Is anyone else..

Tonka

World Cup Yes or No, no fence sitting poll  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Are you loving this World Cup?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/10/22 at 12:13

absolutely loving this World Cup?

Having had so little international RL am loving seeing the fresh teams, players and match ups.  I'm not remotely bothered about attendances/growing the game/the same old usual complaints.  It's good bloody stuff, the teams are making a massive effort and putting on a great spectacle.  I'm so excited about the semis and final and just pray to the holy baby Jesus we get there 🙏

That's it.

• Like 13

I am loving it. I have said it for years now that international rugby is the way build the profile of rugby league. Sorry to say but the average Joe Bloggs anywhere outside of a SL town does not even have RL on his radar. 

MORE INTERNATIONAL RUGBY!

I love seeing the national teams and the pride and passion they show.

• Like 9

How can you not love it?

The greatest players on the planet playing with and against unknown guys playing for their countries in a world cup, some for the 1st time

The colours and sounds from the various nations and their supporters

The freedom of watching matches without a huge emotional attachment

Players wanting to play rugby and not trying to pause the game every 2 minutes

Hearing different voices in commentary and summaries than the ones we're used to

Jamaica and Greece both actually competing and scoring in a World Cup, who would have thought that 10 years ago.

Seeing Rugby league fans looking like they are actually enjoying something

But i enjoy every World cup whether there's a million empty seats or 1 at every game, the World cup is about what happens on the field and in the various national team camps!!

Roll on 2025 i'm off to France!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, craig hamilton said:

I am loving it. I have said it for years now that international rugby is the way build the profile of rugby league. Sorry to say but the average Joe Bloggs anywhere outside of a SL town does not even have RL on his radar. 

MORE INTERNATIONAL RUGBY!

I love seeing the national teams and the pride and passion they show.

They may care little for the vast number of matches, but the level of coverage means this will be e posed to millions of people over the 6 weeks. 

We are being shown all over places we wouldn't normally be. Creating more viral moments is what it's about, and the players, as ever, are doing a damn fine job of it. 

England's stunning performance. 

Greece's debut and superb tries

A Tonga/PNG epic

Abley supported by a few solid games. On the field has been outstanding, with loads more to come. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, daz39 said:

How can you not love it?

The greatest players on the planet playing with and against unknown guys playing for their countries in a world cup, some for the 1st time

The colours and sounds from the various nations and their supporters

The freedom of watching matches without a huge emotional attachment

Players wanting to play rugby and not trying to pause the game every 2 minutes

Hearing different voices in commentary and summaries than the ones we're used to

Jamaica and Greece both actually competing and scoring in a World Cup, who would have thought that 10 years ago.

Seeing Rugby league fans looking like they are actually enjoying something

But i enjoy every World cup whether there's a million empty seats or 1 at every game, the World cup is about what happens on the field and in the various national team camps!!

Roll on 2025 i'm off to France!

I'm off to France 2! 

It’s absolutely fantastic 

yes there are a few issues off the field but on the field its delivering in spades.

We also don’t need to worry too much about lopsided scores at this stage, for some if the teams such as Jamaica and Greece it is literally all about being involved.

At the group  stages its like a festival of RL when we get to the knockout stages the intensity and ‘quality’ of RL (Although the wuality is slready great) will rise a fair few notches

• Like 1

I’ve enjoyed the games . Imo off the pitch with things like the match day presentation , tv coverage and crowds have been a disappointment and not befitting the great players and action involved in a World Cup . That part has been underwhelming and at times a bit cheap . A lot of these grounds should be full , and with all the time to prepare and endless PR about getting ready it’s a let down 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 2

I am absolutely loving it.

I think it natural to have a bit of a lull when of the teams that are less well known play but I think these are just as enjoyable.  We have 2 more weeks of fun seeing of there are any more tight games to call.

Then when we get to the quarters things will be huge.

If matches go to form from this point we will have.

England vs. PNG

Samoa vs. Tonga

Australia vs. Ireland or Lebanon 

New Zealand vs. Fiji

Those will be se cracking games and then the semi's and final... 3 weeks of fantastic Rugby League.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Loving it ?

Why should I?

Perhaps because in Coventry tonight some unassuming guy puts out his hand to me and says to me " Hello, I'm Mel Melinga" 

I wanted to say I know you are but I was so star struck I couldn't speak.

Talking to some of the Ozzie players at their civic reception in Coventry tonight they were really enjoying the innominity  of no one having a clue of who they were.

It's fair to say I have had a brilliant night

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Just on the scores, we need to all worry a lot less about hammerings. In the Yawnion version games with blowout scores are all about "plucky minnows" or how brilliant the bigger team is, or both. In RL for some reason people (including media) bang on about not having enough quality teams. 

• Like 1

If you've not enjoyed the cup so far I suggest you give up altogether. 
The Blow outs will happen, they do in other sports and they will always happen in League, but who can dampen the enthusiasm of PNG or Greece? Who can deny Jamaica their moment in the (English Autumn) Sun?

Predictably the last 8 are looking like being the teams that were the top 8 seeded teams, but that doesn't stop the idea of Lebanon v Ireland, France v Samoa, Fiji v Italy or PNG v Cook Islands as being key clashes with the winner taking all. Ask a Greek international if he's either a/worried about getting a cricket score against them when they play England or b/if he's as excited and proud as hell and then you'll get your answer. This is the World Cup. The best players of Rugby League on this planet, so let's stop whining about ticket prices and low attendance and enjoy it whilst it's on.

I know I am enjoying it more than 2017, that's for sure!

• Like 1

Yes, loving it. Can't wait for each game and have loved seeing all the different teams so far.

My only tinge of annoyance is with the attendances, only because I know they could have been so much better with proper pricing, appropriate venues and better sales and marketing. Frustrating!

• Like 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

There are always people who obsess over crowd figures. Those that attend are only a fraction of the audience given that all the matches are on major prime time BBC channels. Some are comparing attendances this year with 2013 but the most of the matches then were on an obscure pay for view channel.

Lets see the final viewing reach the exposure that the RL is getting is fantastic and will only be good for the game!