RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

43 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

NFL get 80K in the UK regularly to watch utter dross that’s also on live TV

The NFL is also a novelty, has not other matches of the sport at a that quality in this country and a much higher marketing budget!

Because you don't like it, doesn't mean no-one will turn up, and at much higher prices for the cheapest tickets..

Just now, RigbyLuger said:

The NFL is also a novelty, has not other matches of the sport at a that quality in this country and a much higher marketing budget!

Because you don't like it, doesn't mean no-one will turn up, and at much higher prices for the cheapest tickets..

The comparison is still a good barometer of what people will pay to watch live and how RL stacks up in that KPI.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

All I saw today was a great performance and a Record QF crowd.

Different ways of looking at it I suppose.

Reality is, they couldn't even sell out a small stadium in a rugby league town, for their national team in a world cup knock out game. 

All I saw, was yet more empty seats. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Thank goodness someone is willing to say it.

For a world cup quarter final, against an attractive PNG side (whom we never see in Europe) at Wigan (the capital of rugby league in England) it is fair to say that demand for tickets should dramatically exceed supply.

For growth in attendances & revenue selling out a game like this is a clear target.  Might be only a few thousand missing, but sellouts have a value beyond the game itself.   Many things have gone wrong such as pricing, venues & website, plus factors out of our control like postponement, rail strike, cost of living & more competitive sporting calendar. 

Believe it would have sold out if only a couple of those had gone right.  Can see a positive in that - we've had more attractive quarter finals I expect, yet this one had a record attendance despite several things not being ideal.  Missed opportunity, but also sign of the potential there.  

17 minutes ago, Griff said:

I don't know why we bother with results of the games.

People are far more interested in attendances.

Just spotted that on page 157, very observant. 

• Haha 6

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Australian National team V Lebanon is a novelty……. 8k

1 minute ago, Madrileño said:

Reality is, they couldn't even sell out a small stadium in a rugby league town, for their national team in a world cup knock out game. 

For a game like this, that is the size of our market. There is no disgrace in that. Of course we should be trying hard to grow and sell more each time, but we are not a huge spectator sport. 

1 minute ago, Cowardly Fan said:

For growth in attendances & revenue selling out a game like this is a clear target.  Might be only a few thousand missing, but sellouts have a value beyond the game itself.   Many things have gone wrong such as pricing, venues & website, plus factors out of our control like postponement, rail strike, cost of living & more competitive sporting calendar. 

Believe it would have sold out if only a couple of those had gone right.  Can see a positive in that - we've had more attractive quarter finals I expect, yet this one had a record attendance despite several things not being ideal.  Missed opportunity, but also sign of the potential there.  

The potential was there in 2013 , why are we no further forward 

5 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

England RU are playing Argentina tomorrow in an 80K stadium.  Argentina are not All blacks or south africa, but tier 2 country.

I bet there are more the 23K at that game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

For a game like this, that is the size of our market. There is no disgrace in that. Of course we should be trying hard to grow and sell more each time, but we are not a huge spectator sport. 

Fair enough. 

I can't help but feel that the market for a World Cup should be much bigger than existing Super League fans. Surely with a proper marketing campaign, the organisers could be tapping into the general public/casual sports fans?

20k should be attainable easily enough just by including the existing rugby league community. No?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, I remember you seeing the bigger picture around Toronto and definitely not discussing their attendances. 😆

Toronto was able to pack in ever increasing large crowds....then they had their throats slit.

• Thanks 1

Just now, crashmon said:

England RU are playing Argentina tomorrow in an 80K stadium.  Argentina are not All blacks or south africa, but tier 2 country.

I bet there are more the 23K at that game.

Argentina are NOT a Tier 2 country 😂. You've also picked a game where ticket sales are said to be disappointing. 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Why do you think that is?

1 minute ago, RL Tragic said:

The potential was there in 2013 , why are we no further forward 

For the reasons I listed. 

Believe we are still moving forward in terms of revenue, media reach and the other tournaments even if attendances aren't what they could/should have been.  Also notable this is first time we've moved away from super groups, which is a step I think we needed to take, but does present a challenge in giving less marquee games.  

Just now, Kayakman said:

Toronto was able to pack in ever increasing large crowds....then they had their throats slit.

As JB has pointed out. We are at page 157. Now is not the time to bring TWP into the debate 🤣

Just now, Dave T said:

As JB has pointed out. We are at page 157. Now is not the time to bring TWP into the debate 🤣

I was not the one that brought it up but it is relevant.....I have been reading all of theses pages about poor attendances plus I have watched most games and the empty stadiums are a real heart breaker.  there were lessons to be learned from the Wolfpack (both good and bad)....attendances was something they did very well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Yes and some still see Toronto as a success due to their crowds 😉

THAT IS NOT FUNNY...AS ARE THE CURRENT SMALL CROWDS NOT FUNNY....THERE IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM AND YET ANOTHER MISSED OPPORTUNITY!

1 minute ago, St Reatham said:

As regards to the NFL London games, the NFL is seen as trendy and fashionable, whereas rugby league is not.

It was in Toronto....then Elstone slit their throats.

4 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Argentina are NOT a Tier 2 country 😂. You've also picked a game where ticket sales are said to be disappointing. 

Thats my point

But will it be over 23K?

I was at 2013 game vs Ireland at Huddsfield and the place was rocking with 24K.  Yet in 2022 we play a much more attractive team in PNG in a quarter final, we should at least be above that, and playing the game in a 30K stadium with saless approaching 30K.  yet we are happy with 23K.

Argentina are tier 2 when it comes to attractiveness of fixture.  I would say Japan, NZ and SA are all more attractive fixtures than the Argentina one.

• Like 2