Tuesday 25 October: PNG vs Cook Islands KO 19:30 BST

Entertaining game

• Like 1

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

1 minute ago, JimBronco said:

Are you not allowed to call it 'man of the match' anymore? It's now 'player of the match'. Think they've done the same in football. 

It's just easier isn't it.  We have a men's competition (men), a women's competition (women) and a wheelchair competition (mixed) so player of the match is the appropriate description. 

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Are you not allowed to call it 'man of the match' anymore? It's now 'player of the match'. Think they've done the same in football. 

Makes it easier for commentators when they get used to it as it doesn't matter if they are commentating on a women's or man's game, its just the player. What's the problem.

• Like 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, Dunbar said:

I don't understand how everyone would be instantly posting on an incident if we weren't watching it?

I wonder why there'd be no appreciative posts for huge chunks of a very entertaining game, but an instant pile-on of competitive rage and despair as soon as there was something to rage against.

No, hang on, I don't wonder at all. What I do wonder is why Rugby union trolls bother, because they aren't even remotely necessary.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Enjoyable game (again).

• Like 3

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

6 minutes ago, JimBronco said:

It hasn't been banned; they've chosen to use a different term for very sound reasons. The "Woke Gestapo" were not involved.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

I wonder why there'd be no appreciative posts for huge chunks of a very entertaining game, but an instant pile-on of competitive rage and despair as soon as there was something to rage against.

No, hang on, I don't wonder at all. What I do wonder is why Rugby union trolls bother, because they aren't even remotely necessary.

I was just speaking for myself.  The better the game, the less I post typically cause I am just enjoying the game.  Of course if something big happens (and it causes a break in play like a video ref try decision or a sin bin) then I will post.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

It hasn't been banned; they've chosen to use a different term. The "Woke Gestapo" were not involved.

Ive heard commentators say man of the match . As far as Im aware theyve not been arrested

3 minutes ago, Padge said:

Makes it easier for commentators when they get used to it as it doesn't matter if they are commentating on a women's or man's game, its just the player. What's the problem.

No problem. Does make sense to state player of the match. Just so used to hearing man of the match over all these years. 

1 minute ago, gogledd said:

Everybody writing off a Wales win against PNG....but hope is still alive! Wales v England in the QFs is still possible.

Can't knock your optimism, fair play.

• Like 2

No problem. Does make sense to state player of the match. Just so used to hearing man of the match over all these years. 

S4C use "Seren y Gêm" (Star of the Game) which I've always found endearing.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gogledd said:

Everybody writing off a Wales win against PNG....but hope is still alive! Wales v England in the QFs is still possible.

Assuming Tonga beat Cook Islands, I think that would need Wales to win by 22 points.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Futtocks, is this about the controversial Cook Islands try?

Because, if it is, I think it's perfectly reasonable for Rugby League fans to comment on a controversial decision in a televised Rugby League game.

Especially when the game stops and we see seemingly endless replays of it. 

So, for a couple of minutes, our attention isn't directly on the game and we can return to being keyboard warriors on here. (Plus, for me at least, the love for PNG exceeds any definition of rationality)

If it's not about that try? Sorry, carry on.

Edited by Stuff Smith
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Sounds like something you'd give for a u10s match!

Like those metal stars they used to hand out when I was in the Cubs? 🙂

I enjoyed the game. In my opinion, PNG were much better than Cook Islands, who gave too many " oh, 'ere you go. You have a go "  passes. 

Don't think PNG will trouble England too much, though. England just more creative but do need to clean up their act at the PTB. 

Correct to assume it will be England v PNG?