Hurricanes new ground

49 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Although for the first year it will the warm up pitch, I am optimistically thinking that 2024 will be the main stadium, which will be a fantastic venue for League 1! However, as mentioned above, the area is without much character with poor public transport links - it's always been that way; even when we went to see the AAAs when I was a kid we drove. However off the M42 where they've been this year train links were even worse.

For me however, from where I'm based, a 15min drive last season turns into a 45 min drive this. Bearing in mind I am a "local" supporter, walking to and from stations and getting the trains would be 2 hours each way. On a Sunday I can do Halliwell Jones in 3!

So, to be fair, it makes the travel down the M6 a lot nearer for most away fans which is really good. Although 2022 was fun, I might find attending as many home games a bit trickier this coming season. I hope they do move up to the main park in 2024, as that will be far too tempting to stay away for!

Difficult to see where else they could go though. About the only other option (and I've got no idea if they explored it, and assuming we're ruling out Villa Park and St Andrews as a bit too aspirational) would be Moseley, which is within walking distance of a station (Yardley Wood) but otherwise still in the outer badlands comparatively. 

As I'm sure you know, Perry Barr has got good bits and worse bits, and tbh the Alex sort of straddles the two. It's just the North Birmingham grey wilderness really. But the park's quite nice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

The field next door by the looks of it. I'm not sure how that will work unless they erect a temporary stand but looking at it that would have to be on the running track which I'd imagine is a no go. 

Deck chairs on the athletics track?

Great to see them getting this announced.

It might be very temporary first season on the warm up area but come 2024 they'll have a modern stadium. Well done to the Hurricanes for this and great to see further investment in rugby league!

• Like 8

14 hours ago, iffleyox said:

Difficult to see where else they could go though. About the only other option (and I've got no idea if they explored it, and assuming we're ruling out Villa Park and St Andrews as a bit too aspirational) would be Moseley, which is within walking distance of a station (Yardley Wood) but otherwise still in the outer badlands comparatively. 

As I'm sure you know, Perry Barr has got good bits and worse bits, and tbh the Alex sort of straddles the two. It's just the North Birmingham grey wilderness really. But the park's quite nice.

Moseley(or rather Billesley)  is not the greatest ground really and barely a step up I think. And another bit of a wilderness. It's not Moseley proper (but I am a bit biased having spent a lot of my twenties living and drinking in Moseley 🙂 ).

No, fair play to hurricanes. I'll definitely be going to a few matches. 

Edited by thebrewxi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thebrewxi said:

Moseley(or rather Billesley)  is not the greatest ground really and barely a step up I think. And another bit of a wilderness. Not Moseley proper (but I am a bit biased having spent a lot of my twenties living and drinking there 🙂 ).

No fair play to hurricanes. I'll definitely be going to a few matches. 

Think Moseley was looked at but ultimately the Alexander move is supported by Birmingham City Council which is a big plus. 

Credit has to go to Alan Robinson who had the vision to get this off the ground. He's not involved any more but he started the discussions off some time ago. The Midlands has lots of potential and I hope the current owners will be in for the long haul. 

For me I was involved in the Bears so of course I'd prefer professional RL still to be played in Coventry. It's a shame it didn't work out but with funding cuts, an unsupportive landlord, covid and no other local options it sadly became untenable. The Bears are still around though and the aim is build a strong community focused club again. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, langpark said:

What an anti-climax. Looks like no seating or terrace whatsoever. Standing only at ground level does not sound like good news at all to me.

The good news is this arrangement is only for one season and then the Hurricanes will move into the revamped main stadium. Sounds like a right result. 👊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Think Moseley was looked at but ultimately the Alexander move is supported by Birmingham City Council which is a big plus. 

Credit has to go to Alan Robinson who had the vision to get this off the ground. He's not involved any more but he started the discussions off some time ago. The Midlands has lots of potential and I hope the current owners will be in for the long haul. 

For me I was involved in the Bears so of course I'd prefer professional RL still to be played in Coventry. It's a shame it didn't work out but with funding cuts, an unsupportive landlord, covid and no other local options it sadly became untenable. The Bears are still around though and the aim is build a strong community focused club again. 

I heard about the "unsupportive landlord" from a chap I was talking to at a game; his old man is involved in the youth setup at the Bears. He implied it was some old union boys that weren't happy with the Bears playing at the butts. Such a shame if true. 

This is excellent news for me, a 20 minute bus ride away. I’ll definitely go to a few games this season. Let’s hope they can put down some permanent roots here and build the club and fan base in the longer term. It’s great for Birmingham to finally have a rugby league club! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ChrisH said:

This is excellent news for me, a 20 minute bus ride away. I’ll definitely go to a few games this season. Let’s hope they can put down some permanent roots here and build the club and fan base in the longer term. It’s great for Birmingham to finally have a rugby league club! 

Another Rugby league club

Birmingham Bulldogs have been playing for about 30 years in Birmingham

• Like 9

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, ChrisH said:

I guessed there would be other RL clubs in the Birmingham area but as far as I’m aware this is the first time we’ve had a club in the third tier of the game. 

Don't forget they are not a Birmingham club. They are a midlands club!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChristianB said:

Really pleased for everyone involved with the Hurricanes. The future is bright, for sure.

That said, Cornwall RLFC are going to spoil the party on the 19th of February. After all, you beat us at our first home match so it's only fair! 😉

@ChristianB what has been achieved in Cornwall is amazing and we all love you for it , however ,not a prayer mate ..but looking forward to the game, our weekend in Falmouth / Penryn  and the return match in July (sod the rugby its all all about the pasties ) ..and obviously 4 points for the Cains ...😆

Seriously though, lots written about League 1 and its future but until those in charge give the likes of Hurricanes and Cornwall , both of whom have had  a solid first year ,the chance to grow naturally, without assuming that within months they will be challenging for a place in SL , then we are forever doomed to be an M62 sport ..

Edited by Rach
  • Like 6

I hope they do well, its an excellent spring board for RL in the Midlands, and a good way to get RL in the 2nd Largest City in the UK, 

One season on the training pitch, then onwards and upwards from there when they move into the full stadium, which will be good to see festivals of Rugby League, and the likes... get local kids involved, and then an LDRL, Womens etc... 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

Warm-up

embarassing

for that they left Coventry

They didnt leave. They were driven out of Coventry.

A combination of a greedy ru club and an apethic council.

Birmingham Council have done more in 12 months than Coventry did in 24 years.

• Like 9

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

On 07/01/2023 at 07:54, thebrewxi said:

I heard about the "unsupportive landlord" from a chap I was talking to at a game; his old man is involved in the youth setup at the Bears. He implied it was some old union boys that weren't happy with the Bears playing at the butts. Such a shame if true. 

Some things never change , do they?

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

Birmingham Council have done more in 12 months than Coventry did in 24 years.

Birmingham City Council are quite proactive at this sort of thing. They were a massive help when Moseley lost the Reddings and the University move wasn't working out. Finest city in the world... I never warmed to going to watch Bears (I had Oxford on my doorstep initially, and obviously as a Mose fan I struggle to support anything with 'Coventry' in the name) but will try and make it up for Hurricanes. I've not watched an RL match in person since before the first lockdown astonishingly.*

*admittedly I've got young kids now, but life has really got in the way with a vengeance. I've not used my Mose season ticket yet this season!

4 hours ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

Some things never change , do they?

No, it never changes but we keep falling for it. 

15 minutes ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

We do Irish, but we shouldn’t. We should raise merry hell at each and every perceived slight.

Rugby League - the Prince Harry of sport.

No, thanks.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"