Would leigh really be in the top 6 in super league

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

No it wasn't those results were quite telling.

It is. Leigh were relegated under the rules in play during 2017. Fairly, too. How they’d have coped over a regular season made of 26-28 games, as we have now, and where Leigh would be in fantasy land now is the mind numbing rubbish like “Sheffield have bags of potential”, “get Newcastle in Super League and “London should be in Super League because it’s a bit exotic compared to Wakefield”. 

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

It is. Leigh were relegated under the rules in play during 2017. Fairly, too. How they’d have coped over a regular season made of 26-28 games, as we have now, and where Leigh would be in fantasy land now is the mind numbing rubbish like “Sheffield have bags of potential”, “get Newcastle in Super League and “London should be in Super League because it’s a bit exotic compared to Wakefield”. 

Who's doing any mind numbing rubbish where Leigh are concerned in this Top 6 question, most certainly not those who will be on the terraces and in the stands supporting them, being the Leigh's fans who contribute to these pages.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Who's doing any mind numbing rubbish where Leigh are concerned in this Top 6 question, most certainly not those who will be on the terraces and in the stands supporting them, being the Leigh's fans who contribute to these pages.

The bit where sweaty is claiming Leigh would be an established Super League club. Mind. Numbing. Rubbish. 

Good grief. "would Leigh be in the top six in superleague? " Would Oldham? Toulouse? Hunslet? Belle Vue rangers? It's a nonsense question. If Terry Flanagan won the euro-millions would saddleworth rangers be in the top six in superleague?  The question should be more specific, are the current players good enough to get Leigh into the top six? If they are then why aren't they playing for a top six team?

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Good grief. "would Leigh be in the top six in superleague? " Would Oldham? Toulouse? Hunslet? Belle Vue rangers? It's a nonsense question. If Terry Flanagan won the euro-millions would saddleworth rangers be in the top six in superleague?  The question should be more specific, are the current players good enough to get Leigh into the top six? If they are then why aren't they playing for a top six team?

If you are going to label something as nonsense, you probably shouldn't immediately follow it with a question like this, unless of course you'd like to put a case together than there isn't a single player at Hull KR, Hull FC, Warrington, Castleford or Wakefield that is good enough to get into a top 6 club. That truly would be nonsense wouldn't it..

8 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

If you are going to label something as nonsense, you probably shouldn't immediately follow it with a question like this, unless of course you'd like to put a case together than there isn't a single player at Hull KR, Hull FC, Warrington, Castleford or Wakefield that is good enough to get into a top 6 club. That truly would be nonsense wouldn't it..

That, in an awkward way, was the point I was trying to make.

The only thing they have to sort out now for next season is the spine, based on rumours and those already signed the rest of the squad should be more than able to compete.

But as it stands they're running into next season with a spine that is worse than the one that has just failed to keep TO up. As we've seen with TO this is crucial in the ability to close out the tight ones that could go either way and ultimately could be the difference between staying up and going down. No doubt that Beaumont will have something in the works to rectify this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UTK said:

The only thing they have to sort out now for next season is the spine, based on rumours and those already signed the rest of the squad should be more than able to compete.

But as it stands they're running into next season with a spine that is worse than the one that has just failed to keep TO up. As we've seen with TO this is crucial in the ability to close out the tight ones that could go either way and ultimately could be the difference between staying up and going down. No doubt that Beaumont will have something in the works to rectify this.

Lam, Mellor,Reynolds,Ipape not too shabby IMO 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Lam, Mellor,Reynolds,Ipape not too shabby IMO 

Mellor and Reynolds have both already proven they're not up to SL now, Mellor twice with both Toronto and then Leigh 2021.

Lam is mixed, shown talent but inconsistency has rendered him unable to secure a starting halves spot in the NRL despite the injury woes of the Roosters over the last few seasons.

Ipape is a gem, excited to see what he can bring to SL. Does lack experience at this level however but I'm happy to back him as a success.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, UTK said:

Mellor and Reynolds have both already proven they're not up to SL now, Mellor twice with both Toronto and then Leigh 2021.

Lam is mixed, shown talent but inconsistency has rendered him unable to secure a starting halves spot in the NRL despite the injury woes of the Roosters over the last few seasons.

Ipape is a gem, excited to see what he can bring to SL. Does lack experience at this level however but I'm happy to back him as a success.

I think that’s harsh on mellor. Was never really fit for a proper run of games last year, which was a shambles of a season from top to bottom anyway. And how many games into the season did Toronto last? 

14 minutes ago, UTK said:

Mellor was a decent half back for a few seasons at Widnes as a foil to Kevin Brown. His defence is good for someone of his size and he was clearly adept at that level.

OK, he's had a few years where he's not impressed but all at clubs in weird situations.

I've been impressed watching him this season he's got a more rounded game than he had at Widnes albeit I think he peaked here with his running and support game. But I think he's still has a lot to offer.

[I am his agent though]

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

How much money has Derek put into Leigh ?

In my view, it takes more than money from the owner. It takes leadership, drive, fire etc to achieve promotion and build a sustainable presence in SL.

That's the challenge, in my view. Being a rough diamond with a stentorian voice and an unusual turn of phrase just doesn't cut it any more.

But still, for all the ability, finances, management and players a Championship winning side may have, survival in SL is for from guaranteed.

That's why I suggest relegation protecting a promoted club in the first few years is something the authorities should be putting in place now. Don't know what or how, but the cerebral powerhouses at the top of our sport should be able to come up with something.

• Like 1

I wonder if some of the better TO players will be looking for a SL club next year or will they remain in the assumption they'd be highly likely to return to SL in a year's time?

If some do want to go, are they any in the squad that Leigh (assuming they will be promoted) would benefit from trying to sign? 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion.