Leigh changing their name? Bored journo doing a rumour?

28 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

We now know what type of underwear DB wears… 🤮 

at least the oddballs leigh range will be easy to design!!spacer.png

• Haha 1

Had an idea this was coming a few days ago 😂 , never really liked the Centurions thing , Am I happy with the new ' moniker ' ? , Well there are worse , there are better , personally as long as we play in Leigh , are called Leigh , I couldn't care less 

Am I surprised Derek has done this ? , No , nothing that Derek does surprises me 😂 , will it work ? , Don't really see why not , the colour change if that is a permenant thing not sure , but I'll still be there next year , some decent players there , that's more what I'm interested in 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

U Turns are popular these days

Leeds Utd famously U Turned on their rebrand but I don't know actually how far they went with it I think it was just a logo

The one thing with people/teams and U turns is there is normally a certain level of self awareness... I don't believe there is with DB... (either that or pressure from within, and again.....)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Niels said:

Seriously, I think it is a great move.

Children identify more with animals, hence why a lot of clubs use their names.

the name isn't actually the main issue though - its the branding that's ridiculously amateurish, and having a Leopards back side on the shirt is just ridiculous

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Had an idea this was coming a few days ago 😂 , never really liked the Centurions thing , Am I happy with the new ' moniker ' ? , Well there are worse , there are better , personally as long as we play in Leigh , are called Leigh , I couldn't care less 

Am I surprised Derek has done this ? , No , nothing that Derek does surprises me 😂 , will it work ? , Don't really see why not , the colour change if that is a permenant thing not sure , but I'll still be there next year , some decent players there , that's more what I'm interested in 

Which moniker is worse?

And the idea of a moniker is actually not to be known as Leigh, otherwise it's pointless.

Think about the successful ones

Rhinos, Bulls...

Edited by Chrispmartha

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

the name isn't actually the main issue though - its the branding that's ridiculously amateurish, and having a Leopards back side on the shirt is just ridiculous

Try saying Leigh Leopards quickly. A sports team name shouldn't be a tongue twister 

Just now, OriginalMrC said:

Try saying Leigh Leopards quickly. A sports team name shouldn't be a tongue twister 

Oh don't get me wrong it's not the best at all, but as Ive said above the idea of adopting these names is to be known as that alone, so to be successful they need to be know as the Leopards - it''s not going to happen is it

6 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Yes that's true.

As you say, the name isn't an issue. I was thinking children are more likely to see Leopards and associate the team rather than with Centurions. 

There are teams called Leopards in the USA and Africa who have interesting badges. 

Edited by Niels

8 hours ago, doc said:

Leigh Llamas.

Leigh Lizards.

Leigh Leopards.

Leigh Coopers.

Leigh Lunchables.

Leigh Vitalone.

Fed up now.😁

Knew I should've put money on it!😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes, and your ground isn't 85% owned by the football team. 🙂

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

11 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

It's got the clubs publicity and might bring in new sponsors. Just saying

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

I'm actually thinking it might be a big wind up - but if it is I'd think its ridiculously unprofessional and not a good look for the club at all.

Either way they and DB look like chumps

It’s definitely a wind up, and a very good one. 

Edited by Eddie