Jump to content

Transfer Rumour Mill 22/23


Recommended Posts


On 10/10/2022 at 11:35, WN83 said:

you also hear that King and Powell just can't work together

Not necessarily true. The rumour was that King didn’t react well to criticism from Powell after a defeat, and got off the team coach at Hartshead Moor services. What we do know is true, is that Powell has said some players have disagreed they have areas of their game to work on, and that King has said Powell decided to send him out on loan ‘to get a refresh’ away from the club.

I imagine a place like Wigan is a good place to get disciplined and fall into line, should he eventually return for 2024/5. To be honest I can’t see any club agreeing to pay the best part of his rather large salary beyond 2023 unless he turns out to be a star, in which case Warrington may well take him back. Powell was tasked with overhauling the squad and changing the playing style. If certain players pushed back against that (which we now know they did after the Carney interview) then the coach has to do something. I guess we’ll know by next season whether Powell can now turn things around.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Matty Dawson Jones to Sheffield. Pity, I like him.

Apart from losing Holmes to your club, Sheffield have retained the core from this year and added a bit of strength. They're not really title contenders but the recruitment should put them in the chasing pack in 2023.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Livett confirmed to Huddersfield, has anyone departed Huddersfield yet other than Jake Wardle? Hudds must have the deepest squad in SL for next year as it stands.

Always thought Livett had all the makings to be a cracking centre but for some reason he was shunted into the pack where he hasn’t lived up to his early promise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Livett confirmed to Huddersfield, has anyone departed Huddersfield yet other than Jake Wardle? Hudds must have the deepest squad in SL for next year as it stands.

Levi, Leutele and one of the Senior twins have also gone. Think Ashworth as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.leighjournal.co.uk/news/23040971.leigh-centurions-boast-strongest-ever-squad-2023/

LEIGH will enter Super League as a club in a stronger position as than they have been before says Director of Rugby, Chris Chester.

The fixtures for next season’s competition are released on November 3 with the former Wakefield Trinity head coach already relishing the 2023 campaign.

“We are not here to compete, we are here to challenge,” said Chester. “It is so difficult for the sides coming up.

“Fortunately, we have an owner in Derek Beaumont willing to invest. I remember him saying he wanted to get to a point half way through last season where he was confident enough to go and out and recruit.

 

“He gave the green light for us to recruit pretty aggressively and that’s what we have done.

“We have got some exceptional Australian talent and alongside that in the coming weeks, maybe next week, we will be announcing some exceptional English talent as well.

“In terms of recruitment though I have got 25/26 players all ready to go. So, there are lots of things to be positive about and we are in a stronger position than we have ever been as a club.”

 

Looks like we may start getting some signing announcements next week at Leigh, good to see that we already have 25/26 signed up. 

In other news, Mark Ioane has been confirmed by Keighley, who are looking closer to a top 6 Championship side with each signing announcement. Really looking forward to seeing them on premier sports next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2022 at 21:45, Jughead said:

An odd rumour going around that Saints will sign Fusitua so that Leeds can keep Hardaker. 

Yeah heard that, no idea where it came from other than someone putting 2 & 2 together with Leeds wanting to offload a winger and Saints looking to sign a winger. Can't see there being anything in it given Saints have no quota spots available, and beside which they've already got their own injury prone, overpaid quota player in Hopoate 😁

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Yeah heard that, no idea where it came from other than someone putting 2 & 2 together with Leeds wanting to offload a winger and Saints looking to sign a winger. Can't see there being anything in it given Saints have no quota spots available, and beside which they've already got their own injury prone, overpaid quota player in Hopoate 😁

There’s an added rumour of Bell to Featherstone or Toulouse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

There’s an added rumour of Bell to Featherstone or Toulouse. 

Given Saints posted their goodbyes to the everyone leaving yesterday, (Nisbet, Corkill, Smith, Simm, Amor, Grace and Woolf) I doubt the Bell is leaving. Always felt very much like fans just trying to free up a spot so they can subsequently speculate on signing another winger. I think if the club thought it were an imminent possibility, they would have held off saying the goodbyes until they could include Bell. But as Saints fans that leaves us speculating about Matty Russell and whether thats a better option than Bennison...

Some good pick ups in the Saints leavers though. Only Corkill is a surprise but thought he was worth keeping in the reserves as he impressed vs Wakefield. Would be a solid pick up for Championship clubs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

Given Saints posted their goodbyes to the everyone leaving yesterday, (Nisbet, Corkill, Smith, Simm, Amor, Grace and Woolf) I doubt the Bell is leaving. Always felt very much like fans just trying to free up a spot so they can subsequently speculate on signing another winger. I think if the club thought it were an imminent possibility, they would have held off saying the goodbyes until they could include Bell. But as Saints fans that leaves us speculating about Matty Russell and whether thats a better option than Bennison...

Some good pick ups in the Saints leavers though. Only Corkill is a surprise but thought he was worth keeping in the reserves as he impressed vs Wakefield. Would be a solid pick up for Championship clubs.

Corkill to Leigh, apparently. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Corkill to Leigh, apparently. 

What position does he play? I would think Smith will also join on a permanent deal, it was rumoured pretty early in the season that he would join full time if we got promoted. Wouldn't mind Josh Simm either as a squad player.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

Given Saints posted their goodbyes to the everyone leaving yesterday, (Nisbet, Corkill, Smith, Simm, Amor, Grace and Woolf) I doubt the Bell is leaving. Always felt very much like fans just trying to free up a spot so they can subsequently speculate on signing another winger. I think if the club thought it were an imminent possibility, they would have held off saying the goodbyes until they could include Bell. But as Saints fans that leaves us speculating about Matty Russell and whether thats a better option than Bennison...

Some good pick ups in the Saints leavers though. Only Corkill is a surprise but thought he was worth keeping in the reserves as he impressed vs Wakefield. Would be a solid pick up for Championship clubs.

Someone posted on the Barrow forum RC to Barrow a couple of days ago. He hails from Barrow  apparently .

Edited by Anonymouse
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Anonymouse said:

Someone posted on the Barrow forum RC to Barrow a couple of days ago. He hails from Barrow  apparently .

Yep Rio is a Walney Central lad though signed for Saints in his early teens and came through their academy system. Always thought he showed promise but his career to date has been blighted by injury (don't think he's ever managed a full season at any level) so could well have been a reason Saints haven't retained him.

He's a big strong lad but never seemed quite to have the pace needed to develop into a top-class centre, but good luck to him wherever he ends up either in SL or the Championship. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Yeah heard that, no idea where it came from other than someone putting 2 & 2 together with Leeds wanting to offload a winger and Saints looking to sign a winger. Can't see there being anything in it given Saints have no quota spots available, and beside which they've already got their own injury prone, overpaid quota player in Hopoate 😁

Is Hopoate staying? I’d be looking to offload…

… are we in the market for a winger?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Is Hopoate staying? I’d be looking to offload…

… are we in the market for a winger?

Sadly it looks like were stuck with Hopoate for another year until his contract runs out ☹️

Both Woolf & subsequently Wellens have said openly in interviews that the club are looking at external options for a winger, but they'd only bring in someone who is as good or better than Grace was for the team, they wont sign someone just for the sake of it. They'll run with what they have (presumably Bennison or Sambou) until someone good enough becomes available. 

  • Thanks 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Saint Toppy said:

Sadly it looks like were stuck with Hopoate for another year until his contract runs out ☹️

Both Woolf & subsequently Wellens have said openly in interviews that the club are looking at external options for a winger, but they'd only bring in someone who is as good or better than Grace was for the team, they wont sign someone just for the sake of it. They'll run with what they have (presumably Bennison or Sambou) until someone good enough becomes available. 

Frustrating about Hopoate. Think we’ve really missed a trick with someone like Jake Wardle who I think is going to be a fantastic player. 

Our squad is too old. In needs an inject of youthfulness in the backs, especially since half of them are always injured. Wellens has a big rebuild job on his hands.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Keighley making some good signings. Pretty much a shoe in for top team with a BD postcode next season. Hopefully they can pick up some of the Bradford floating fans who have been leaving as well.

Haha, they wish

It's been a long time since the Bulls had any floating fans. 20 years ago, yes - but it's down to the hard core now. The 2000 still left will either stick it out to the bitter end or be lost to the game entirely.

As for the postcode thing, if Keighley do NOT finish above the Bulls next season, it would be a major embarrassment, given their squad investment.

Edited by paulwalker71
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Frustrating about Hopoate. Think we’ve really missed a trick with someone like Jake Wardle who I think is going to be a fantastic player. 

Our squad is too old. In needs an inject of youthfulness in the backs, especially since half of them are always injured. Wellens has a big rebuild job on his hands.

Not sure why you think there's a big rebuild job. Theres only Roby and LMS imminently likely to retire, and they could be replaced by Pemberton and Delaney. I assume Hurrell and Hopoate will be off next year as well, but signing a centre with multiple non-fed spots available shouldn't be too hard - if Bennison isn't the answer to the Grace replacement, he would definitely replace Hopoate as the utility back.

The next group after that will likely be Makinson, Lomax and Walmsley, but could easily see each doing another 3-4 years before they're retiring. Obviously its hard to predict when a player has gone a year too far, but from all accounts all three are look after themselves religiously. 

We have a lot of players out of contract next year, and some big question marks mainly over our non-fed players. Paasi, Batchelor and Mata'utia are off contract (we have an option on Sironen) and would want to keep all of them. If we can't, then recruitment next year looks challenging, but if we can, I think were in a good position to have a couple of changes to keep things fresh but just rolling the team as we have done for the last few years.

We have a really strong core of Welsby, Dodd, Lees and Knowles which the team will continue to be built around in the coming years, which was the clubs focus this year (As all have signed long term contracts this year).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...