationally

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

A red V with a blue trim would, for me at least, provide the right balance between not being a Saints top*, would offer the red and white branding that we've spent years trying to build around the England side (something I've quite liked compared to football and cricket) and would be a subtle nod to GB without necessarily going all out on a full red & blue chevron.

*Regardless of how petty and parochial it sounds, I do think it is a genuine concern that folk wouldn't buy a top based on that front, and if nothing else is quite indicative of any number of areas of RL, but in particular that our club branding is so much stronger than internationally

I posted this yesterday, I still don't overly like the design but at least it has red in it and it represents the GB element they have given as an excuse betterspacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Do all England football fans worry about Tottenham or Leeds for the home shirt? Or Man U or Liverpool for Red away kits?

A red and white hooped design would have "dared to be different" whilst also showing massive appreciation to heritage, both in just Rugby League and pre-1895 (something we do precious little of). Who cares if it looks like a Wigan shirt? Its England!

The justification is abysmal and is indicative of the leadership over the past decade that sees the game where it is now.

Didn’t we have a 9s shirt with thin red hoops on white that looked nothing like a Wigan/Leigh shirt ?

Red chevron or hoop surely we can come up with something that doesn’t necessarily look like a club side.

Edited by Davo5
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I posted this yesterday, I still don't overly like the design but at least it has red in it and it represents the GB element they have given as an excuse betterspacer.png

USA USA USA 😉

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Somebody posted this on twitter

I know the red is not the right shade, but it doesn't look like a Saints shirt to me. 

Get rid of one of the chevrons either the solid one or the other & it would be pretty good

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Didn’t we have a 9s shirt with thin red hoops on white that looked nothing like a Wigan/Leigh shirt ?

Red chevron or hoop surely we can come up with something that doesn’t necessarily look like a club side.

To me its no issue if England play in White with Red V or Red Hoops. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

We had this, thin stripes of red and blue. As I said in a post yesterday you can do a direct link back to the original Northern Union jersey with this whilst also matching contemporary English sporting teams colours. It doesn't look like any clubs shirts and you can do a myriad of variations on it (the below would be the "modern" one in the cycle, the next year do unbroken solid lines and an older style collar and you've got the "traditional" option). 

2019englandNinesMens-front.webp

• Like 6

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

On 27/07/2022 at 10:21, DI Keith Fowler said:

Argh knew it was going to go this way. It's just another kneejerk movement into a another direction that will be quietly dropped in a years time. It's not even an objectively bad shirt, it's fine, it's just so inconsistent with what's come before. 

Just decide what an England shirt looks like, decide on a fairly classic design and combination of colours and then don't change it... ever. You can do variations on it, modern, traditional etc. by all means but keep the outline design the same. 

The England shirt is always something defined by what it isn't rather than what it is. It can't be red and white hoops because Wigan, it can't be a rev vee because Saints, it can't be a blue and red vee because GB.

I've said on here previously the most logical thing to do would be to return to the thin hoops of the original Northern Union shirt, probably swapping the yellow out for blue (to more match a typical England sporting team colour scheme and also a nod to the Lancashire and Yorkshire origins of the game). Then you've got something with a historical link back, that you can do lots of variations of, that other RL teams haven't made untouchable. 

Rugby-League-Northern-Union-Shirt-Xl-Limited-Edition.jpg

Where did you get that shirt from? I always thought the original NU shirt was red and white hoops (as worn in the replica used for the 2010 centenary test v New Zealand).

You could probably do something with that colour combination - eg white shirt with a thick red and thin yellow chevrons - that would be distinctively ours and at the same time remove the "it looks like X club shirt" complaint.

• Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

9 minutes ago, The One said:

I still don’t mind it as much as others here. I won’t be buying it though. Red between the little v’s looks better like this.

F47E4C4F-E9FF-45F8-B1AD-6FA032201A49.jpeg

Yeah even that's better I think part of the issue is there's just too much blue... anyway I've spent far too much time talking about a shirt Im not going to buy.spacer.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Yeah even that's better I think part of the issue is there's just too much blue... anyway I've spent far too much time talking about a shirt Im not going to buy.spacer.png

That with a white collar would be good.

This thread reminds me of my 8 year old daughter arguing with her friends about their favourite colours.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dave T said:

Well? 

Team Red, or blue? 

She loves blue.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

What would it look like if you swapped the red and blue? Now that someone has mentioned USA, I can't un-see it and think thinner blue would stop that!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg