Franchise Rugby League

Just now, OriginalMrC said:

Wonder what 'Bristol' All Golds make of the Sonics coming back to reclaim their city 😂

It's like when we had two New York rugby league teams.

Neither playing a game.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, Jughead said:

The Andorra website and site that sells merchandise looks suspiciously like the same stuff that Mascord and Brown used to sell. 

What a kit though... 

I think they should do a Catalan national team one (like the soccer one) 

Fancy a game of touch in Cambs or Lincs? DM me 

2 hours ago, jacobus said:

What a kit though... 

I think they should do a Catalan national team one (like the soccer one) 

They could have a made up Galacian national team jersey to play against, in a Spanish autonomous community league. 

On 05/04/2023 at 21:29, langpark said:

Anyone doubting just how smoke & mirrors this all is, look no further than this thread: The owner of 4 twitter accounts, having a full on conversation with himself 🤦‍♂️😂 (1. Franchise RL 2. España RL 3. Valencia Huracanes 4. Bath RL)

Comedy gold. Surely you'd just take up gardening, golf or something else? What a weird hobby.

"I'm just popping out for a couple of hours to set up some pretend rugby sides on the internet love, do you want me to pick us up something for tea on the way back?"

• Haha 6

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

4 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Comedy gold. Surely you'd just take up gardening, golf or something else? What a weird hobby.

"I'm just popping out for a couple of hours to set up some pretend rugby sides on the internet love, do you want me to pick us up something for tea on the way back?"

I guess that's the true beauty of the internet... you don't even have to leave your house to set up a rugby league club!

• Haha 1

I am new to this forum but felt compelled to comment on this.

The man is a myth and never delivers anything he says and would be amazed if the lads at the Gladiators have not worked this out yet.

If any journalist worth their salt read this then surely these are the questions to put to them..

1. Who is governing this competition?

2. Who is funding it?

3. Who is insuring it? 

4. Who is appointing the match officials?

5. What happens should there (god forbid) be a serious injury to an unsuspecting player?

6. Where are the players coming from? Considering Bath were kicked out of the SCL for having no players registered.

7. And finally why not just enter the Gladiators and Sonics in the West of England competition? And do the old fashioned getting some runs on the board? Just like the many other great clubs in the South?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I don’t understand any of this, can someone precis it?

In 2020, Dean Buchan announced, with a great deal of fanfare, the launch of a Euro XIII competition, which featured 16 clubs from 16 different countries in Europe, to play in four groups of four and then a knockout stage. A small number of the clubs already existed (and still do), others did not (and still don't). There was to be a player draft, in Brisbane and Atlanta, with each club choosing several players to supplement their local ones. There was no detail ever released on how this was all being funded and as the RLEF and RFL were not on board, there was no detail on insurance, referees or anything like that. Ultimately, nothing happened, with the pandemic being blamed.

Now in 2023, he is doing something similar, but on a much smaller scale. It's fair to say there is a degree of scepticism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JonM said:

In 2020, Dean Buchan announced, with a great deal of fanfare, the launch of a Euro XIII competition, which featured 16 clubs from 16 different countries in Europe, to play in four groups of four and then a knockout stage. A small number of the clubs already existed (and still do), others did not (and still don't). There was to be a player draft, in Brisbane and Atlanta, with each club choosing several players to supplement their local ones. There was no detail ever released on how this was all being funded and as the RLEF and RFL were not on board, there was no detail on insurance, referees or anything like that. Ultimately, nothing happened, with the pandemic being blamed.

Now in 2023, he is doing something similar, but on a much smaller scale. It's fair to say there is a degree of scepticism.

Cheers.

How bizarre!

On 03/04/2023 at 14:24, langpark said:

Why are people mocking BSL? Sure it is an amateur grassroots competition, but at least they play real matches, with real teams, since 2017. Unlike this virtual nonsense. 

Because some people think it's funny to laugh at minnows and can't be bothered researching the difference between fact and fiction.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

I'm just struggling to work out the angle for making money out of this.

Some sort of attempt to try and sell merchandise perhaps, or attract investors for a bigger event next year. I don't think I've even seen anything saying it is 13 aside so this may just be a minimal cost 9's festival over a weekend with a bunch of local players from Spain RL - if it happens.

I get why you’d want to start a rugby league team. I imagine it’s a labour of love and one that eats away at nearly every second of your leisure time but I imagine the satisfaction from seeing multiple age groups playing is probably worth the work that it entails. What I don’t get is what Dean Buchan does in setting up teams and competitions that almost certainly will never materialise. 

21 minutes ago, Jughead said:

What I don’t get is what Dean Buchan does in setting up teams and competitions that almost certainly will never materialise. 

There's plenty of people out there who want such a competition - some of the real, existing clubs who signed up to take part have played each other. For example, Skane Stags and Mad Squirrels Vrchlabí have played each other in Sweden and Czechia. Dean Buchan himself has got some games played in Spain, including the one involving Fev. The problem is that the RLEF haven't organised anything like this themselves, presumably due to lack of funds. Mr. Buchan appears to be going down the fake it until you make it/ build it and they will come type approach, and I guess the European rugby league authorities are rather worried that a lot of damage will be done to developing nations when it all fails.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

I get why you’d want to start a rugby league team. I imagine it’s a labour of love and one that eats away at nearly every second of your leisure time but I imagine the satisfaction from seeing multiple age groups playing is probably worth the work that it entails. What I don’t get is what Dean Buchan does in setting up teams and competitions that almost certainly will never materialise. 

Two words.

Walter, Mitty

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Bath Romans IDST said:

I am new to this forum but felt compelled to comment on this.

The man is a myth and never delivers anything he says and would be amazed if the lads at the Gladiators have not worked this out yet.

If any journalist worth their salt read this then surely these are the questions to put to them..

1. Who is governing this competition?

2. Who is funding it?

3. Who is insuring it? 

4. Who is appointing the match officials?

5. What happens should there (god forbid) be a serious injury to an unsuspecting player?

6. Where are the players coming from? Considering Bath were kicked out of the SCL for having no players registered.

7. And finally why not just enter the Gladiators and Sonics in the West of England competition? And do the old fashioned getting some runs on the board? Just like the many other great clubs in the South?

I agree that it would be more beneficial for the All Golds and Gladiators to enter the West of England league. The more clubs that can enter and compete in these developing leagues the stronger they will become

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

I agree that it would be more beneficial for the All Golds and Gladiators to enter the West of England league. The more clubs that can enter and compete in these developing leagues the stronger they will become

The All Golds are playing in the Southern Conference League and have been since the league was founded.

Edited by Styx

7 hours ago, JonM said:

There's plenty of people out there who want such a competition - some of the real, existing clubs who signed up to take part have played each other. For example, Skane Stags and Mad Squirrels Vrchlabí have played each other in Sweden and Czechia. Dean Buchan himself has got some games played in Spain, including the one involving Fev. The problem is that the RLEF haven't organised anything like this themselves, presumably due to lack of funds. Mr. Buchan appears to be going down the fake it until you make it/ build it and they will come type approach, and I guess the European rugby league authorities are rather worried that a lot of damage will be done to developing nations when it all fails.

@JonM You don't honestly think that this match v Featherstone was a "game" .??? 100 points plus and Hurricanes points were scored by Salford players substituting as they could not raise a team. The fans enjoyed beer n sun. Thats it. His only other match "in charge" as president was Spain v Ireland where the pitch was a disgrace and Ireland were treated like 2nd class citizens. 

His time is up and his fake teams will go with him.

2 minutes ago, Billy Hunt said:

@JonM You don't honestly think that this match v Featherstone was a "game" .??? 100 points plus and Hurricanes points were scored by Salford players substituting as they could not raise a team.

Nevertheless, there was an actual fixture played. You're right though, it's hard to get across in a short summary just how silly some of the stuff has been.

8 hours ago, JM2010 said:

@JM2010 It would actually benefit the league if Gladiators actually had a team. It has no players no structure . In fact it's another fake fantasy team such as Valencia Hurricanes and Alicante Cruzados. Facebook teams only. The Sonics are just an extension of Bath as Juan Jasso and Dean Buchan are best buddies