Fri 14th Apr: SL: Warrington Wolves v Wigan Warriors KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/04/23 at 19:30

7 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

👍

Spot on. Show me a ref who can ref like Holdsworth, Lindop and Thompson in todays era and every fan in the RL community will accept the odd ‘blip’. 

We currently have a group of refs who think the game is more about ‘them’, and it’s spoiling the game imho. No VR should increase their confidence ten fold !

I meant decisions whichever ref made them.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

If there was separation in Minikins try it was because Isa caught him in the face with a high tackle.His hand may have had minimal contact with the ball but it was controlled with his chest.Not much control in Wigans second try although he did still have a finger on it when bounced down.Wigans first try looked a yard offside but they were clearly the better team and deserved to win.

• Like 3

O'Neill was offside & Minikin was a legitimate score.

Wigan pack dominated yardage gains in possession & it wasn't until Matty Russell came on that Wire started to win rucks.

A grind of a game with little of high quality to shout about.

Poor commentary & a ref who likes the sound of his own voice as much as the Sky lot do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Padge said:

Could be difficult when 15000 people and 26 players look bewildered at a disallowed try by 2 refs tonight, but I get your drift. 

Kendall is arrogant enough to say in court ‘ I was right because my mate Tom agreed with me’ 😂😂

RL put VRs in to get big calls right. I think it’s now getting worse. I really hope this doesn’t happen in the Grand Final !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Still think there are big question marks against some of the forwards especially against inform,full strength packs,but certainly a step up these last 2 games.

Wigans defensive line speed is absolutely awesome. 

Only way to beat them is second phase and chance your hand. The future looks bright for the Crustmunchers !

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Only way to beat them is second phase and chance your hand. The future looks bright for the Crustmunchers !

We have put together a very light and mobile pack. Against Catalans at home we were crushed by a bigger team who used their size effectively, but we have got the balance right these last 2 games. If only the grand final was played in August…

36 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Wigan probably deserved to win it. Wire looked disjointed,it wasn't good enough. But if that's the quality of officiating we have in our top division we're in a mess.

Probably?!! 

I thought the scoreline flattered Wire by a good few scores. We dominated pretty much from the first minute and a mixture of poor execution and a lack of patience, cost us so many points. I went in to the game hoping we could keep it tight and maybe get them down the home stretch and that changed to being absolutely staggered we were only 4 points up at half time. It would’ve been a travesty had Wigan not won that game tonight. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

We have put together a very light and mobile pack. Against Catalans at home we were crushed by a bigger team who used their size effectively, but we have got the balance right these last 2 games. If only the grand final was played in August…

The uplift in intensity from that Leigh game onwards has been staggering. I hoped going in to Leigh that we’d been holding plenty back and had targeted these 3 fixtures and that has clearly been the case. The defence has been of a similar intensity to that 2020 Grand Final but they’ve managed to replicate it across 3 fixtures. To concede only 6 points in those 3 games is some effort. It needed to be at that level once Field and Cust were ruled out because our ability to score points was obviously going to be limited. 

Well, Wigan to me looks like a different animal this season. Unsurprisingly really, as they have two proper centres, rather than to aging second rowers playing out of position.

They absolutely deserved that tonight. Defensive effort was huge.

The uplift in level when compared to some of the other teams we have seen in the 'super' League this season is huge. If you look at the likes of Hull, Castleford and the joke that is Wakefield,  then this game looked like it was from another planet. 

6 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Wigan were the better side, and that was with 6 top players missing by the 5th minute in Field, Cust, Smithies, Singleton, Hampshire and Bretherton. 

6 top line players is stretching it.

8 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Wigan were the better side, and that was with 6 top players missing by the 5th minute in Field, Cust, Smithies, Singleton, Hampshire and Bretherton. 

Field yes , who would the others replace ? , Singleton played 

Wigan's determination aside, three things clearly blunted Warrington's free-scoring attack: the loss of several big forwards for rotation, the slippery conditions, and playing the occasion not the game.

How the defeat affects them will be interesting come Thursday at Saints. I think they will be ok, but do worry that they are only a couple more injuries away from losing their swagger entirely.

8 hours ago, Padge said:

As a fan of the club that will get more than the lions share of decisions it is an understandable point to make , just subconscious bias , ie , being human , it happens in all sports , ' bigger ' the club , more 50/50 decisions they will get , we wanted VR to sort this out , ATM it appears not to be doing so 

8 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

You do realise you were playing a team with 2 wingers and an 18 yr old making his debut on the bench ? 

Just now, Davo5 said:

Cust at halfback,Smithies at loose forward,Cooper at prop & to be fair Singleton lasted 5 mins

So who are you cutting out ? , Not forgetting you were playing a team with 2 wingers and an 18 yr old debutant on the bench 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So who are you cutting out ? , Not forgetting you were playing a team with 2 wingers and an 18 yr old debutant on the bench 

Well we would be able to play with 2 halfbacks & Isa,Ellis,Mago would drop out or moved to the bench,hope you  get over that derby drubbing soon

8 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I agree. He seemed to speed through things. I thought the Wigan try was offside and I felt Minikin never dropped the ball.

Wigan deserved to win though, for sure.

That's how I see it, and that's a huge turnaround, but if those decisions go like that and we win, I think we have got a win that would be pretty odd. 

But that's the reason I'm not too disappointed. We were 2nd best by far, yet in reality could still have won against one of the best teams in the comp. Thats not a bad reflection on our efforts. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Well we would be able to play with 2 halfbacks & Isa,Ellis,Mago would drop out or moved to the bench,hope you  get over that derby drubbing soon

Indeed , dropping players who've played very well in your last 2/3 games , is Cust better than Sharrocks ATM ? , No certainty they'd have played any better than those they replaced 

How would the derby have ' panned ' out if you'd not taken out one of our best players this year ? 

Wigan were the best team last night , deserved the win , didn't play that well in truth , I'd have fancied our chances against Wire last night , basically no bench 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ChristianB said:

Wigan's determination aside, three things clearly blunted Warrington's free-scoring attack: the loss of several big forwards for rotation, the slippery conditions, and playing the occasion not the game.

How the defeat affects them will be interesting come Thursday at Saints. I think they will be ok, but do worry that they are only a couple more injuries away from losing their swagger entirely.

There was also a forth thing, and it happens in most games that is a hard fought contest, Josh Drinkwater goes missing, he has been instrumental with George William's in getting Wire on the front foot this term, but it looked last night that Williams was on his own.

In the two years he was at Leigh he did it, and also at Catalan, it is a part of his make-up the Lad has everything required skill wise, but he doesn't relish the fight.

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Indeed , dropping players who've played very well in your last 2/3 games , is Cust better than Sharrocks ATM ? , No certainty they'd have played any better than those they replaced 

How would the derby have ' panned ' out if you'd not taken out one of our best players this year ? 

Wigan were the best team last night , deserved the win , didn't play that well in truth , I'd have fancied our chances against Wire last night , basically no bench 

Maybe professional therapy might be needed,good luck with your recovery.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Yep but not just the speed, the agility and fitness is amazing ....non stop and neutralised Wires shock and awe tactics through the middle