37 of 42 back IMG’s proposal

1 hour ago, Hemi4561 said:

Come out and state unequivocally that you believe that it is imperative that the semi professional clubs should be supported so that they survive as it is I the sport's interest 

How odd.

I think every semi professional club will wither and die if no money comes into Super League because it has fallen behind the times. That is why IMG are acting for the whole game.

Edit: in fact, I'd have semi pro teams competing in their own competition where full timers were banned. Pointless contests and leagues that are sewn up before a whistle is blown make no sense for anyone. 

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

Had several warm Ford's over the years, V8 lightweight as well.

Bought it on cup final day 96 from a teddy boy on the Wirral , idea was a Fiat twin cam , but apart from Capri front struts and steering it's still untouched , thinking of a Mazda MX 5 engine and box now 

Lanny needs a gearbox and some TLC 

Working too hard ATM  😴

I need and Anglia back axle if you know anybody who has one 😀 

I thought the user name might be engine related , but I thought they only did the 250 , the Dart engine , I used to rent a lock up years ago , the one 3 doors down had a Dart with a Jensen engine in it 

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

Same question as I posed to HKR, say it out loud. 

You ignored my direct answer though, despite referencing the question to me again subsequent to my response, presumably because it didn’t fit your victimhood narrative?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

19 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Bought it on cup final day 96 from a teddy boy on the Wirral , idea was a Fiat twin cam , but apart from Capri front struts and steering it's still untouched , thinking of a Mazda MX 5 engine and box now 

Lanny needs a gearbox and some TLC 

Working too hard ATM  😴

I need and Anglia back axle if you know anybody who has one 😀 

I thought the user name might be engine related , but I thought they only did the 250 , the Dart engine , I used to rent a lock up years ago , the one 3 doors down had a Dart with a Jensen engine in it 

The Daimler saloons, not mk2 jags, the Majestic Majors had a 4.6 litre version of the 2.5 engine.

Sorry don't know anyone with an Anglia axle, been out.of.the trade for a while now so only fettle my own now.I did know a bloke who dragged a hot Ford pop and he used the original axle as he reckoned it was bomb proof to above 200 bhp.

10 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

You ignored my direct answer though, despite referencing the question to me again subsequent to my response, presumably because it didn’t fit your victimhood narrative?  

I’ll take your laugh as embarrassed acceptance then @Hemi4561.

I’m glad we agree on the need to financially support the Championship and League 1 from any TV contract. In the spirit of reciprocity, can I ask if your interest also extends to the wider community game which is equally if not more important, or is it coincidentally focused on simply funding a semi-pro team you happen to support? 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Just now, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I’ll take your laugh as embarrassed acceptance then @Hemi4561.

I’m glad we agree on the need to financially support the Championship and League 1 from any TV contract. In the spirit of reciprocity, can I ask if your interest also extends to the wider community game which is equally if not more important, or is it coincidentally focused on simply funding a semi-pro team you happen to support? 

No, I am laughing at you.

20 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

No, I am laughing at you.

I’ve answered your question, we agree on that important point. Your answer to mine? 

There’s a very good article in this month’s Forty-20 on IMG’s plans for league with input from, and details of, the team of people they’ve got working on it.

Goes into how not only the traditional subscription model is dead but even the way people have traditionally followed a team and cheered them on via TV is changing.

Mentions they are doing social media training with RL players to create interesting content. They say Instagram et al is the future of how some people (ie young people) will consume sports content.

But the main thrust of it is the rise of digital media behemoths getting into sport, they say, presents a huge opportunity.

Apple, Amazon, Google/YouTube et al have belatedly twigged how valuable live sport is for driving audience growth & engagement and IMG thinks league can capitalise.

The elephant in the room is the NRL, which is not mentioned at all in the article.

Yet you’d think to get the likes of Amazon interested in league, the NRL would have to part of it.

No link to the article, obvs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

There’s a very good article in this month’s Forty-20 on IMG’s plans for league with input from, and details of, the team of people they’ve got working on it.

Goes into how not only the traditional subscription model is dead but even the way people have traditionally followed a team and cheered them on via TV is changing.

Mentions they are doing social media training with RL players to create interesting content. They say Instagram et al is the future of how some people (ie young people) will consume sports content.

But the main thrust of it is the rise of digital media behemoths getting into sport, they say, presents a huge opportunity.

Apple, Amazon, Google/YouTube et al have belatedly twigged how valuable live sport is for driving audience growth & engagement and IMG thinks league can capitalise.

The elephant in the room is the NRL, which is not mentioned at all in the article.

Yet you’d think to get the likes of Amazon interested in league, the NRL would have to part of it.

Not necessarily, nobody really gives a toss what happens down the Harris end of the planet 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

I welcome other platforms other than Sky to be the main provider of transmitted live RL, but is this a good bargaining tool to take to Sky if we even want the next contract value to equate the last one and not fall further. 

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Not in the UK. The market for the NRL in the UK on streaming is close to zero.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

MLS has gone down the streaming route with their new TV rights deal.  They're getting 2.5 billion US$ from Apple for 10 years (250 million US$ per year) but they have to pay the production costs to put every single match online.  Those are estimated to be 50,000 US$ per match (they'll apparently produce them with commentary in all three of their current broadcast partners' languages) by one observer.  That would add up to 25.3 million US$ for their 2023 regular season and playoffs, 1/10 of their money from Apple.

Interestingly their current TV partners Fox and ESPN, TelevisaUnivision in the US and TSN and RDS in Canada renewed their deals too so that income should more than cover those production costs.  I haven't been able to track down the value of those renewals (the terms were not announced) but their old deals with Fox, ESPN and TelevisaUnivision paid them 75 million and 15 million US$ a year respectively, I'm not sure offhand how much their two Canadian TV deals paid them before.  As those networks will no longer have exclusive rights to their individual pieces (US English-language, US Castillian*-language, Canada English-language and Canada French-language) of the overall audience, the fee for their packages have apparently gone down some.

Where British RL is going to get the money to produce all their matches in both English and French and find commentators who can do a job competent enough for a broader audience than it has now is a very good question!

* AKA "Spanish" but I wouldn't recommend calling it "Español" in Catalonia!

Edited by Big Picture

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Thanks for the update MOK it's exactly what I said and thought was missing and most of which was/is far more important than any restructure.

I'm not sure why you think the NRL is the elephant in the room though because they're mentioned far too often for that to be the case.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, Big Picture said:

MLS has gone down the streaming route with their new TV rights deal.  They're getting 2.5 billion US$ from Apple for 10 years (250 million US$ per year) but they have to pay the production costs to put every single match online.  Those are estimated to be 50,000 US$ per match (they'll apparently produce them with commentary in all three of their current broadcast partners' languages) by one observer.  That would add up to 25.3 million US$ for their 2023 regular season and playoffs, 1/10 of their money from Apple.

Interestingly their current TV partners Fox and ESPN, TelevisaUnivision in the US and TSN and RDS in Canada renewed their deals too so that income should more than cover those production costs.  I haven't been able to track down the value of those renewals (the terms were not announced) but their old deals with Fox, ESPN and TelevisaUnivision paid them 75 million and 15 million US$ a year respectively, I'm not sure offhand how much their two Canadian TV deals paid them before.  As those networks will no longer have exclusive rights to their individual pieces (US English-language, US Castillian*-language, Canada English-language and Canada French-language) of the overall audience, the fee for their packages have apparently gone down some.

Where British RL is going to get the money to produce all their matches in both English and French and find commentators who can do a job competent enough for a broader audience than it has now is a very good question!

* AKA "Spanish" but I wouldn't recommend calling it "Español" in Catalonia!

Interesting model with Apple

On the podcast I shared further up ^, the IMG fella was saying their own ‘lightbulb moment’ was how odd it was that sports’ IP owners allowed other people to create and package their content, and that it’d be better if you you made it yourself and sold that to media so you had greater control of the output - both in terms of how it looked, and multi-channel ways of publishing it. Will be interesting to see if we go down that route with rugby league. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Interesting model with Apple

On the podcast I shared further up ^, the IMG fella was saying their own ‘lightbulb moment’ was how odd it was that sports’ IP owners allowed other people to create and package their content, and that it’d be better if you you made it yourself and sold that to media so you had greater control of the output - both in terms of how it looked, and multi-channel ways of publishing it. Will be interesting to see if we go down that route with rugby league. 

If we do, we need to be better than sticking Dave Woods outside on his lunch. (No offense to Dave!)

7 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

SKY SPORTS long term is a dead model Super League (Or whatever its called down the line) will be far better off producing its own content.

£ 25 million a year is peanuts compared what it could make in a few years time.

P

15 years ago I wanted the excluded lower tier clubs to start to produce their own non live content in a highlights package , and take control of their own merchandise production as well 

Both could have been very lucrative by now 

• Like 2

On 14/01/2023 at 13:13, dkw said:

Thays his entire posting history, I don't understand why people are still replying to him. He doesn't want to actually discuss anything.

I went down the ignore route and its made for a much easier read with people in terms of people not repeating themselves over and over. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Not trying to be difficult but how is 25.3m 1/10th of 2.5 billion.. isnt it more 1% (1/100th)? 1/10th would be 253 million... 

its a drop in the ocean for what they are getting from apple really and then you can add on the rest. 

As a general point on looking at streaming platforms: I'm glad this has been mentioned as an option as I see how my 14 year old son (and 12 year old daughter but not so much sport) consumes his general tv and how he watches sport and each year its moving more and more to the likes of you tube. We no longer have an aerial into the house or sky/virgin we are all through smart tvs plugged into the internet and using apps to watch mainstream tv, Now tv, Netflix etc and have seen no change in our viewing habits or issues to watch what we want, but we are saving £50-60 per month.

It may be that we need another contract with Sky to get ourselves ready to go to some of these other people, it may be that with IMG's experience in production, that we could go right now. It will hopefully show to Sky that we arent the nailed on certainty that they may think we are now and I dont think that is a bad things. 

• Thanks 1