Fri 18 Nov: Wheelchair World Cup Final: France v England KO 7.30pm

Who will win?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• France
    • England

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/11/22 at 20:00

1 minute ago, Padge said:

You seem to fail to understand how vindictive the RFU are about the use of the word rugby by Ruby League. The minute it gets its head above the local no sales press they want to kill it.

100 per cent.

One of the most intense - and enjoyable - games I’ve ever had the pleasure of attending. It had absolutely everything. Fantastic atmosphere too. Loved how the early French penalty was taken to silence but by the second half everyone had got in to it and in true RL fashion was trying to put the kicker off.

That French liner though…!

• Like 6

Mentioned just now, as well as the PDRL World Cup, on Channel 4's The Last Leg.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel privileged to have been there tonight. The venue, the atmosphere, the game, the French loon and the win. It must’ve been so emotional for the players to see the place packed out and both sides served up an absolute treat. 

Here’s to the the future of the sport. 

• Like 6

Just got back from Manchester, my first wheelchair game and it was a thriller. Great venue, great crowd, great atmosphere and 2 great teams who went at it non stop for 80 minutes. Yes, it really was that great.

The French referee was appauling throughout giving everything against England, some fans got on his back in the 2nd half and he completely lost it in the last 15, I have never seen anything like it. The 5th official came on at one point and spoke directly to him.

Delighted I got to finally see England Rugby League win a world cup in my lifetime, it may not happen again so a special evening.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Whippet13 said:

Just got back from Manchester, my first wheelchair game and it was a thriller. Great venue, great crowd, great atmosphere and 2 great teams who went at it non stop for 80 minutes. Yes, it really was that great.

The French referee was appauling throughout giving everything against England, some fans got on his back in the 2nd half and he completely lost it in the last 15, I have never seen anything like it. The 5th official came on at one point and spoke directly to him.

Delighted I got to finally see England Rugby League win a world cup in my lifetime, it may not happen again so a special evening.

I watch many sports and have done for 30+ years and I’ve never seen anything like it. What a disgraceful bloke he was. He shouid not be allowed near the sport again. I thought he was really disrespectful to both sets of players because they don’t deserve antics like that, at a time when they’re finally in the spotlight and their sport is being lauded. 

• Like 1

As I've probably already indicated, I'm not averse to criticising RL where I feel it's warranted. It makes lots of predicable and avoidable mistakes.

But by the same token of honesty, this was a genuine fantastic event - by any comparison you might want to think of. It looked for all the world like a proper important occasion.

Huge kudos to everyone involved and just shows you what can happen if you believe in something. (I don't include myself in that, I'm a moaning git) 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

One of the most intense - and enjoyable - games I’ve ever had the pleasure of attending. It had absolutely everything. Fantastic atmosphere too. Loved how the early French penalty was taken to silence but by the second half everyone had got in to it and in true RL fashion was trying to put the kicker off.

That French liner though…!

A great cheer too when they missed with their final penalty attempt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WN83 said:

I watch many sports and have done for 30+ years and I’ve never seen anything like it. What a disgraceful bloke he was. He shouid not be allowed near the sport again. I thought he was really disrespectful to both sets of players because they don’t deserve antics like that, at a time when they’re finally in the spotlight and their sport is being lauded. 

I doubt he'll be officiating at another WC game ever, it added to the entertainment in the end but he could have robbed England of the WC.

He was the defending ref but was still calling decisions against Englands attack. I think even the attacking Aussie ref on the other side got fed up with him in the end and was giving borderline decisions to England, including awarding our penultimate try when the French ref was saying it was no try.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

I doubt he'll be officiating at another WC game ever, it added to the entertainment in the end but he could have robbed England of the WC.

He was the defending ref but was still calling decisions against Englands attack. I think even the attacking Aussie ref on the other side got fed up with him in the end and was giving borderline decisions to England, including awarding our penultimate try when the French ref was saying it was no try.

Any idea why he was saying no try? Seemed clear as day.

1 minute ago, Whippet13 said:

I couldn't see anything contentious about that try whatsoever. He really did seem to just lose the plot and/or actual bias. The craziest thing I've ever seen on a rugby pitch I think.

I think Wheelchair RL's still a fair way off from having officials that are anything other than volunteer amateurs.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

As I've probably already indicated, I'm not averse to criticising RL where I feel it's warranted. It makes lots of predicable and avoidable mistakes.

But by the same token of honesty, this was a genuine fantastic event - by any comparison you might want to think of. It looked for all the world like a proper important occasion.

Huge kudos to everyone involved and just shows you what can happen if you believe in something. (I don't include myself in that, I'm a moaning git) 

Also, the BBC presentation of it was first class, although I think they should just use Wheelchair RL pundits next time - nothing against JJB and Amor but the wheelchair guys have a better grasp of that form of the game. The RFL should be arranging internationals and cutting a deal with the BBC ASAP to show England, some of the SL games and the Celtic Cup. It'll pay for itself in increased participation and funding. It ticks massive boxes for funding, assuming the criteria haven't changed since I was doing fund applications for clubs/leagues etc.

Also, Clare Balding is a legend.

• Like 5

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 minutes ago, tim2 said:

It ticks massive boxes for funding

It misses out on disability sport funding, because it isn't exclusively for disabled athletes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

It misses out on disability sport funding, because it isn't exclusively for disabled athletes.

I would say it’s quite possibly the most inclusive sport in the world in that sense. All genders, all abilities sharing one pitch. And yet you’re absolutely correct that it somehow fails to tick the right boxes!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I think Wheelchair RL's still a fair way off from having officials that are anything other than volunteer amateurs.

I'm not sure that's strictly true, as I think they'll have been paid for tonight. They aren't full-time, obviously, but they will have reffed Wheelchair SL (or equivalent) and have officiated high level community or pro running games as well. 

The contentious stuff is pretty similar to the real game - strip or knock on, illegal contact or not, tackle complete before a try. And it's happening super fast, with no video ref. I wonder if they'll get video ref in 2025?

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"