Derek - Marketing genius?

Sorry, another thread on this, but....

Is this guy a genius?

From my view as a prior 'no opinion' of the Leigh club, the rebrand thing was so tacky and badly executed.

Then on social media, the guy seems to be tweeting all sorts of random, poorly spelled stuff.

But...

All over the World Cup on TV, this is the club name I keep hearing repeated. To the point where its getting annoying (yes, im aware they have branded themselves as the Leopards).

On this website, endless positive articles and the club name added to headlines of wider articles, see the rivals round article today (again, yes im aware they will be playing in Super League, as the Leopards).

Apart from on this forum, in the media, it seems like everyone is shouting about this in a positive way, or at least giving them airtime / column inches.

Has Derek paid off the TotalRL writing staff? the TV commentators? 🤔 Or has he, despite my reluctance to admit it, actually pulled off a marketing masterstroke, whether by design, or execution.

Is hype, not substance the way to go in drawing attention to a club these days?

Im actually baffled and questioning my own existence here 🤔🤣

Plenty of people have been talking g about the goings on in No 10 over the last few weeks as well.  It doesn't mean its a good thing! 

Most of the stuff ive seen regarding Leigh has been extracting the urine rather than sheding a positive light on them.  

Oh and weeks after this supposed rebrand they don't seem to have even settled on a logo yet.  That's terrible marketing for any new brand.  Compare it to what was done yesterday regarding the new XFL American football league where the 8 new teams have been revealed. Slick reveals, brands and logos locked in,  merch available straight away. Leighs has been tin pot and Degsy mouthing off all over twitter is embarrasing 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, gnidir said:

Sorry, another thread on this, but....

Is this guy a genius?

From my view as a prior 'no opinion' of the Leigh club, the rebrand thing was so tacky and badly executed.

Then on social media, the guy seems to be tweeting all sorts of random, poorly spelled stuff.

But...

All over the World Cup on TV, this is the club name I keep hearing repeated. To the point where its getting annoying (yes, im aware they have branded themselves as the Leopards).

On this website, endless positive articles and the club name added to headlines of wider articles, see the rivals round article today (again, yes im aware they will be playing in Super League, as the Leopards).

Apart from on this forum, in the media, it seems like everyone is shouting about this in a positive way, or at least giving them airtime / column inches.

Has Derek paid off the TotalRL writing staff? the TV commentators? 🤔 Or has he, despite my reluctance to admit it, actually pulled off a marketing masterstroke, whether by design, or execution.

Is hype, not substance the way to go in drawing attention to a club these days?

Im actually baffled and questioning my own existence here 🤔🤣

Good one Derek 👍 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, gnidir said:

Has Derek paid off the TotalRL writing staff?

It still says 'Leigh Centurions' in the Championship forum menu, so probably not. 

Edited by Dave W

34 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Plenty of people have been talking g about the goings on in No 10 over the last few weeks as well.  It doesn't mean its a good thing! 

Most of the stuff ive seen regarding Leigh has been extracting the urine rather than sheding a positive light on them.  

Oh and weeks after this supposed rebrand they don't seem to have even settled on a logo yet.  That's terrible marketing for any new brand.  Compare it to what was done yesterday regarding the new XFL American football league where the 8 new teams have been revealed. Slick reveals, brands and logos locked in,  merch available straight away. Leighs has been tin pot and Degsy mouthing off all over twitter is embarrasing 

Yep I can see exactly what you mean, BUT I would bet that those who support the sad existance of a big city club such as Bradford who have got by on the generosity of others (having a whip round) and some 'minor' political manoeuvres by the games authorities would just love to be embarrased by a owner who puts his money where his mouth is for the benefit of his club.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yep I can see exactly what you mean, BUT I would bet that those who support the sad existance of a big city club such as Bradford who have got by on the generosity of others (having a whip round) and some 'minor' political manoeuvres by the games authorities would just love to be embarrased by a owner who puts his money where his mouth is for the benefit of his club.

My post was about Leigh why mention Bradford  what on earth have they  got to do with what I've stated? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And yet Leigh probably get lower, or similar crowds to Bradford.

Possibly the worst ROI you could think of.

But hey, the guys got passion right? Plus, how many businesses have I built up in the north of England? He's considerably richer than me!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

My post was about Leigh why mention Bradford  what on earth have they  got to do with what I've stated? 

Your post was derogatory to both Leigh and especially Mr Beaumont, I was merely suggesting that Bradford for all their ills would love a Derek Beaumont in their ranks, even if they thought he was an embarrassment.

33 minutes ago, Damien said:

It just takes you to a site that still has Leigh Centurions branding and which hasnt been updated for a month 😂

You don't hurry perfection.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Damien said:

It just takes you to a site that still has Leigh Centurions branding and which hasnt been updated for a month 😂

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

You don't hurry perfection.

And if you both would care to listen and look at the news you would realise that the design has not been finalised yet, yes there should be criticism that it was not all in place at the launch but it was shoved through for very good reason, but don't let that bother you both, I am sure your lives would be less complete without having something to moan about where Leigh is concerned.

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Which was?

A little matter of everything else that was going on in the world of RL for the next month, and the nessacity to expose the new additions to the club for the fans, yes I will agree that it should have been done differently, but to me as a fan I am overjoyed that the shirt and logo have not been finalised, and really that is all that matters satisfy their paying public first and foremost they are the target market.

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And if you both would care to listen and look at the news you would realise that the design has not been finalised yet, yes there should be criticism that it was not all in place at the launch but it was shoved through for very good reason, but don't let that bother you both, I am sure your lives would be less complete without having something to moan about where Leigh is concerned.

What news? where has it been stated that the branding isn't finalised?

What's this very good reason it was half arsed?

Anyway the fact that it was rushed through and there was no web presence (even though the brand was digital ready apparently) answers the OP's question.

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

A little matter of everything else that was going on in the world of RL for the next month, and the nessacity to expose the new additions to the club for the fans, yes I will agree that it should have been done differently, but to me as a fan I am overjoyed that the shirt and logo have not been finalised, and really that is all that matters satisfy their paying public first and foremost they are the target market.

Where have you heard that the logo hasn't been finalised, because all those colourful variations that he is posting on Twitter are early prototypes he has confirmed?

It is also bizarre that your club doesn't actually have a live website. Surely that doesn't fill you with confidence?

22 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Stop being so precious Harry. To rename as a different club and not update your website is just shoddy and amateurish.

Lets stop with the nonsense about the design not being finalised too. It was finalised, hence the big announcement, and you don't do that otherwise. They are now just backtracking to placate fans and to cover the fact they have done a botch job and everything isn't in place.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not being funny but the world cup has been known about for at least a year... 

it is really not hard to get all this stuff sorted out and ready to go, with working product etc within a short space of time (and many people manage this)... this is totally cobbled together in a rush and not thought out at all.. and there is not excuse except maybe that he only thought about doing this a week or so ago because any longer and he could have got most of this ironed out.. (even the bloody images on the shirt correct!)... 

unless this is all a big joke and the real launch is after the world cup.... which is worse to be fair.. 

Edited by RP London

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Stop being so precious Harry. To rename as a different club and not update your website is just shoddy and amateurish.

Lets stop with the nonsense about the design not being finalised too. It was finalised, hence the big announcement, and you don't do that otherwise. They are now just backtracking to placate fans and to cover the fact they have done a botch job and everything isn't in place.

it also takes all of about 5 minutes... 

I managed to update a logo and change a colour scheme on ours in about 30 seconds once we had decided to do it, and i managed to time it to the second that the show started that we were launching the new products that required the change.. just by updating it on my phone ffs!!

• Like 1