Match thread: Championship Round 15. Featherstone Rovers v London Broncos. Sunday 18th June 2023.

On 14/06/2023 at 16:50, haskey said:

The big question  is   ----- is kheirallah fit to play

Having rewatched the Toulouse game on Rovers TV, if he is fit, I'd put him in at fullback.  I'm not convinced Aekins is quite as good in defence as I thought, he was out of position a few times (althought that may be do with defensive structures from the coach).  Maybe try him in the halves if necessary as he's better in attack than defence.

Assuming that London will have watched the video, I think they will adopt the same aggressive approach as Toulouse and Sheffield. Sheffield lost a tight game due to the referee clamping down on them, whereas Toulouse overcame a massive penalty count against them, although I feel it worked for them in the end. It was 6-0 in penalties in Rovers' favour at half-time and 10-0 when scores were level at 18-18. Did that penalty count influence the referee in not sending Peyroux off, or at least giving him a yellow card after his high tackle on Briscoe? He wouldn't have been around then to help create the try for Marcon that put them back in front, and wouldn't have scored the next try if it had been a red?

So will London adopt a similar approach and try and knock Rovers off their game?

36 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

So will London adopt a similar approach and try and knock Rovers off their game?

Any coach who has watched is and is worth his salt should have two simple instructions. 

1. Be aggressive as the referee allows in defense

2. Spread it wide as often as possible 

Anyone that can do these two things well will cause us problems. 

My team would be as follows: Kheirazlah, Briscoe, Hardcastle, Leilua, Gale, Hankinson, Lacans, Springer, Wildie, Lockwood, Bussey, Hua, Smith.   Bench: Davies, Yei, Cozza, Jones. 

48 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

My team would be as follows: Kheirazlah, Briscoe, Hardcastle, Leilua, Gale, Hankinson, Lacans, Springer, Wildie, Lockwood, Bussey, Hua, Smith.   Bench: Davies, Yei, Cozza, Jones. 

Not a bad team that James.I don't think Hankinson has ever played stand off but Taylor did ok when he played there.I would only have a couple different from you but it's all about opinions.One thing the weather forecast is terrible heavy rain strong winds and possible thunder and lightning from 1-30pm to mid evening.

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Not a bad team that James.I don't think Hankinson has ever played stand off but Taylor did ok when he played there.I would only have a couple different from you but it's all about opinions.One thing the weather forecast is terrible heavy rain strong winds and possible thunder and lightning from 1-30pm to mid evening.

WATER carry on.

Just checked the latest weather warning and we should be ok during game time.Rain forecast from 5pm and throughout the evening.For the game it looks like Joey will be back in the centre alongside Hankinson Probably Kheirallah at stand off.Wildie has not solved the half back position so first half at 9 for him.In the forwards i would bring Moors back to see if he makes a difference.Also Hardcastle in the forwards for me.Smith and Cozza didn't play their best last week but they will be in the 17.

Just now, lingaro said:

Standoff sorted.  Great interplay between fullback and standoff so far.  Different team.  Second half to go. 

Currently on my way back from Manchester airport,so not at the game. Have we been tested at all in defence yet?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

A decent performance, great to see Kheirallah back. What have we learnt? Aekins looked comfortable in the halves. Perhaps I'm still a bit deflated from last week but we know we can beat mid table teams comfortably without looking particularly good. Another 2 points at the end of the day.

• Like 1

Nothing fancy but we did enough with some to spare. London tackled well in mid field but goal line defence poor. Aekins fitted in well at half back.

Cant read too much into aekins at HB for me against that dross though he did alright - if thats the plan for the next few weeks then there are tougher tests ahead to be judged on

At least it looks like the team had had a full weeks training with this set up as we certainly looked a bit more solid and more threatening than last week 

Thought Lacans had his best game for me 

Shame they scored off the literal last play of the game but never mind 

Good first half the players looked sharper and supported better.A few mistakes by both teams and we clearly had Londons measure up the middle.Secondhalf playing downhill i expected more.Without Fords quick passes the wingmen are not getting many chances.Joey and Hankinson played well and are our best options in the centress.Lacans high balls were good but we can still improve our kicking game.Thought we attacked with a bit more depth allowing players to run on to the ball.We need to find a way  to give Jones more time on the field.Not 80 min but todays 27 min was not enough.Hope Oxy keeps the razor blades out of reach he will not be happy with a draw .A few pints and a bottle of wine usually works for me.