Fri 23rd Jun: SL: Leeds Rhinos v Huddersfield Giants KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/06/23 at 19:30

In 35+ years of watching Huddersfield RLFC that has to go down as one of the top 5 worst performances i have ever seen and i have seen some shockers in that time.

Not 1 player, NOT 1, should be able to hold their heads up and say 'i gave it my best'.

We have players who clearly cannot be ###### arsed to put any pride into their job, old guys who are done who can't be arsed, players out of contract who can't be arsed and players who know they're one of the coaches favourites so don't need to be arsed.

This is probably one of the worst Leeds teams in the Super League era but yet we made them look like the golden generation with half the Australian team playing for them.

I bet they couldn't believe how easy it was tonight.

I am usually a positive, glass half full guy but i couldn't wait for that game to end so i could get out.

I am angry at the players for consistently not giving a flying , for giving up so easily and not being botheredto at least claw some pride back.

I don't blame the coach i blame the players 100% as it's them not putting the effort levels in, i'd sack 75% of them tomorrow if i could.

I very rarely miss a game but i've already told the missus to pick a restaurant as we're going out next Friday instead of me going to Wigan to sit through another 80 minutes of that shambles, she obviously still thinks i'm joking saying 'You don't miss rugby!', well if the players can't be bothered neither can i!!.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, daz39 said:

In 35+ years of watching Huddersfield RLFC that has to go down as one of the top 5 worst performances i have ever seen and i have seen some shockers in that time.

Not 1 player, NOT 1, should be able to hold their heads up and say 'i gave it my best'.

We have players who clearly cannot be ###### arsed to put any pride into their job, old guys who are done who can't be arsed, players out of contract who can't be arsed and players who know they're one of the coaches favourites so don't need to be arsed.

This is probably one of the worst Leeds teams in the Super League era but yet we made them look like the golden generation with half the Australian team playing for them.

I bet they couldn't believe how easy it was tonight.

I am usually a positive, glass half full guy but i couldn't wait for that game to end so i could get out.

I am angry at the players for consistently not giving a flying , for giving up so easily and not being botheredto at least claw some pride back.

I don't blame the coach i blame the players 100% as it's them not putting the effort levels in, i'd sack 75% of them tomorrow if i could.

I very rarely miss a game but i've already told the missus to pick a restaurant as we're going out next Friday instead of me going to Wigan to sit through another 80 minutes of that shambles, she obviously still thinks i'm joking saying 'You don't miss rugby!', well if the players can't be bothered neither can i!!.

It's a coaches job to build the culture/ standards at a club and motivate the players. He's lost the dressing room and it's a much more expensive and riskier task to replace the dressing room than the coach. The writing was on the wall months ago when he publicly singled out a club stalwart in McGilvary to criticise and drop him when loads of others were also underperforming but kept their places.

Watsons win % is only just above Simon Woolford now and with Wigan and Cats up next it'll be dropping even further in the weeks to come. 

1 hour ago, meast said:

Doesn't bother me but it would have been nice to be a part of it.

You were a part of it.

What’s your issue because you seem to mention it a lot?

Where do you want the screen to be? I’ve got friends who stand in the western terrace who didn’t have an issues hearing things, and if you want to be undercover you can but tickets for the north stand.

The western terrace at Headingley cannot be renovated, you and other fans who constantly moan about it just need to get their head’s around it.

I don’t think the away experience at the John Smiths stadium is particularly great, mainly because you can hardly fill a quarter of the place, and hearing a couple of people banging a cowbell doesn’t make up for that, but it is what it is.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, daz39 said:

This is Watson's 3rd season. It's his squad. If he can't get the players he signed doing what he wants by now, I'd be concerned.

He's clearly lost the room. Unless he gets rid of them all and starts again, it's not going to get much better.

At least with Tony Smith at the start of the season, you could give him the excuse of time and culture change. Watson has no excuse. I'll give him a couple of weeks max before he's shown the door.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Very good display of free flowing attacking Rugby from Leeds.They also defended well although Giants offered very little in opposition.As other posters have mentioned Giants players don't seem to be putting a fraction of the required effort in for the coach.Love the attitude from Leeds of playing what you see .be aware of situations around you and back up the ball carrier.Would they have beaten Hull FC on their Friday nights performance against Saints,I don't think so.

Really interesting interview last night with Watson on Sky, it's been a while since I've seen a coach so angry. I don't follow Hudds particularly closely (not any more so than other teams anyway) so not sure what the specific issues seem to be, but he sounded like someone whose players aren't executing the plan he's giving them for whatever reason. I'm not sure what the answer is and of course it's his responsibility, but he's proved in the past he isn't a bad coach to be fair to him - I wouldn't be surprised if he comes through this one and does have some success, whether that's at Huddersfield or elsewhere. Let's not forget they were two points short in the Challenge Cup final last season and gave Wigan a right game, so maybe he does have some money in the bank at Huddersfield yet even if they do look to have taken a (admittedly massive) backward step.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, overtheborder said:

Really interesting interview last night with Watson on Sky, it's been a while since I've seen a coach so angry. I don't follow Hudds particularly closely (not any more so than other teams anyway) so not sure what the specific issues seem to be, but he sounded like someone whose players aren't executing the plan he's giving them for whatever reason. I'm not sure what the answer is and of course it's his responsibility, but he's proved in the past he isn't a bad coach to be fair to him - I wouldn't be surprised if he comes through this one and does have some success, whether that's at Huddersfield or elsewhere. Let's not forget they were two points short in the Challenge Cup final last season and gave Wigan a right game, so maybe he does have some money in the bank at Huddersfield yet even if they do look to have taken a (admittedly massive) backward step.

Watson has made his bed with his stupid signings, most of ich are just not good enough. Our spine is the worst in super league and would struggle in the championship. He keeps claiming he knows whats wrong and he can put it right, Its difficult to see how with the players we have in the vital positions. The last good half we had was Sezer and look how long he lasted with Watson, We lost some good players from last season and did Watson try to replace them with equal quality , no he just  keeps signing past their best players as though quantity is more important that quality. Naiqama is a good player but is wasted at the Giants .

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

13 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

You were a part of it.

What’s your issue because you seem to mention it a lot?

Where do you want the screen to be? I’ve got friends who stand in the western terrace who didn’t have an issues hearing things, and if you want to be undercover you can but tickets for the north stand.

The western terrace at Headingley cannot be renovated, you and other fans who constantly moan about it just need to get their head’s around it.

I don’t think the away experience at the John Smiths stadium is particularly great, mainly because you can hardly fill a quarter of the place, and hearing a couple of people banging a cowbell doesn’t make up for that, but it is what it is.

I wasn't maoning bout it, just saying it would have been nice if everyone in the ground could have seen what 3/4's of the ground could see.

Many of the performing kids' families were on the Western terrace and they too were disappointed they couldn't see what was going on.

I've no problem with the WT, it is what it is.

Not sure why you've gone all out on me and the John Smith's stadium for just saying it would have been nice to share the moment, bizarre.

Congrats on the win .

As I said to people last night who sought my opinion on players purpotedly not wanting to play for Watto or not liking his methods, this is how I see it;

if it was me, or Ken Davy or Richard Thewlis or Luke Robinson, Eorl Crabtree or anyone connected to the club, i would have every single squad player in a room and tell them

"Watson is the coach, he's going nowhere, if any of you don't want to play for Ian Watson, then that means the club, the fans, the badge, the shirt, for Ken and everyone else then stand up and walk out now and we'll ship you out"

I didn't particualrly like my last manager at work, I didn't like his and the companies methods, I didn't/don't always agree with the way the company operates but I still go to work and do my very best for myself, my colleagues and my patients/clients.

If any of those players aren't happy with the way things are going or how Watto is doing things, then at least have respect for the club, the fans, the Davy name and <<oops I tried to get around the swear filter and failed>> off!

6 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Very good display of free flowing attacking Rugby from Leeds.They also defended well although Giants offered very little in opposition.As other posters have mentioned Giants players don't seem to be putting a fraction of the required effort in for the coach.Love the attitude from Leeds of playing what you see .be aware of situations around you and back up the ball carrier.Would they have beaten Hull FC on their Friday nights performance against Saints,I don't think so.

Leeds were a joy to watch at times, granted the opposition was abysmal but they played with pride, passion, pace, desire, they were faster in speed and thought in everything, they were prepared to challenge their opponents, prepared to chance their arm, prepared to muscle up for the shirt, the badge, for the fans and for the Burrows.

It was frightening at times to see the vast differences in how they ran, passed, tackled compared to us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

Watson has made his bed with his stupid signings, most of ich are just not good enough. Our spine is the worst in super league and would struggle in the championship. He keeps claiming he knows whats wrong and he can put it right, Its difficult to see how with the players we have in the vital positions. The last good half we had was Sezer and look how long he lasted with Watson, We lost some good players from last season and did Watson try to replace them with equal quality , no he just  keeps signing past their best players as though quantity is more important that quality. Naiqama is a good player but is wasted at the Giants .

I would suggest that Russell has had a far bigger impact since Sezer skulked off than what Sezer ever did at the Giants, Sezer wasn't a good half at all, he made very little impact even in a poor side.

We lost 2 quality players last year in Leutele and Levi, there won't be many 9's in the world who could do what Levi did that we could attract, likewise Leutele, money talked, we offered him a great deal but Leigh offered more, can't really blame Watson for that surely?

1 hour ago, meast said:

I would suggest that Russell has had a far bigger impact since Sezer skulked off than what Sezer ever did at the Giants, Sezer wasn't a good half at all, he made very little impact even in a poor side.

We lost 2 quality players last year in Leutele and Levi, there won't be many 9's in the world who could do what Levi did that we could attract, likewise Leutele, money talked, we offered him a great deal but Leigh offered more, can't really blame Watson for that surely?

But the 'great deal' we offered Leutele was less than the deal he was on already. After turning it down he was offered even less.................and we finish up with Masters!

Not Watson's fault maybe, but who was throwing things round the changing rooms half time at Hull?

1 hour ago, meast said:

I don’t blame Watson for the players who have left , money will always talk and you can’t blame players who do the best for themselves but I do blame him for the players he has brought in. Masters and peats are not in the same class as we lost and we have forwards in abundence, so many in fact we are starting to see them leave because they can’t get in the side and make no mistake it will be the best ones that go and we’ll be signing more Cas rejects and the like. The thing is if you think that Russel is the quality of half we need and rate him better than sezer then you are watching a different game to me, compare their performances last night, there wasn’t a comparison , still you have your opinion and I respect that. Personall I think it will drag on like it did with Jon sharpe but it will have to change eventually. If the players don’t want to lay for him there must be a reason, myself I just don’t think they are good enough in the vital positions

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt