England’s World Cup QF & SF Venue

I remember ahead of the original scheduling of the World Cup in 2021 there was press that wherever England finished in the group they would be routed to an Anfield QF and Emirates SF in terms of venues.

Since the move to 2022 and also the switch from Anfield to the DW I don’t think I’ve seen the same press. Can anyone confirm if any automatic routing is still taking place?

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

23 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I remember ahead of the original scheduling of the World Cup in 2021 there was press that wherever England finished in the group they would be routed to an Anfield QF and Emirates SF in terms of venues.

Since the move to 2022 and also the switch from Anfield to the DW I don’t think I’ve seen the same press. Can anyone confirm if any automatic routing is still taking place?

I don't think the quarter final promise still holds because, as you say, since the switch from Anfield they don't say it any more. So it's Wigan if group winners, Warrington if runners up. 

But for the semis, the way the draw is structured we'll play at the Emirates either way anyway providing we make it that far, so that one still holds. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I don't think the quarter final promise still holds because, as you say, since the switch from Anfield they don't say it any more. So it's Wigan if group winners, Warrington if runners up. 

But for the semis, the way the draw is structured we'll play at the Emirates either way anyway providing we make it that far, so that one still holds. 

Yes that’s a really good point on the semi final, both our possible QF’s route to the Emirates. Thanks 👍

47 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Thanks, you’d think that would be trustworthy 🤞 appreciate the help!

Just to add confusion I emailed the rugby league World Cup who said winners play Wigan and runners up Warrington and same day got a reply off love rugby league who are saying there post is correct after been told by the rugby league World Cup . 

• Like 1

Seems daft that the venue (wigan) for the quater final is smaller than all 3 venues for the group games. 

Infact group games of some of the smaller teams taking place at Cov and Boro are both bigger than the DW. 

Surely the QF should have been in a 35k ish stadium as a minimum. 

I know it was supposed to be anfield and its no longer available but why down size on such a big scale. 

Edited by Ragingbull
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Seems daft that the venue (wigan) for the quater final is smaller than all 3 venues for the group games. 

Infact group games of some of the smaller teams taking place at Cov and Boro are both bigger than the DW. 

I know it was supposed to be anfield and its no longer available but why down size on such a big scale. 

Depends where else was available, as the football season is on there’s unlikely to have been many suitable grounds available that day. DW is better than Warrington or St Helens tho, so don’t be too dissapointed. 

On 10/09/2022 at 06:07, JohnM said:

Not heard that but I'd like to think so, as there's three of us going to the Emirates.

I thought England would attract more fans than that. Still, well done ... we can't all be Welsh.

• Haha 3

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

32 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Depends where else was available, as the football season is on there’s unlikely to have been many suitable grounds available that day. DW is better than Warrington or St Helens tho, so don’t be too dissapointed. 

There will be plenty of available venues unless by some mirracle every team that plays in a 25k seat stadium is at home that weekend. 

1 hour ago, Ragingbull said:

Quarter finals are notoriously difficult sells. I was at the England v France 2013 quarter final and it wasn't sold out with 22,276. I was also at Samoa v Fiji and that wasn't sold out either. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

There will be plenty of available venues unless by some mirracle every team that plays in a 25k seat stadium is at home that weekend. 

Which ones that are available (not that you know about availability but assume that they’re available that weekend if there’s no match on) would be more appropriate than Wigan? 

Edited by Eddie

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Which ones that are available (not that you know about availability but assume that they’re available that weekend if there’s no match on) would be more appropriate than Wigan? 

Hang on ill just get on the phone to every football club in the country and find out. 

Edited by Ragingbull

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Quarter finals are notoriously difficult sells. I was at the England v France 2013 quarter final and it wasn't sold out with 22,276. I was also at Samoa v Fiji and that wasn't sold out either. 

Yep.  I don't think people will be rushing out to buy these in advance,  as they don't know who they will be buying for. 

The fixtures may be tasty this time which may help,  but this being the 4th fixture at Wire is a problem,  and the 2nd at Hull too. 

4 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

QFs historically don't sell well

40 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yep.  I don't think people will be rushing out to buy these in advance,  as they don't know who they will be buying for. 

The fixtures may be tasty this time which may help,  but this being the 4th fixture at Wire is a problem,  and the 2nd at Hull too. 

I wonder if the Warrington QF possibly being Tonga v Samoa (if England beat Samoa) may be a saving grace? I'm not going to any of the three games at Warrington, but probably would go to a QF there if it was Tonga v Samoa. Not saying that I'm a representative sample but still...

5 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I wonder if the Warrington QF possibly being Tonga v Samoa (if England beat Samoa) may be a saving grace? I'm not going to any of the three games at Warrington, but probably would go to a QF there if it was Tonga v Samoa. Not saying that I'm a representative sample but still...

Yeah,  I listed the potential fixtures a while back and they do look good which is helpful.  But even back in 2013 with far more sensible pricing the 2nd Wire game didn't sell out,  and this time we have four. That quarter was a tasty Samoa.v Fiji too. 

• Like 1

So on Saturday I was happy that the venues were clear 😂 now less so about where the QF venue will be for England! Love rugby league 😂