IMG Grading Unveiled

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Essentially so minor , it wasn't even worth bothering with , and yet already we've seen people thinking of ways to cheat the system 

Of course they are, because its interesting to them to do so. 

It doesn't make a difference anyway because the 2021 Census figures are in and the council areas aren't changing from now.

3 minutes ago, redjonn said:

mind you it is not an inconsequential percentage... i.e. 7.5%, which is not to be sneezed at...

Although I guess I'm bias as given our geographical footprint, history etc and that isn't going to change in the mid term I don't see how it drives clubs with regard to that metric.  As is often said on this thread the criteria may or can change over the course, so given that have it when its meaningful, i.e. if and if ever when we are looking to new geographical horizons. and their are multiple candidates.

Which is as I put earlier , it matters if you are starting from scratch with new clubs from new area's, but has no value with current ones , not forgetting the angst on here when a club in Manchester was refused admission due to other clubs in Manchester objecting ( unfairly IMO ) , in theory this grading would have gone in favour of that refusal 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Which is as I put earlier , it matters if you are starting from scratch with new clubs from new area's, but has no value with current ones , not forgetting the angst on here when a club in Manchester was refused admission due to other clubs in Manchester objecting ( unfairly IMO ) , in theory this grading would have gone in favour of that refusal 

Incidentally it wouldn't as they are in a different local council area, but I take your point.

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Nipping out for a beer , I'll give my final comment on the catchment grading process later , not time to compose it now 

Adding beer into the consideration makes for an interesting response 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

For me it is distasteful that clubs that were formed 140 years ago by pioneers who then a few years later took the massive risk of leaving the RFU to form our sport should potentially be punished due to their location , quite possibly by a system designed by people who have never even watched a game of RL 

Why should Wigan have their score reduced because of Leigh ? , It is obvious that Wigan draw more support from the total Wigan borough than Leigh , it should have no consequence 

I disagree with any grading system , but location should not and never be a part of any grading system whatsoever IMO 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

For me its the only pure "outside influence" based category to the grading. Clubs can't control it as you say, but its there as an indicator that may perhaps tip 1 club into the A Grade

For doing nothing other than being advantageous of a geographical position?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No, for having unfettered access to a larger audience.

Any business knows that potential doesn’t pay bills just look at Leeds awful crowds as a % of catchment area. If we are to truly grow in new areas it must be on the tails of the premiership soccer clubs ie Newcastle Utd RLFC or Everton or City etc

This is why our becoming a part of sporting club Man U is less painful in 2024

Edited by sweaty craiq

40 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Any business knows that potential doesn’t pay bills just look at Leeds awful crowds as a % of catchment area. If we are to truly grow in new areas it must be on the tails of the premiership soccer clubs ie Newcastle Utd RLFC or Everton or City etc

Said it many times, the marketing depth at the Rhinos are the worst performers of SL (if not all the clubs) with the ratio of bodies per capita they get through the turnstiles.

Now that would be an interesting part of the 'catchment criteria' re % should IMG include that.

18 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Be me to it as I was writing.

I think it would be a much better way to do things and a lot fairer, baring in mind that 99% of teams won't be relocating to a different area anytime soon they are stuck with what they have so it would be better to encourage them to engage with the community and get bums on seats. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Leeds crowds are awful yes, and still easily the best attended in the League.

Which proves the point.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

This criteria would have actually gone in favour of Manchester as under this criteria the Manchester City Council area has a population of 552k and there is no other team, so they would have got full marks for catchment.

• Like 3

My approach to this would be to ask ourselves how do we make the most of everyone’s potential. You can measure lots of things, but one measure I come back to is which teams have I seen at Wembley or winning the league in my 40 years (and taking a look at the relevant Wembley crowd), because that gives us a long list of potentially great RL clubs. With that list, I would ask myself what can be done to maximise ALL of their revenues/businesses. And that should be the test. For Fev, for Halifax, for Oldham, for Bradford, for London, the question should always be “how can we unleash the potential we know is there?” 

A survival of the current fittest entirely fails to take proper account of our game as a community game. Our communities are our greatest asset. You should always build on your strengths. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

For Fev, for Halifax, for Oldham, for Bradford, for London, the question should always be “how can we unleash the potential we know is there?” 

A survival of the current fittest entirely fails to take proper account of our game as a community game. Our communities are our greatest asset. You should always build on your strengths. 

You are so right. Mike Ford has stated that at Oldham the number one priority is to get the youngsters of Oldham wanting to play for the town. To this end the club is looking to revitalise the youth town teams. At a recent open day we had 250 kids turn up to try out. Listen to to the latest 5 live rugby league podcast with Fordy as the guest. Very insightful.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0g0j6sx

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Anyway this is what my sport is all about 

image.jpeg.cd0ddf4bfb35682df54049da20077d9a.jpeg

Covered by the Foundation criteria

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)