Salford fan shares and financial issues.

Credit to Salford for trying something like this and in wanting to give ownership of the club to the fans but I just can't see how this is going to work for them long term. Even of they reach their targets this year, they'll just have to do the same next year, and the year after etc.

Owning a sports club is expensive unless it has income streams to support itself. Being in essentially what is a rented stadium and having low income from match days then I can't see where the income is going to come from every year for the club to survive at SL level for much longer. How much longer can these fans keep digging into their own pockets to keep the club afloat ?

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Credit to Salford for trying something like this and in wanting to give ownership of the club to the fans but I just can't see how this is going to work for them long term. Even of they reach their targets this year, they'll just have to do the same next year, and the year after etc.

Owning a sports club is expensive unless it has income streams to support itself. Being in essentially what is a rented stadium and having low income from match days then I can't see where the income is going to come from every year for the club to survive at SL level for much longer. How much longer can these fans keep digging into their own pockets to keep the club afloat ?

Thank you for that reasoned analysis. I agree with your view that it is great that they are trying something, but there are doubts about its effectiveness in the future.

From my pov, it keeps us going in the immediate future, but I do worry about the long-term future of SRLFC. We really need about 50% more fans, however the sporting monoculture of Gtr.Manchester makes this very difficult. (It's actually the reporting of sport rather than people playing sport that creates the monoculture)

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

You don’t understand do you, bless you?

Most rugby league fans are local to the club and can walk to the ground. 

Except Salford which is out in the middle of nowhere

This funding model simply is not going to work. It is abundantly clear for all to see.

Expect an exodus of the higher rated players in the very near future.

Given the wins already registered, they are safe this year. Transfer fee money will help pay off the £350k council loan

Time aplenty to restructure & who knows, perhaps make the call to voluntarily step down to the Championship at season end.

There is no other way forward for Salford in my opinion.

3 hours ago, The storm said:

Lets get things straight here, our ground is in Salford, nearby are lots of houses resided in by Salford people and we live in another part of Salford, and we can get to the ground quicker than we could get to the Willows.

And it is not in the middle of nowhere.

4 hours ago, The storm said:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The storm said:

I saw a small clip of Sales home game on  sports round up programme. The ground looked rammed I am sure it was Salfords stadium but so hard to recognise when full. If it was their stadium then they don't seem to have any problem packing the place out

11 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

I saw a small clip of Sales home game on  sports round up programme. The ground looked rammed I am sure it was Salfords stadium but so hard to recognise when full. If it was their stadium then they don't seem to have any problem packing the place out

That was their highest attendance for years though and far from normal. Their owner has talked plenty of times about their issues attracting fans.

Edited by Damien

While I don’t like the idea, Matt Shaw clutching his pearls about it is classic Matt Shaw. 

A number of fans were asking for this but the rate is obviously terrible. People can decide for themselves whether to take it though.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LR23 said:

While I don’t like the idea, Matt Shaw clutching his pearls about it is classic Matt Shaw. 

A number of fans were asking for this but the rate is obviously terrible. People can decide for themselves whether to take it though.

The optics from the outside, no matter who wrong, boil down to "We've signed our star player on a long contract!" also "Take out a loan to keep the club going!"

• Like 1

So its "We (SRD) can't get a loan because we have bad credit, so can you please go out and take a loan on our behalf"

Paul King to the board "Its ace this, we can now get a loan AND we will never default on it"

This is absolutely disgraceful and immoral IMO

They have already dsiguised a bucket collection as 'Share Ownership'

Edited by DemonUK
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Here we go again .....

• 2 weeks later...

£200,000 raised so far this afternoon.

Almost 800 co-owners.

Possibly an extra £750,000 could be in coming from various grants due to the nature of the crowd funder, following from Tuesday's meeting between club officials and co-owners.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

£200,000 raised so far this afternoon.

Almost 800 co-owners.

Possibly an extra £750,000 could be in coming from various grants due to the nature of the crowd funder, following from Tuesday's meeting between club officials and co-owners.

The £750k is fantasy talk.  Just not going to ever materialise.

Who is next out of the door after Dupree?

Paul King will want to get his house out of hock from the council & there's no other way to raise cash.

• Confused 1