Tuesday 25 October: PNG vs Cook Islands KO 19:30 BST

Just now, Stuff Smith said:

Futtocks, is this about the controversial Cook Islands try?

Because, if it is, I think it's perfectly reasonable for Rugby League fans to comment on a controversial decision in a televised Rugby League game.

Especially when the game stops,and we see seemingly endless replays of it. 

So, for a couple of minutes, our attention isn't directly on the game and we can return to being keyboard warriors on here. (Plus, for me at least, love for PNG exceeds any definition of rationality)

If it's not about that try? Sorry, carry on.

It's about the great, broad ring of silence around the moment of controversy, not the moment itself. So all outsiders see (because this is the same on Twitter and other social media) is relentless negativity, accusations of corruption and claims that the game's doomed.

Then just the occasional tiny hint that the spectacle may have been worth watching.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, JimBronco said:

No games until Friday now 😒

Time to catch up on the Clive Sullivan and Women of Steel documentaries, plus the PDRL games from the last few days.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

We are now officially half way through the world cup. (Technically we were half way through this game)

Is that the men's competition?

If so, we still have more games ahead of us that behind us with the other comps.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It's about the great, broad ring of silence around the moment of controversy, not the moment itself. So all outsiders see (because this is the same on Twitter and other social media) is relentless negativity, accusations of corruption and claims that the game's doomed.

Then just the occasional tiny hint that the spectacle may have been worth watching.

Fair point. Don't do social media: I perceive it as something for people either much older or much younger than me.

Do people on Twitter or  Facebook (or Instagram or Snapchat or whatever [please insert other social media platforms I'm ignorant of]) not love PNG?

If they don't, they're idiots.

Edited by Stuff Smith
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Fair point. Don't do social media: I perceive it as something for people either much older or much younger than me.

Do people on Twitter or  Facebook (or Instagram or Snapchat or whatever [please insert other social media platforms I'm ignorant of]) not love PNG?

You are on social media posting you don't do social media.

Just because this site isn't one of the big hitters doesn't mean it isn't the same media.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

A very enjoyable game overall.  One of the best of the competition so far.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Padge said:

You are on social media posting you don't do social media.

Just because this site isn't one of the big hitters doesn't mean it isn't the same media.

Is this forum social media? Really? Shouldn't there be videos and stuff?

Blimey, amazing. Consider me educated!

I'll go back in my box now.

Edited by Stuff Smith
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stuff Smith said:

Is this forum social media? Really?

Blimey, amazing.

Consider me educated!

Yep, it certainly is.

• Haha 1

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Games involving the Kumuls are always good fun to watch. And the Kukis always give it a go too. There is perhaps a bit more freedom in the way these teams play.

• Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

7 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Point 1: this forum is social media. You do it. "It" being social media.

Point 2: It's not that the wider public (on other social media platforms) dislike PNG; it's the same empty vessels making a big noise whenever there's a negative to accentuate, who go completely missing when there are positives to praise. It is just like this forum, only with occasional and inconvenient non-fans volunteering their opinion that what they are watching is amazing and brilliant.

There are idiots on the internet. Millions of them. But there are also organisations whose job it is to track trends, see expressions of interest and know how to filter out most of the static. They are the people who potential investors, broadcasters, social commentators etc. check in on to see what's interesting people and what's worth their time and money. I'm sure there are many webcrawlers logging activity on all RL sites as well as Twitter etc. and what they will overwhelmingly see is a desperate need to amplify the worst in anything and everything.

About now. someone will put forward an argument along the lines of "Oh, so we should pretend to be positive about everything, even when the game's doomed and everything's rubbish, eh? Eh? Eh?" Which just shows a fundamental (and usually deliberate) misreading of everything.

If you want the sport you claim to love to be successful, take a moment to praise the good bits and tell people about them. If nothing else, it'll add credibility to your more realistic criticisms.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm not sure whats going on in this thread tbh, but that was another very good game and hugely enjoyable evening. 

Of course I'd like big crowds and a fiery atmosphere, but I do also enjoy a relaxed game, chilling with friends and family chatting and watching the Rugby, appreciating both sides. 

Great stuff. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Point 1: this forum is social media. You do it. "It" being social media.

Point 2: It's not that the wider public (on other social media platforms) dislike PNG; it's the same empty vessels making a big noise whenever there's a negative to accentuate, who go completely missing when there are positives to praise. It is just like this forum, only with occasional and inconvenient non-fans volunteering their opinion that what they are watching is amazing and brilliant.

There are idiots on the internet. Millions of them. But there are also organisations whose job it is to track trends, see expressions of interest and know how to filter out most of the static. They are the people who potential investors, broadcasters, social commentators etc. check in on to see what's interesting people and what's worth their time and money. I'm sure there are many webcrawlers logging activity on all RL sites as well as Twitter etc. and what they will overwhelmingly see is a desperate need to amplify the worst in anything and everything.

About now. someone will put forward an argument along the lines of "Oh, so we should pretend to be positive about everything, even when the game's doomed and everything's rubbish, eh? Eh? Eh?" Which just shows a fundamental (and usually deliberate) misreading of everything.

If you want the sport you claim to love to be successful, take a moment to praise the good bits and tell people about them. If nothing else, it'll add credibility to your more realistic criticisms.

Mr Futtocks that is a cracking post, it should be compulsory for anyone wanting to post anything else on here from this moment on to sign they have read it and understand it.

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Where did that come from? 

Aimed at me?

Sorry. That's beyond harsh.

You can jump. And so can Padge.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Aimed at me?

It is aimed at all the people who were like Trappist monks 'til there was a moment of controversy, then piled on with competitive outrage and accusations, before subsiding once again to almost total muteness when there were good things happening. If you were one of those, give your head a wobble. If not, ignore it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Stuff Smith said:

Aimed at me?

Whoa!!! all I pointed out is that you are posting on social media, a lot of people post in a lot of places without realising what they are using, they think of social media as the big guns such as face book.

An interactive forum with other people is social media.