England Squad

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

And to add... summed up for me with Sam Walker (8 stone wet through) going into a ruck and shoving people around.  Imagine doing that in the days when he would have got a proper dig.

See this is where i think rules nowadays being so restrictive doesnt help . Whether you should say it or not . Things simmer and simmer and there’s no real release valve . Theyd be better off having an all in brawl , sorting out who you have a beef and if you think your tough proving it , then getting on with it . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UTK said:

Agreed Lodge and JWH threw everything at him but he kept coming and won the physical battle from that point forward, demolished Crichton with powerful running and later frustrated JWH into getting binned. Got the Tedesco one all wrong but Burgess won the mini battle between the props. 

You can't live off ill-discipline but I actually think Burgess and to a lesser extent Radley (if he plays a little less dumb) showed how England should play against the top nations at the WC, penalties and sin bins are generally much less frequent in representative matches so you can get away with a bit more on the physical contact side. There's one thing that England has always and will always continue to produce and that is tough as nails forwards who aren't afraid to niggle and scrap their way under the opposition skin. Burgess, Radley, Thompson, Bateman, Whitehead, Knowles, Walmsley, Oledski etc will all hit you with everything they've got and won't back down from a physical confrontation - I think this is something that should be played into. Other teams should dread running into an England pack who isn't afraid to push those boundaries with a packed crowd supporting them, you look at Australia and we don't really have any enforcers like this - NZ have a couple of props like that, Tonga a handful, Papuans have that physical contact ingrained in them, but England have an entire pack of blokes ready to rip your head off and that strength should be capitalised on.

100 percent

• Like 1

Leeds vs Catalans and Easts vs Souths were two disgraceful and unedifying ''advertisements'' for the game. 

I watched the first with my dad and he walked away, saying he found it off-putting. My brother walked in with his breakfast as I was watching the game this morning and just shook his head when he saw the nonsense unfolding.

I love a good, tough game, but the niggle and nastiness spoiled both games.

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

See this is where i think rules nowadays being so restrictive doesnt help . Whether you should say it or not . Things simmer and simmer and there’s no real release valve . Theyd be better off having an all in brawl , sorting out who you have a beef and if you think your tough proving it , then getting on with it . 

I'm with you there. Tempers build up... especially when players know that they can rub heads or grab shirt fronts knowing that they won't get whacked or if they did the opposition is off with a red.

Can you imagine someone rubbing Mal Reilly's head or grabing his shirt and in his face.  He would be leaving on a stretcher.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm with you there. Tempers build up... especially when players know that they can rub heads or grab shirt fronts knowing that they won't get whacked or if they did the opposition is off with a red.

Can you imagine someone rubbing Mal Reilly's head or grabing his shirt and in his face.  He would be leaving on a stretcher.

One thing i’d like to know . If Radley gets a  ban does it run to the World Cup

Edited by DavidM

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

One thing i’d like to know . If Radley gets a  ban does it run to the World Cup

Can't see Radley getting much of a ban.  Even if he is carrying points forward.

Burgess is more likely to get a bigger ban.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Indeed . One thing i didnt like was the headslam . Whatever the discussion on toe to toe and high contact in tackles that is just a grub act 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Indeed . One thing i didnt like was the headslam . Whatever the discussion on toe to toe and high contact in tackles that is just a grub act 

I thought Waerea-Hargreaves was lucky to l have the first one called as accidental as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Radley not charged at all but Burgess could get two games 

Yeap,2 games with an early guiltily plea for the Tedesco one & escapes with a fine for the one on lodge,there’s talk of contesting the grading but can’t see that,it was a bad one.

Im going to throw my starting 13 out there. I've been undecided on 2nd row but this is what I think will be best for Samoa game

1. Tomkins

2. Makinson

3. Farnworth

4. Welsby (assuming Newman not fit)

5. Young

6. Lomax

7. Williams

8. Walmsley

9. Radley

10. Oledski

11. Whitehead

12. Bateman

13. Knowles

14. Thompson

15. Burgess

16. Clarke

17. Watkins 

• Like 2

I was trying to name an Aussie starting 13 (in my head) the other day, and it was probably the first time ever when i couldn't reel off a team with options in all positions. The Aussie pack doesn't have the kind of options it once did. Certainly not when it comes to the big units. Though still decent.
I settled on the following:

1 Tedesco

2 Addo-Carr

3 Holmes

4 Mitchell

5 Cobbo/Oates

6 Munster

7 Cleary

8 Haas

9 Cook

10 RCG

11 Crichton

12 Martin

13 Yeo

Bench

14 Murray

15 J Trjbojevic

16 Grant

17 Fa'asuamuleaui

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

11 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I was trying to name an Aussie starting 13 (in my head) the other day, and it was probably the first time ever when i couldn't reel off a team with options in all positions. The Aussie pack doesn't have the kind of options it once did. Certainly not when it comes to the big units. Though still decent.

1 Tedesco

2 Addo-Carr

3 Holmes

4 Mitchell

5 Cobbo/Oates

6 Munster

7 Cleary

8 Haas

9 Cook

10 RCG

11 Crichton

12 Martin

13 Yeo

Bench

14 Murray

15 J Trjbojevic

16 Grant

17 Fa'asuamuleaui

I wouldn't be surprised if Meninga went with Hunt and Grant in the 9 positions rather than Cook.  Hunt's versatility to cover in the halves would be very useful.  Also, I would expect Patrick Carrigan as player of the series for SOO to come into the mix... maybe for Trjbojevic.

Personally, I think this is a very good side but a long way from being unbeatable.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Meninga went with Hunt and Grant in the 9 positions rather than Cook.  Hunt's versatility to cover in the halves would be very useful.  Also, I would expect Patrick Carrigan as player of the series for SOO to come into the mix... maybe for Trjbojevic.

Personally, I think this is a very good side but a long way from being unbeatable.

Carrigan has been impressive. I actually forgot about him. Like I say i reckon others will no doubt suggest better alternatives that sprang to mind for me.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I’d be shocked if it wasn’t Hunt and Grant . Hunt has really been very consistent in an average side and Grant is a super running weapon and moved far ahead of Cook . Carrigan has had a tremendous season and Big Mal will also be swayed by their Origin displays . I just don’t get the love in with JTurbo now Yeo and Murray are so outstanding but I’d be glad if they picked him as a middle tbh , he wouldn’t frighten anyone 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

1 Tedesco

2 Addo-Carr

3 Holmes

4 Mitchell

5 Cobbo/Oates

6 Munster

7 Cleary

8 Haas

9 Cook

10 RCG

11 Crichton

12 Martin

13 Yeo

Bench

14 Murray

15 J Trjbojevic

16 Grant

17 Fa'asuamuleaui

I’ll be amazed if Cook’s in and Crichton. 

8 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

1 Tedesco

2 Addo-Carr

3 Holmes

4 Mitchell

5 Cobbo/Oates

6 Munster

7 Cleary

8 Haas

9 Cook

10 RCG

11 Crichton

12 Martin

13 Yeo

Bench

14 Murray

15 J Trjbojevic

16 Grant

17 Fa'asuamuleaui

You'll get a lot of variation even across Australians, edge back row is our least certain spot and I wouldn't be surprised if a bolter starts in the likes of Hudson Young or Shaun Lane. Fairly confident Sua'ali'i takes the open wing spot to round out a backline that otherwise picks itself. Carrigan and Cotter have I think locked themselves into being picked after Origin and late season form, Tino and Haas to round out the prop rotation. Backrow again you could have 100 different combinations, no one has really demanded the spot - IMO Murray starts as he's too good to leave out but won't usurp Yeo, I really wouldn't care who takes Crichtons edge there's plenty of similar options there, Nanai as the bench option because he's still too raw to start but has had too good a season to leave out of the 17.

1. Tedesco
  2. Addo-Carr
  3. Holmes
  4. Mitchell
  5. Sua'ali'i
  6. Munster
  7. Cleary
  8. Haas
  9. Hunt
  10. Fa'asuamaleaui
  11. Crichton
  12. Murray
  13. Yeo
  14. Grant
  15. Carrigan
  16. Cotter
  17. Nanai

A forward pack of talented players but not a fearsome one, the biggest threat in the forwards is the Hunt/Grant dual hooking arrangement which proved to be dynamite at time for QLD.

Edited by UTK
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

England won't beat anyone with him at halfback. He's slow and offers no creativity or spark at all. Despite his form for Warrington this year, George Williams is twice the player.

That’s what most people think but is very far from the truth. He is not you’re average half but he is a Great organiser and leader, Fantastic on defence, he has a great kicking game and loves to run the football. He’s the type of player that sets up attacks and you may not see what his doing on the field but trust me he’s very good and should be England’s 7 for sure.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

That’s what most people think but is very far from the truth. He is not you’re average half but he is a Great organiser and leader, Fantastic on defence, he has a great kicking game and loves to run the football. He’s the type of player that sets up attacks and you may not see what his doing on the field but trust me he’s very good and should be England’s 7 for sure.

I agree. I would start Hastings at 7 for England easily. I actually thought he was the best player for the tigers this year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1