Farnworth to Redcliffe Dolphins

Herbie has been really strong at Centre, and would love him to stay there. Hopefully its not a case of a player wanting a positional switch as a personal preference, but a switch that ultimately doesn't lead to the same levels of impact he has had as a centre.

I know he played FB as a junior. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

9 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Herbie has been really strong at Centre, and would love him to stay there. Hopefully its not a case of a player wanting a positional switch as a personal preference, but a switch that ultimately doesn't lead to the same levels of impact he has had as a centre.

I know he played FB as a junior. 

From a purely selfish England perspective he offers much more from centre as it is a position where we are really weak.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

From a purely selfish England perspective he offers much more from centre as it is a position where we are really weak.

He does. and thats one of the reasons i want him to stay at centre. But if everything goes to plan perfectly, we could have Dom Young as a champion centre, alongside a fit and healthy Harry Newman, Herbie at FB and Welsby into the halves. Which wouldn't be too bad.

Sure Wayne Bennett will have some influence on Herbie's best position.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

When we see club full backs turning out for the Kangaroos at centre (Mitchell, Trbojevic etc.) it shows that quality players can make these positional moves easily enough.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Not sure that’s a good move,the Dolphins are in for a very tough few years.

I think there'll be a few 2023 players who will be let go as more signings like Herbie are made.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I think there'll be a few 2023 players who will be let go as more signings like Herbie are made.

This signing shows that the tide could be turning for the Dolphins and probably sooner than a lot of us thought.

Herbie is a big scalp and will give other top-flight players more confidence to sign with the club. Rumours already that Flegler, the Broncos` prop, could be next.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

He really isn't in my opinion ...I'd say Newman offers a lot more in terms of creative plays and is at least as good in defence 

Newman has huge ability but until he can start putting long consistent runs of games together you can’t really put him above Farnworth who at this stage of their careers is superior,let’s hope they both stay fit & continue to develop as along with the consistent Percival & possibly Wardle if he kicks on at Wigan we now have some genuine  depth at what has been for decades our weakest position at Test level.

I am a huge fan of Harry Newman and I think it is a disgrace that Percival hasn't been an England regular for the last 5 or 6 years... in particular the days when Bateman was selected in the centre. 

But Farnworth is the standout here.  He has great footwork like Newman and toughness like Percival but what sets him apart is his size.  He is 6'3" and almost 17 stone.  For a fast athletic back, to have that size is so critical.  So many times we have been terrorised by the big Aussie centres over the years, Meninga, Miles, Inglis et al.  Nice to have one of our own now.

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Newman has huge ability but until he can start putting long consistent runs of games together you can’t really put him above Farnworth who at this stage of their careers is superior,let’s hope they both stay fit & continue to develop as along with the consistent Percival & possibly Wardle if he kicks on at Wigan we now have some genuine  depth at what has been for decades our weakest position at Test level.

Agree about Newman's injury proneness obviously ...if he is fit and firing then don't think there is a comparison in d or attack

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am a huge fan of Harry Newman and I think it is a disgrace that Percival hasn't been an England regular for the last 5 or 6 years... in particular the days when Bateman was selected in the centre. 

But Farnworth is the standout here.  He has great footwork like Newman and toughness like Percival but what sets him apart is his size.  He is 6'3" and almost 17 stone.  For a fast athletic back, to have that size is so critical.  So many times we have been terrorised by the big Aussie centres over the years, Meninga, Miles, Inglis et al.  Nice to have one of our own now.

And unlike the other two English centres he’s getting compared to he has proven form at Test level.

For years we’ve been crying out for a big,skillfull centre to match up against the Southern Hemisphere nations & when we get one it seems some posters want to belittle his talents.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Bateman has only ever been a fill-in at centre, both for England and Wigan, he doesnt like playing there.

In 2018 v NZ Connor and Gildart were the centres. In 2019 we had the GB fiasco where it was Gildart, Connor, Hardaker and Hughes - I think Percival may have been injured both years, pretty sure he was in at least one from memory.

England lost 2020 and 2021 due to Covid and Percival was injured for the WC last year.

If fit, I'm sure Percival would have been first choice centre for England last year and will be this autumn - if we play anyone.

Edited by Whippet13

23 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Agree about Newman's injury proneness obviously ...if he is fit and firing then don't think there is a comparison in d or attack

Your right,Farnworth is superior in both departments at this stage of their careers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

And unlike the other two English centres he’s getting compared to he has proven form at Test level.

For years we’ve been crying out for a big,skillfull centre to match up against the Southern Hemisphere nations & when we get one it seems some posters want to belittle his talents.

Who's belittling his talents, having an opinion that another player is better isn't belittling now is it.

I think Newman has the potential to be better, and Percival his equal. But I can see why someone would think Farnworth is better, though also I think anyone claiming he's "way better" than both is wrong.

15 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Your right,Farnworth is superior in both departments at this stage of their careers.

Percival is one of those steady SL players that you can count on and probably play anywhere but he is someway off what someone like Farnworth can offer at international level. Farnworth is bigger, 3 stones heavier and faster with better footwork. 

People still talk about Newman as potential and this is still where he is at. He has heaps of talent but needs to stay injury free before we can see that potential is fulfilled.

As others have said its all opinions but for me at the moment it's Farnworth as a shoe in as one England centre and a let's see for the other centre position.

• Like 1