North Wales Crusaders

Peter Winthorpe

19 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It was a hard watch in the main . We got out of jail in the end but geez thereā€™s a lot where weā€™re way offĀ 

Our attack is way off where it needs to be mate, last tackle options are awful

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It was a hard watch in the main . We got out of jail in the end but geez thereā€™s a lot where weā€™re way offĀ 

Good to realise that while we still get the win.

The difference the win makes over a narrow loss is immense for morale. As Barrow.

What sort of crowd made it down given all the other competition.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, townie88 said:

Credit where its due. We didn't give up and played till the end. But I think we got away with one there. Didnt deserve the win in my eyes. But I'll take it all day long šŸ¤£

Yeah agree we really made hard work of it but sometimes you win through skill amd dominance, sometimes you win by guts and determination.Ā  Today was the latter, and its a victory as deserving as one won by skill.

That guts and determination was shown in 3 minutes by Grant Reid. Knocked on in our half to give them a chance, then when we got it back made a superb battling run to get us in their half and create the play that won us the penalty, we'll done to him.

Thought Key was a fair MOTM, between him and Barnes as the 2 outstanding players, with Walker very involved but having to do too much in my opinion, could really do with an organiser/controlling half alongside him, like Forber.

• Like 4

I think it shows we are a work in progress, but youā€™ve got to give them huge credit for sticking in there and finding a way to win. We were a lot better in that 2nd half and in the last 41 minutes of the game won it 20-0. Work to do for sure but to come up against a vastly experienced pack and find a way to come back is excellent. JJ was great while he was on but thought Caine was very good for 80 mins. Well done boys!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

Yeah agree we really made hard work of it but sometimes you win through skill amd dominance, sometimes you win by guts and determination.Ā  Today was the latter, and its a victory as deserving as one won by skill.

That guts and determination was shown in 3 minutes by Grant Reid. Knocked on in our half to give them a chance, then when we got it back made a superb battling run to get us in their half and create the play that won us the penalty, we'll done to him.

Thought Key was a fair MOTM, between him and Barnes as the 2 outstanding players, with Walker very involved but having to do too much in my opinion, could really do with an organiser/controlling half alongside him, like Forber.

I heard him on the radio when he was co commentator, and he came across as a grand lad. Glad he is getting minutes.

And JJ being Andys grandsonĀ  would not expect anything less.

• Like 2

Key made a difference , gave us more direct running and made good yards . To much lateral ponderous stuff for large parts and last tackle some dreadful stuff. They just had some big guys up the guts with sniping plays off that and they just got through their sets and kicked it with few errors . With a soft lead it looked like being enough for a long time . Henson and Walker playing off some strong runs and getting on the front foot got us some momentum . Our other playmaking options though are poor . Weā€™ve been on the wrong end of plenty of these so itā€™s excellent to grind one out ourselves . Also thought the young ref needs to go away and read about the holding down in the tackle rule

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Onreport said:

A wins a win but oh dear we were awful first half,Ā  credit to Caine and JJ only forwards making any ground

Apart from Scholey and Reid who made breaks to set up a try and a penalty but i get your point. JJ has been fantastic, i thought Tomposh would've been good this year but i'd rather have KirkupĀ  been average for me. I thought N Wales should've carried on what they were doing but second half they got sensible and it back fired. In a sense we didn't deserve it but credit to them for scrapping away and finding a way to win. I thought i'd seen the best kicker since Blaine's dad in Forber but Walker has been phenomenal..big respect for anybody who can handle that pressure.Ā 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, town blue said:

We appear to struggle to make the hard yards when coming up against teams with bigger stronger forwards. Is Riley still at Town?

Yes still at the club,talked to him on Thursday and i asked if he was playing but said no, he needs an operation on his ankle/foot but he wanted to play but was advised to have the operation by the medical staff and by the coach.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

Apart from Scholey and Reid who made breaks to set up a try and a penalty but i get your point. JJ has been fantastic, i thought Tomposh would've been good this year but i'd rather have KirkupĀ  been average for me. I thought N Wales should've carried on what they were doing but second half they got sensible and it back fired. In a sense we didn't deserve it but credit to them for scrapping away and finding a way to win. I thought i'd seen the best kicker since Blaine's dad in Forber but Walker has been phenomenal..big respect for anybody who can handle that pressure.Ā 

North Wales tired in the second half, Town were the fitter team and this seen them through to grab victory.Ā 

• Like 1

Thought town were very flat today,north Wales pack ran harder thanĀ  town,lads tackling to high also,Thought marwoods tackling was good round the legs bringing the big forwards down,but Henson was head an shoulders towns best player,walker tried hard and his two late kicks were top draw.also Thought Simpson did well at full back while burns went off.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, town blue said:

North Wales tired in the second half, Town were the fitter team and this seen them through to grab victory.Ā 

Yeah my mate said that, could be right but i just thought they came out with a different mindset to the first. If it aint broke don't fix it.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Defo short of an old head in the halfs, we spent most of the 2nd half in their half and didn't look like scoring for most of it. Bet JJ will be sore tomorrow that was one hell of a shift..2 points in the bag no matter what the performance was like. Happy days..

• Like 1

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

Forster was rhubarb today which was great to see šŸ˜‚

Edited by anok4u
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

1 hour ago, anok4u said:

Forster was rhubarb today which wad great to see šŸ˜‚

I agree, was surprised how mediocre he was compared to the other big forwards, their left winger Masson was a handful and ran like a forward - seem to remember him from a couple of years ago running amok, a pity Murray didn't bring him to Town.

• Like 2

Enjoy the win everyone, thanks for the views, North Wales Crusaders are no mugs and have been a strong side, in and around the playoffs for a number of years.Ā 

0-18 was obviously not in the plan, but we did find the character, resolve and points to pull it back.

Give us time, we're 3 wins from 4 and 75% of our squad were amateur players at Cumbrian Community Clubs last season. We will only get better, support us, encourage us and as I say, enjoy the wins!Ā 

And please bring a mate/marra next home game v Oldham, 14th May. Our plans, simply, they rely on Supporters coming over that bridge....

UTT and thanks for supporting us today. šŸ‘

GraemeĀ 

DirectorĀ 

Workington Town RLFCĀ 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Agree with most. Thought Barnes kept us in the game at times with some terrific tackling as well as his go forward. Key excellent. Hats off to Walker for nailing those last 2 kicks neither easy.Ā 

• Like 3

Agree with graeme,the club as come a long way in a short time to compete again,but to get to next level and better support the team need a pack leader like Foster,and a half who can kick the ball on last tackle,also some speed in the backs to get the crowd on its feet,

• Like 2

Great win yesterday, not the best performance but the points are in the bag.

Not sure how Crusaders have managed to lose 5 on the spin as they were the better team for an hour, but credit to our lads they stuck at it and won it at the death.

Two great kicks under pressure from Walker and some of our pack dragged us back into the game. The slow play the balls were killing us which the ref allowed, but second half we started to get our noses through and we ground our way back in after some really soft tries in the first half.

Enjoyed a few pints in the sun too! UTT

Watched the footage of the fans fighting at the Barrow game. Let's hope they name them and ban the idiots.

• Like 4

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

1 hour ago, The Voodooguru said:

Great win yesterday, not the best performance but the points are in the bag.

Not sure how Crusaders have managed to lose 5 on the spin as they were the better team for an hour, but credit to our lads they stuck at it and won it at the death.

Two great kicks under pressure from Walker and some of our pack dragged us back into the game. The slow play the balls were killing us which the ref allowed, but second half we started to get our noses through and we ground our way back in after some really soft tries in the first half.

Enjoyed a few pints in the sun too! UTT

Watched the footage of the fans fighting at the Barrow game. Let's hope they name them and ban the idiots.

Was nice having a few beers on the Derwent Park "Pavilion"......

Daft jambos were fighting amongst themselves too apparently. Classy.

• Like 3

Agree with previous posters that we got out of jail yesterday .Thought first half our forwards struggled , Cru winning the ruck/or holding down and slowing our play the ball whichever way you want to put it .With their big pack as usual , would personally have had Kirkup in the Team .Jason Mossop had is best game since his return , tackled well and would like to know how many balls he drove in , worked tirelessly all game .Also puzzled why Blaine only got about 20mins , tackled like a demon and didn`t look spent to me .Well done to the lads for getting the win and brilliant kicks by Walker under that pressure .Looks like we will be missing Riley , Steele abd Curwen for most of the season , so lets hope we get no more injuries to the forwards . UTT.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

Longterm they said and Curwen's in a boot.

I heard Curwen was finished due to it being another long term injury. Hope it isn't as he's a handy league 1 player for you guys. Great resilience shown yesterday, well done on the win šŸ‘

• Like 1