Fri 9th Sept: SL: Catalans Dragons v Leeds Rhinos KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/09/22 at 19:00

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

The result and Catalan dragons mental collapse was definitely not the refs fault, but I've always thought Childs is a poor ref as far too often games he's "controlling" fall apart, he just doesn't have the authority or gravitas and players definitely take advantage. 

I’d agree with that but I certainly don’t think the RFL did him or Catalan any favours by booking him on the Leeds chartered flight. This isn’t just a coincidence where the team and the refs booked the same plane. This is the RFL booking them on Leeds plane for me it’s like the ref turning up on the away team coach it comical. When you add that to Catalans believing that the refs and the RFL are against them anyway this was only going to go one way. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

He was not however entitled to act sarcastically and have a strip when his team were rightly punished. 

Technically he isn’t entitled to ask questions of the referee. Captain or not. He may approach the referee in a respectful manner to clarify but there is zero entitlement and no excuse for acting sarcastically or having a strop

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barca Mum said:

As captain Garcia was entitled to ask the questions of the one sided decisions 

So much wrong in so few words.

No entitlement to ask whether captain or not.

No one sided decisions. Look at yourself would be a more accurate message to the Catalans’ players.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Tommygilf said:
11 hours ago, M j M said:

Seriously though the way it kicked off at the end with the last few minutes played in a rain of bottles and beer cups, Child having to be manhandled off the pitch amongst a shower of  missiles, the Leeds players dodging similar as they celebrated and then the brief bit of fighting on the stairs leading to the away seating was all a bit intense.

Posted earlier on this, Catalans should be fined by Super League

Even French Catalonians hate Leeds 😂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I’d agree with that but I certainly don’t think the RFL did him or Catalan any favours by booking him on the Leeds chartered flight. This isn’t just a coincidence where the team and the refs booked the same plane. This is the RFL booking them on Leeds plane for me it’s like the ref turning up on the away team coach it comical. When you add that to Catalans believing that the refs and the RFL are against them anyway this was only going to go one way. 

As I put earlier , the ref travelled with Leigh due to the Icelandic ash cloud problem years back , but given the magnitude of the game this could/should have been avoided 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Technically he isn’t entitled to ask questions of the referee. Captain or not. He may approach the referee in a respectful manner to clarify but there is zero entitlement and no excuse for acting sarcastically or having a strop

But they all do , and get away with it , again this should be sorted pre match , In a changing room ' chat ' including players and head coach , everybody then knows exactly where they stand 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Booking the match officials on the same plane as the visiting team is ridiculous and just adds fuel to the fire the crowd were well aware of this and reacted accordingly.

No excuses for the dragons poor performance 2 points.

* Childs was awful and 100% made matters worse (Thaler as video ref is like the slow boat to China) 

* Napa is a complete waste of space 

Apart from that fun evening my blog should be up later on today on you tube (Saw Tim Wilby there now thats a blast from the passed:)

Cheers 

Paul

I

Just now, ATLANTISMAN said:

Booking the match officials on the same plane as the visiting team is ridiculous and just adds fuel to the fire the crowd were well aware of this and reacted accordingly.

No excuses for the dragons poor performance 2 points.

* Childs was awful and 100% made matters worse (Thaler as video ref is like the slow boat to China) 

* Napa is a complete waste of space 

Apart from that fun evening my blog should be up later on today on you tube (Saw Tim Wilby there now thats a blast from the passed:)

Cheers 

Paul

I

To be fair to Thaler he could’ve asked for any camera angle or speed he wanted in the replay. The match director would’ve probably put up a slide show from his holiday in Tuscany. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

To be fair to Thaler he could’ve asked for any camera angle or speed he wanted in the replay. The match director would’ve probably put up a slide show from his holiday in Tuscany. 

One thing I noticed walking to my seat the camera man behind the goal was speaking to his controller in Spanish (Maybe it was a spanish production team very unusual)

Paul

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Just watching it back. Dudson headbutts Austin 70th ish minute a few minutes before getting sent off for butting Sezer 

If he doesn't get at least 5 games then it's a disgrace 

The whole game after the first 10 minutes was a mess , gradually getting worse as it went on 

1 hour ago, Hvy wg said:

Its easy. McNamara is coach. Yaha wont get game time unless either Johnstone or Davies are injured.

Correct. Johnstone, if fit, walks into the team. Still baffled as to why anyone thinks Davies is anywhere near good enough for the England WC squad though. Competent winger yes, international quality (for a team who have aims of winning the comp), absolutely not.

48 minutes ago, LeeF said:

This was an area where Child was too passive.  He allowed Garcia to rant and stayed very calm.  As I say,  calmness is a good thing,  but you can use a firm voice and remain calm. I find that Child looks like he is ignoring things as he literally has no expression on his face and just seems to look past the incident playing out in front of him. 

In this instance he had done a good job of explaining to Garcia why he was binning his player,  so Garcia was doing nothing more than strop.  A firm warning really was needed from Child at that point. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I know but surely headbutts are as dangerous as it gets.....at least 5 games should be 

Catalan just seemed to want to fight everyone and everything.....McBanana hit this seriously wrong

The grading for this starts at C/D for light contact. 2 to 5 games. 

Full contact goes to D/F.  3+

I'd expect 4 or 5 maybe. 

If those claiming that Prior's was the same,  then that rules him out too.  I don't think it was,  but will be one to watch. 

Just now, Dave T said:

The grading for this starts at C/D for light contact. 2 to 5 games. 

Full contact goes to D/F.  3+

I'd expect 4 or 5 maybe. 

If those claiming that Prior's was the same,  then that rules him out too.  I don't think it was,  but will be one to watch. 

Priors was nothing, he accidentally connected with tomkins head whilst standing up, Tomkins then play acted with a dive.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Priors was nothing, he accidentally connected with tomkins head whilst standing up, Tomkins then play acted with a dive.

It's almost as if every incident isn't the same.  Which is an interesting turn of events after the disciplinary discussions this week 🤔 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I don't know whether it's a French sporting culture,  but the victim mentality is thriving at Catalans and it has for years. 

The Chairman,  coaches,  fans and players are all as bad as each other. 

I'd describe Catalans as my 2nd team and I support them apart from games against Wire,  but sometimes they make it hard to do so. 

The French players were the problem then?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.