Paul Sykes 1000 points for Dewsbury

At the age of 41, Paul Sykes has reached 1,000 points for the Rams. Scored a try, kicked 4/4 goals and took MoM as Dewsbury beat Oldham 20-8 last night. He kicked 7/7, scored a try and took MoM last week as well.

Over 500 appearances and 2,500 points since his debut for Bradford in 1999.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

I have very fond memories of Sykes playing for London for many years - A great player, who I am always astonished when I still see him playing all these years later. 

Has anyone played longer in the "professional" game then Sykes?

Imagining the commentary if Ray French was still doing it.

Ray: Ooh, great work from Sykes, there - I remember his dad was quite a star at Bradford back in the Nineties.

Co-commentator (quietly): Same bloke Ray, it's the same bloke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Click said:

I have very fond memories of Sykes playing for London for many years - A great player, who I am always astonished when I still see him playing all these years later. 

Stanley Gene ? .

2 hours ago, Click said:

Depends on what you call the professional game, but Paul Sykes made his debut for Bradford in 1999 and hasn't retired yet.

Jeff Grayshon's debut was in 1970 and his final match was in 1995. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 24/06/2023 at 16:20, Click said:

Neil Fox played in four decades, fifties, sixties, seventies and eighties. Not sure how long he played in total.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

35 minutes ago, Stan Doffarf said:

Neil Fox played in four decades, fifties, sixties, seventies and eighties. Not sure how long he played in total.

Wiki has him from 56-79 which would be 23 years who did he play for in the 80s. Sykes I think is 24 years. I seem to remember Geoff Grayshon playing into his 40s. 

Edited by bobbruce

No where near his best with his short spell with Fev some of his long passes went straight into touch.But playing on to a good standard at his age and not just for the money has won me over.Saw him a couple of times last season and his effort and organisation skills were invaluable.Long time retired so play as long as the body allows then you will have memories to look back on after retirement.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Wiki has him from 56-79 which would be 23 years who did he play for in the 80s. Sykes I think is 24 years. I seem to remember Geoff Grayshon playing into his 40s. 

My guess is maybe that refers to the seasons? In which, being a winter season it would have run 1979-80. Just a guess, might be wrong.

Sykes has been an incredible player, not a Neil Fox obviously, but pretty damn good all the same.

• Thanks 1

On 24/06/2023 at 18:30, Futtocks said:

Depends on what you call the professional game, but Paul Sykes made his debut for Bradford in 1999 and hasn't retired yet.

Jeff Grayshon's debut was in 1970 and his final match was in 1995. 

Wasn't there a Cas player who played in his early/mid 40s a few years ago for the odd game? Granted he might have come out of retirement but I seem to remember someone like that - might take a Cas fan to correct me on that one in fairness though.

On 24/06/2023 at 14:20, Wakefield Ram said:

At the age of 41, Paul Sykes has reached 1,000 points for the Rams. Scored a try, kicked 4/4 goals and took MoM as Dewsbury beat Oldham 20-8 last night. He kicked 7/7, scored a try and took MoM last week as well.

Over 500 appearances and 2,500 points since his debut for Bradford in 1999.

should be given the freedom of Dewsbury. 

• Like 1