Mike Cooper : Season ending injury. (Merged Threads)

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 minute ago, dkw said:

I know it's difficult to ban a player based on the length of time the injured player is out but it surely has to be taken into account in a situation like this.

Any injury is usually considered if a player is found guilty. An injury doesn’t mean that a player is charged or that he will be found guilty. 

1 minute ago, dkw said:

I know it's difficult to ban a player based on the length of time the injured player is out but it surely has to be taken into account in a situation like this.

You have to take whether the player has done tackles like that before as well. Sad for Cooper, a tackle that needs taking out of the game, its dangerous and career threatening. 

3 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Any injury is usually considered if a player is found guilty. An injury doesn’t mean that a player is charged or that he will be found guilty. 

I didn't know that, cheers. I always thought it wasn't considered at all.

1 minute ago, dkw said:

I doubt it,he’s been charged with a grade D,he will only get the maximum ban for that charge at worst.

17 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I doubt it,he’s been charged with a grade D,he will only get the maximum ban for that charge at worst.

But why bring him to the committee then, to tell him he's a naughty boy dont do it again and again and again. 😁

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

But why bring him to the committee then, to tell him he's a naughty boy dont do it again and again and again. 😁

I don’t really know mate,I just thought if an offence was deemed a certain grade the punishment couldn’t exceed the level stated for that grade,happy to be corrected.

33 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't think the Jermaine McGillvary tackle brought any charges did it? (Not even sure if it was referred to the disciplinary).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

From the injury update on the Wigan website

“He’s got another meeting with a consultant, but he’s done every possible injury to his knee including an ACL rupture.”

I'm not an expert but that sounds pretty horrific. Really feel for him. It's a tough injury to have at any age but for someone who is 34 it's going to be a struggle to get back to where he was.

The game really needs to get tough on hip drop and similar tackles. It certainly looked dangerous from Knowles but he'll get the chance to defend himself. I thought the one by Smithies looked pretty nasty too and one match doesn't really do it justice when you saw the same type of tackle getting 2 or 3 games last year. I know they've reduced the severity of punishments across the board for this year but I really think they should look again at this type of tackle.

I know it often looks innocuous and it's never intentional but I don't think it's a method of tackling that is integral to the game. Most of the cases I've seen seem to be due to laziness or desperation but greater care in what players do with their body weight in tackles is needed because this is arguably worse than the canonball tackle issues of the recent past.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

In the last 10 months Morgan Knowles has been found guilty either by MRP or tribunal 8 times. This will be the 9th.

At what stage do we address that there is a real issue here. 

2 games into his Hull career, age 34.

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

In the last 10 months Morgan Knowles has been found guilty either by MRP or tribunal 8 times. This will be the 9th.

The NRL had a demerit system that applied loading – and longer suspensions – for previous offences within the preceding two years.  Essentially ensuring serial offenders got longer punishments than those who offend less often.

But that was scrapped last year I think.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Look he’s just not that sort of player, Paul Wellens says so

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The NRL had a demerit system that applied loading – and longer suspensions – for previous offences within the preceding two years.  Essentially ensuring serial offenders got longer punishments than those who offend less often.

But that was scrapped last year I think.

I’m pretty sure past record is taken into account over here too. The problem is our bans are too low to start with and have even been reduced this season. 

Edited by bobbruce
  • Like 4

Just now, bobbruce said:

I’m pretty sure past record is taken into account over here too. The problem is about bans are too low to start with and have even been reduced this season. 

Agreed. We've made a bit of a balls up of the disciplinary tbh. The system was clear last year, it's bands overlap and are too low now. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What sack or replace the MRP, looks like Knowles won't change. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

I’m pretty sure past record is taken into account over here too. The problem is about bans are too low to start with and have even been reduced this season. 

Thanks.  Are there strict regulations, or just guidelines do you know? (On my phone on the tube but will look later).

As for bans... agreed.  And we reduced them across the board this year as well didn't we.

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

I’m just making an assumption as I’m sure I’ve seen players get reduced bans for previous good record. That may just be something the MRP say to reduce bans though. 

I think it's the difference between getting the low end and the high end in each band. So you won't get a higher band, but you'll get the higher end of the grading of that offence. 

• Thanks 1