Sat 29 Apr: Intl (Men): England v France KO 16:30 (Sky)

Who will win?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • France by 1 to 6 points
    • France by 7 to 12 points
    • France by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/04/23 at 16:00

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

More spread as we see in the NRL of Kiwi players is the answer I suppose , are there Elite 1 prospects that are worth looking at currently?

English clubs can sign as many french players as they want as they dont count on the quota, but the reason they don't is there aren't very many good quality french players worth signing.

If they weren't getting picked for Catalans (which most french players aren't anyway), how many current Catalans players would English clubs really be interested in signing, 2, 3 4 maybe ?

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

13 replies to this topic and 8 of those are from 3 posters

I won't be going I got wazzed of with this fixture a few years ago with the contempt that France seemed to have for this fixture, but I expect there will be 'many' there (only joking) if only attended by all those who keep saying that this fixture is paramount to the success of the game in France they also argue it should be played at least twice a year.

I should imagine it will be a flop even with Mr Wane shoe horning 7 Wire player's into his 19 man squad to entice the locals along.

I agree France themselves (and by that Toulouse and Catalan) need to make sure the best players are released .....it really shakes my ability to justify them in top level UK RL if they can't do this. Surely it's a massive reason to have them in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

English clubs can sign as many french players as they want as they dont count on the quota, but the reason they don't is there aren't very many good quality french players worth signing.

If they weren't getting picked for Catalans (which most french players aren't anyway), how many current Catalans players would English clubs really be interested in signing, 2, 3 4 maybe ?

Yes I realise this , but not being at all familiar with Elite 1 , I was asking the question , " is there any potential in there now , that with some FT training could move to UK SL clubs ? " 

56 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes I realise this , but not being at all familiar with Elite 1 , I was asking the question , " is there any potential in there now , that with some FT training could move to UK SL clubs ? " 

If there were then why aren't Catalans signing them up instead of packing their squad with Brits & Antipodeans ? 11 of their top 25 players are currently non-french.

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

It's a vicious circle, this 'I'm not going because England/France aren't picking the best players,' situation.

If more fans turned up to support international fixtures, there would be greater pressure on clubs to release their best players and greater incentive for the governing bodies to schedule more such fixtures and throw more resources into marketing them.

As it is, sadly, it seems few people in rugby league at any level give a toss about the international game at all, beyond paying lip service to it, and will always find an excuse to not attend, not play or not bother doing much promo for it.

And then we wonder why the national profile of this sport is so negligible...

Someone asked earlier why there appears to be no radio coverage. Well, why would any radio station devote its scarce resources to covering a game the sport's own fans are saying they're not interested in?

If WE don't care, why would anyone else?

Before anyone asks, yeah, I'm going on Saturday, to watch both games, and I paid for my own ticket, it's not a media freebie.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, John Drake said:

It's a vicious circle, this 'I'm not going because England/France aren't picking the best players,' situation.

If more fans turned up to support international fixtures, there would be greater pressure on clubs to release their best players and greater incentive for the governing bodies to schedule more such fixtures and throw more resources into marketing them.

As it is, sadly, it seems few people in rugby league at any level give a toss about the international game at all, beyond paying lip service to it, and will always find an excuse to not attend, not play or not bother doing much promo for it.

Someone asked earlier why there appears to be no radio coverage. Well, why would any radio station devote its scarce resources to covering a game the sport's own fans are saying they're not interested in?

Before anyone asks, yeah, I'm going on Saturday, to watch both games, and I paid for my own ticket, it's not a media freebie.

Yup, and got an early bird ticket for £15. Great value for two games.

48 minutes ago, John Drake said:

... is not good enough.

We don't care because we're jaded cynical types. And the RFL have made precisely zero effort to get anybody else on board.

Play this match anywhere outside the heartlands that is saturated with rugby league and you'd have a different story.

Play the women's match as a standalone fixture and you have a different story.

Same old, same old ... it's dull, it's uninspiring, it's bargain basement and "will this do".

And it's not the fault of the taken-for-granted audience if they find they have other plans.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

... is not good enough.

We don't care because we're jaded cynical types. And the RFL have made precisely zero effort to get anybody else on board.

Play this match anywhere outside the heartlands that is saturated with rugby league and you'd have a different story.

Play the women's match as a standalone fixture and you have a different story.

Same old, same old ... it's dull, it's uninspiring, it's bargain basement and "will this do".

And it's not the fault of the taken-for-granted audience if they find they have other plans.

But as John says , it's a no win situation , either way , will I be attending ? , No , just too busy and glad for a weekend off in truth , been to all 10 Leigh games so far with another 16 plus cup to go 

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

But as John says , it's a no win situation , either way , will I be attending ? , No , just too busy and glad for a weekend off in truth , been to all 10 Leigh games so far with another 16 plus cup to go 

Nah. That backs up my point of view on this.

With the greatest of respect, this game was never going to be a great sell to people who are already going to dozens of matches this year. England could be at full strength and so could France and that wouldn't change.

This needed a bit of effort, needed to be an event -  and it needed to be played somewhere which won't have twenty odd other opportunities to see top class rugby league this year.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

23 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Nah. That backs up my point of view on this.

With the greatest of respect, this game was never going to be a great sell to people who are already going to dozens of matches this year. England could be at full strength and so could France and that wouldn't change.

This needed a bit of effort, needed to be an event -  and it needed to be played somewhere which won't have twenty odd other opportunities to see top class rugby league this year.

Where would you have played it ? , Genuine question 

40 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Where would you have played it ? , Genuine question 

It's a fair question.

First principles: I wouldn't be playing a half baked double header with, seemingly, less event feel than a regular season game at the LSV.

On the theory that you fish where the fish are then London has (boringly) shown that they can deliver decent crowds for events and have a nice range of stadiums of appropriate sizes.

Not Wimbledon because, despite the Broncos connection, that seems a bit small time. But Brentford is accessible from the north (if that's important), about the right size, and looks really good.

So that would be my first choice. Others are available.

The key thing is I wouldn't be playing this always-difficult-to-sell fixture at a place where they can already pick and choose which top level RL they go and see.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's a fair question.

First principles: I wouldn't be playing a half baked double header with, seemingly, less event feel than a regular season game at the LSV.

On the theory that you fish where the fish are then London has (boringly) shown that they can deliver decent crowds for events and have a nice range of stadiums of appropriate sizes.

Not Wimbledon because, despite the Broncos connection, that seems a bit small time. But Brentford is accessible from the north (if that's important), about the right size, and looks really good.

The key thing is I wouldn't be playing this always-difficult-to-sell fixture at a place where they can already pick and choose which top level RL they go and see.

Fair call 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

I'll be there too along with my son. Supporting the game and our country.🏉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Your post is bang on mate.👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

It's a fair question.

I've been to Brentford to watch London Irish plenty if times and I can tell you it is great.....would be interesting to see how.many would turn up in fairness 

This game could easily have been at Brighton (Dont laugh) England Men/Women the Rainbow tests 20000 🙂

England needs to play as many matches as possible outside of the heartlands to build the brand other than Manchester/Leeds its London/Norwich/Brighton/Plymouth/Bristol/Birmingham

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

The RFL has set out to make it small time.

Warrington.

Double-header.

Charity kit.

No trophy.

Cheap tickets.

One-off game.

The clubs, players and fans have responded.

I agree the kit should have been the World cup one ...continue the theme 

On London would have been great 

The truth is that it's a problem of geography. Ideally you want an elite southern hemisphere team to come to the UK in mid season, clearly that's impossible so the only option is France.

Catalans stack their team with the the best money can buy from elsewhere than France  and why wouldn't they?

We're approaching 2 decades of Catalans in Super League and we are no nearer now to a competitive French national team than we were then. So what's the answer?

Catalans should be restricted to a maximum of 7 non French players obviously that would also mean that French players should also count on the 'quota' of UK clubs. The IMG grading criteria would probably ensure that Catalans retain their Super League status anyway.

That would give the French game a chance to thrive albeit 2 decades late.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

This game could easily have been at Brighton (Dont laugh) England Men/Women the Rainbow tests 20000 🙂

England needs to play as many matches as possible outside of the heartlands to build the brand other than Manchester/Leeds its London/Norwich/Brighton/Plymouth/Bristol/Birmingham

Not sure it would be that easy to get access to a Premier League football ground this time of year given the fixture pile up that has been caused by staging a football World Cup in the winter.

I agree generally with your points and feel there is little market in the north for watching England paste France in a one sided affair.

But maybe this year it would prove very hard to get a top football club to give access to their facility as has been suggested on here. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Not sure it would be that easy to get access to a Premier League football ground this time of year given the fixture pile up that has been caused by staging a football World Cup in the winter.

I agree generally with your points and feel there is little market in the north for watching England paste France in a one sided affair.

But maybe this year it would prove very hard to get a top football club to give access to their facility as has been suggested on here. 

Plenty of spaces at rugby union clubs down here now though .....

I would have thought it a risk to play it outside the heartlands. The fact is the French RL team isn't a big drawcard anywhere, not even France. The Kangaroos, Kiwis, yes play it away from the heartlands and they would come. Saying that the France game is better moved away from traditional areas is likely to be less supported and possibly a massive flop.

The RFL is at least making an effort to put on an international fixture. There is realistically no one else to play. They know France will be a tough sell and have played it safe.

I've heard so many whinging on this forum about more focus on internationals but apparently, many RL fans don't really know what they want. Good on John Drake and some others for supporting this game. For those who don't want to go that's a personal choice but the negativity from some of the comments is uncalled for IMO.  

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion.