Which RL player would you like an autobiography from?

Non will match Sean Long, Rob Burrow book I had tears in my eyes same with longy for different reasons, Ellery would be interesting. I do find a lot of sports stars poor reads (Tyson Fury was 300 pages of him telling you how good he is) It's not always the stars who are good reads.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Non will match Sean Long, Rob Burrow book I had tears in my eyes same with longy for different reasons, Ellery would be interesting. I do find a lot of sports stars poor reads (Tyson Fury was 300 pages of him telling you how good he is) It's not always the stars who are good reads.

I’m shocked that you seem surprised that a book that any book Tyson Fury had a part of isn’t a literary masterpiece. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Probably one of the greatest players of all time but I do find listening to Ellery hard work. He comes across as overly analytical in everything he does. Whilst that made/makes him the player and person he is I don’t find it very entertaining. He’s also very deliberate in his delivery and I can’t ever recall seeing an interview with him where he lets his emotions get the better of him. I couldn’t imagine him letting his hair down after a game although I’m sure he did. A book of the same would be a very hard read IMO. Brett Kenny was another brilliant player but I couldn’t even finish his autobiography it was that dull.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

Eddie Bowman , main man in the Town pack of the late 70`s , prop or 2nd rower with hands and a pass like a stand off .

I think it's a part of the game people forget about, props were generally ball playing forwards with good hands and deceptive plays before they became the meter eaters of the modern game a bit like James Graham style that he developed into link play as well.

6 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Probably one of the greatest players of all time but I do find listening to Ellery hard work. He comes across as overly analytical in everything he does. Whilst that made/makes him the player and person he is I don’t find it very entertaining. He’s also very deliberate in his delivery and I can’t ever recall seeing an interview with him where he lets his emotions get the better of him. I couldn’t imagine him letting his hair down after a game although I’m sure he did. A book of the same would be a very hard read IMO. Brett Kenny was another brilliant player but I couldn’t even finish his autobiography 

Ellery did a good interview a few years ago , at home with Colin Murray on R5. It was a good listen I'm sure a book would be interesting  if he opened up.

• Like 2

After you've read Stanley Gene's autobiography, everything else seems a bit... sane.

But on a PNG angle, Adrian Lam as the first real world-class breakthrough player from PNG might have some insights.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Apparently Green Vigo is still alive. That might be, uh, interesting.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

After you've read Stanley Gene's autobiography, everything else seems a bit... sane.

But on a PNG angle, Adrian Lam as the first real world-class breakthrough player from PNG might have some insights.

Just bought it now as a result of your reply ....as you say from the description looks a mad read!

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Just bought it now as a result of your reply ....as you say from the description looks a mad read!

There are genuinely mad bits, but also some very moving chapters regarding his family, too.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

55 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Wasn’t Lam brought up in Australia?

10 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Wasn’t Lam brought up in Australia?

Mostly, but even so, I think there's a good life story there.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 02/06/2023 at 20:48, Jughead said:

James Roby, an updated Wayne Bennett book, James Graham, Sam Tomkins, Josh Dugan, Craig Bellamy. 

I sort of imagine James Roby's being a bit like that James Milner parody account. Great players don't necessarily make for great reads.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On 03/06/2023 at 09:12, Jughead said:

I’m shocked that you seem surprised that a book that any book Tyson Fury had a part of isn’t a literary masterpiece. 

Maybe but Sean longs wasn't a masterpiece but it was the funniest autobiography I have read. The sports stars don't have to be brilliant writers as most are ghost written, they should think will other people enjoy reading their story instead listings a roll of achievement.

• Like 2

Not an Rl book, but the best sports book i ever read was The Perfect distance, (coe v ovett) by  Pat Butcher, fascinating read, wild man coe getting into a fight and smashing an oar over someone’s head. Some very funny moments mixed in with one ofsports greatest rivalry.

Edited by Live after death