State of Origin 2

Nsw should've started Martin and Murray. And have 2 front rows on the bench. Leniu and probably klemmer. And have one second row on the bench like Kolomatangi or Olaku'atu. Nsw had too many second rowers on the bench with one prop to deal with. Qld played it smart and had 2 front rows and one second rowers. 

Martin and Murray can play 80mins. But nsw needed 2 fresh front rowers to come off the bench. Fitler had no gameplan at all

1 hour ago, Mojo said:

Your right qld also had their bad moments but it felt like nsw was always 2 steps behind the whole game. Moses had a ok game. But he took a couple of average chip kicks that made no sense at all. He also went missing in that 2nd half. It felt like Moses was just a passenger that whole 2nd half and Yeo took over most of the plays.

Saying Luai has only a "step and a ok short pass" is way off tbh. Panthers left side has been dominant the last 2 championships. This year is the only year that hasn't happened so far... but they're slowly getting that dominance back. Kikau hasn't been that dominant since he left the panthers next to Burton. Before the injury Burton struggled to click with him so far.

Sorenson was a journeyman before he joined the panthers. No team wanted him. Now he's one of the form second rowers in the comp next to Luai. And their combination is starting to click. You can say the panthers system and Cleary makes him look good. But when the team starts winning all the glory and praises goes to Cleary but when they start losing people go after Luai because he's a easy target.

In saying that Reynolds and Walker would've been worse than Moses and Luai last night. They were never the answer. Hynes would've probably done better than Moses but who knows. When the forwards are getting dominated what is the halves supposed to do?.

On the last paragraph, i don't think it would have mattered. To the neutral eye, Fittler has made everything too complicated and too basic at the same time. Usually, you can tell what a team are trying to do with the ball.. NSW, other than a block play off Yeo, nothing. Playing Cook at 3 makes sense when you consider his pace when defending against Walsh, but completely stunts them with the ball. Picking players who weren't 100% fit doesn't help either.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

NSW should rip it up and start again as of now . Controversial or not I’m ditching Tedesco and making Latrell fullback , if he’s not fit Dylan Edwards who’s been ultra consistent . Campbell Graham should be in long term . Cameron Murray is one of the top ten players in the game , he should be 13 and captain . Yeo to me looked pretty underwhelming in that role . Frizell and Young were terrible , Liam Martin is outstanding and KK Souths form is excellent . I’d stick with Moses at 7 . I like Walker but if we’re looking ahead I guess you’ve got to stick with Hynes . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Click said:

You do realise people come onto forums to debate and discuss things, especially one of the biggest games of 2023 so far?

You do realise that my comment was a satirical nod to those who mock origin because the 'intensity' isn't the same, or the commentators sell the game too much.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

NSW should rip it up and start again as of now . Controversial or not I’m ditching Tedesco and making Latrell fullback , if he’s not fit Dylan Edwards who’s been ultra consistent . Campbell Graham should be in long term . Cameron Murray is one of the top ten players in the game , he should be 13 and captain . Yeo to me looked pretty underwhelming in that role . Frizell and Young were terrible , Liam Martin is outstanding and KK Souths form is excellent . I’d stick with Moses at 7 . I like Walker but if we’re looking ahead I guess you’ve got to stick with Hynes . 

I don’t think Lattrell has the engine to play fullback at Origin level but I’d like to see Edwards given a shot with Latrell in the centre’s.

Moses had a pretty good first half before fading(like most of the blues) in the 2nd so give him another go in partnership with Hynes & drop Luai who has been poor.Campbell Graham,Murray & Martin just look Origin players & I like Young’s aggression so I’d give him another go so a starting pack of Haas,Cook,Lenui,Martin,Young,Murray.

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

I thought Isaah Yeo was one of NSW's best.  It is a fact of life that sometimes two of your very best players are in the same position.

I have no problem with Murray on the bench.  What I have a problem with is that he was left on the bench for the entire first half... injecting a player like Murray into the middle after 15 / 20 minutes in Origin to speed up the middle would be the way to go - as the 100+ run metres in just 33 second half minutes showed.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

As a Qld 'fan' I am happy to maintain the status quo regarding NSW, but, they do need changes.

Luai is a grub and not up to Origin. He's a flat track bully. 

Somewhat ditto Cleary. Golden boy doesn't always step up. 

The former is passion with no brains. The latter is brains with little passion (unless dad gets the coaching gig!).

Teddy has lost too many as captain. Gutho or Dylan E should replace.

Hynes and Wighton/Burton as the half back pairing.

Wave bye to the Fox. And maybe To'o. 

Keep Haas, Murray, Martin and Yeo. Jake Trb is the only one who stands out after that quartet.

Robson and Cook are the #9 pairing.

Even a new coach has a real battle to put NSW on top.

NSW lacks the passion of Queensland. Queensland players want to play for Queensland, NSW players simply want to play Origin - big difference! Do guys like Luai and To'o bleed blue? I doubt it. Pangai certainly doesn't, he is a self-professed Queensland fan!

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, eal said:

NSW lacks the passion of Queensland. Queensland players want to play for Queensland, NSW players simply want to play Origin - big difference! Do guys like Luai and To'o bleed blue? I doubt it. Pangai certainly doesn't, he is a self-professed Queensland fan!

Why are you calling out Luai and To'o? If anything To'o was one of the best nsw players in game 2 by far. He played his heart out

7 hours ago, eal said:

Over the years Qld have picked players who probably are underrated by many but then seem to grow a leg when they put on a Maroons jersey,the likes of Collins,Cardigan,Cotter etc have just carried that on whereas a lot of the NSW players,often the ones with big reputations just seem to shrink when faced with Origin & the passion the Maroons bring to the party.

44 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Over the years Qld have picked players who probably are underrated by many but then seem to grow a leg when they put on a Maroons jersey,the likes of Collins,Cardigan,Cotter etc have just carried that on whereas a lot of the NSW players,often the ones with big reputations just seem to shrink when faced with Origin & the passion the Maroons bring to the party.

Is this a symptom on a NSW based media? Though to use your examples, Carrigan and Cotter are not underrated, they're internationals. Maybe there is a bias in which the NSW based players are over rated. Turbo T this year has been abysmal for example.

19 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Is this a symptom on a NSW based media? Though to use your examples, Carrigan and Cotter are not underrated, they're internationals. Maybe there is a bias in which the NSW based players are over rated. Turbo T this year has been abysmal for example.

I don’t read or watch NSW based media,it’s a personal opinion based on many years of watching State of Origin.

They weren’t internationals when they came into Origin,Cotter had onlly just established himself in the Cowboys side & Carrigan had only come back from an ACL.

Edited by Davo5

On 23/06/2023 at 00:40, eal said:

Do you understand how Origin came about?

Of course Queenslanders are more passionate than NSW.

Queensland vs NSW is like Wales/Scotland/Ireland Vs England.

Freddie never really got to grips with how Queensland play under Billy, that said they were some poor and strange tactics by the Blues this match. You could see where Billy was using his Storm days re the Reds defence. The Reds absorbed all that the Blues threw at them and the Blues ran out of puff and belief. The rub of the green mainly fell to Reds as their confidence which wasn't lacking grew.

Billy will probably go again for another 2-3 years and Freddie will no doubt have more time to pursue other interests.

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

Freddie never really got to grips with how Queensland play under Billy, that said they were some poor and strange tactics by the Blues this match. You could see where Billy was using his Storm days re the Reds defence. The Reds absorbed all that the Blues threw at them and the Blues ran out of puff and belief. The rub of the green mainly fell to Reds as their confidence which wasn't lacking grew.

Billy will probably go again for another 2-3 years and Freddie will no doubt have more time to pursue other interests.

Reds ??

Wrong code mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Luai has played like ###### and has no passion for NSW. This is the problem with reducing Origin teams to guys who don't want to represent Australia. Origin should be Australian players only.

On 24/06/2023 at 16:35, eal said:

Luai has played like ###### and has no passion for NSW. This is the problem with reducing Origin teams to guys who don't want to represent Australia. Origin should be Australian players only.

I think that's nonsense to be fair. You can be passionate about more than one thing.

I'm Welsh before I'm English. But I'm 100% on board for the England team to beat Australia, NZ or anyone else they're playing.

Nobody says Petero Civoniceva, Josh Papalii, or any of the foreign born Queenslanders care less.

• Like 1