Paul Kent of NRL.360 and the Sydney Daily Telegraph

Those forum members who don't live in Australia but subscribe to watchnrl.com will know well Paul Kent, the co-host of the Fox League TV program NRL.360 since 2013. He has also been one of the top rugby league columnists for the Sydney Daily Telegraph for many years. Paul Kent is a former rugby league player for the Parramatta Eels. He played one game in first grade in 1989. 

On Friday morning May 12, 2023 Paul Kent was arrested by police in his home in Lilyfield, an inner suburb of Sydney near Balmain, He was charged with "common assault" and also "intentionally choking without consent" a 33 year old woman in his home. As a result he has been suspended from his work at the Daily Telegraph and NRL.360 pending the outcome of his court appearances. On Monday night's NRL360 host Braith Anasta stated that Kent had been put on leave while he dealt with "personal issues." (lol)

I am sorry this has happened because as other viewers of the show will agree Paul Kent is a very intelligent man who always has some interesting opinions on issues in rugby league. I consider him an important part of the success of the show, which has survived the departure or the former ace host Ben Ikin for greener pastures as an executive first at Brisbane Broncos and now at the Queensland Rugby League. Many people on here found Kent abrasive and didn't like him. But after the departure of the very smart Ben Ikin he could be considered along with Monday night journaiist panelist Buzz Rothfiield, one of the two smartest members of the 50 minute program.

Kent has been involved in other altercations, including one at an event in February this year. An article in the Sydney Morning Herald then described him as "one of the angriest men in sports media."

NRL360 brought in Gorden Tallis as a temporary replacement on Monday night. I like Big Gordy, as a man with deep knowledge of the game and an engaging personality. However, he just does not have the sharp mind of Paul Kent.

Edited by Bradman Better
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Can't stand Kent. Fracking knowall.

Edited by jacksy
  • Like 4

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Like others on the show, I'd agree with some things he said and disagree with others, but he would constantly talk over the top of others and try to browbeat everyone with talking loudly and would frequently interrupt them rather than hearing them out and then making a case. Least favourite member of the panel.

• Like 4

Is the original post a p*ss take? Sharp mind? Kent is an aggressive, arrogant and wilfully ignorant bully who peddles rubbish fuelled by personal agenda. Unfortunately, it's saying very little of his fellow panellists to say he was the smart one, but sadly you may be right - Phil Rothfield and James Hooper are embarrassing. Still, losing Kent from the show can only be a good thing. 

Edited by ghost crayfish
  • Like 6

On 16/05/2023 at 06:22, Bradman Better said:

I am sorry this has happened because as other viewers of the show will agree Paul Kent is a very intelligent man who always has some interesting opinions on issues in rugby league. I consider him an important part of the success of the show, which has survived the departure or the former ace host Ben Ikin for greener pastures as an executive first at Brisbane Broncos and now at the Queensland Rugby League. Many people on here found Kent abrasive and didn't like him. But after the departure of the very smart Ben Ikin he could be considered along with Monday night journaiist panelist Buzz Rothfiield, one of the two smartest members of the 50 minute program

Is that really your opinion? 

Buzz Rothfield is a shaky buffoon who hasn’t been playing with a full deck of cards for a very long time.

Well… that’s my opinion of him anyway. I think I am in the significant majority.

3 hours ago, DACS said:

Like others on the show, I'd agree with some things he said and disagree with others, but he would constantly talk over the top of others and try to browbeat everyone with talking loudly and would frequently interrupt them rather than hearing them out and then making a case. Least favourite member of the panel.

It’s like you read my mind on my opinion of him.

3 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Is the original post a p*ss take? Sharp mind? Kent is an aggressive, arrogant and wilfully ignorant bully who peddles rubbish fuelled by personal agenda. Unfortunately, it's saying very little of his fellow panellists to say he was the smart one, but sadly you may be right - Phil Rothfield and James Hooper are embarrassing. Still, losing Kent from the show can only be a good thing. 

Oh yeah, James Hooper is an ignoramus. 

Paul Kent is more of a typo than a journo.

The most unpleasant man in rugby league, which is quite an achievement. He manages to make Buzz Rothfield look intelligent, insightful and reasonable. James Hooper is like Kent without a brain, which is actually Hooper’s only saving grace as it makes him slightly less dangerous.

Collectively, those 3 voices have been a blight on the game, a vicious mob who’s Neanderthal views have held back many aspects of the sport for years - both directly, and indirectly through the influence the fear of them has had on NRL headquarters. 

To say I’m unsurprised Kent is involved in this sort of incident is the understatement of the decade. A raging hypocrite, who’s converted his bitterness and jealousy in not making it as a player into years of pain for everyone else who did. 

• Like 7

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Is it worth pointing out he had been charged of something but not convicted (yet)?

There is a huge difference 

Everything I've said is true regardless of this particular offence.

There's plenty of other cases of his drunken loutish behaviour in the past. The bloke's a hypocritical parasite, preying on young players' mistakes whilst living a worse life himself. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

9 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Everything I've said is true regardless of this particular offence.

There's plenty of other cases of his drunken loutish behaviour in the past. The bloke's a hypocritical parasite, preying on young players' mistakes whilst living a worse life himself. 

Talking about the general vibe on this particular accusation .....a lot are making comments that strongly hint they have already assumed he is guilty 

• Confused 2

20 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Paul Kent is more of a typo than a journo.

The most unpleasant man in rugby league, which is quite an achievement. He manages to make Buzz Rothfield look intelligent, insightful and reasonable. James Hooper is like Kent without a brain, which is actually Hooper’s only saving grace as it makes him slightly less dangerous.

Collectively, those 3 voices have been a blight on the game, a vicious mob who’s Neanderthal views have held back many aspects of the sport for years - both directly, and indirectly through the influence the fear of them has had on NRL headquarters. 

To say I’m unsurprised Kent is involved in this sort of incident is the understatement of the decade. A raging hypocrite, who’s converted his bitterness and jealousy in not making it as a player into years of pain for everyone else who did. 

This is completely spot on.

I used to watch NRL360 when it was presented by Ben Ikin and Paul Kent was on the show.

But my viewership came to an abrupt end when in either 2018 or 2019 Paul Kent commented - and I am paraphrasing - a week before the mid season international break over here ‘Why would people be interested in watching the likes of Samoa, Fiji and Tonga play this weekend when we should be having a round of NRL’.

At that moment I just wanted to put my fist through the TV screen and bop him on the nose - just like when the General used to punch Dick Dastardly in the face through the telephone in the cartoon series when Dastardly and Muttley tried to stop the Pigeon.

Just looked up Dick Dastardly and never realised - although I would be quite young - that his character was supposedly modelled on Terry-Thomas.

Edited by Adelaide Tiger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Talking about the general vibe on this particular accusation .....a lot are making comments that strongly hint they have already assumed he is guilty 

Really,most are commenting on his ability or lack of as a broadcaster.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2