FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

9 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I too thought she might have been off the line. Not sure if it gets checked by VAR. If it does then presumably it was ok.

It’s checked by VAR automatically and there have been retaken kicks in this tournament.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Looking at the video I'd say that Earps (and VAR) got it spot on. Her right foot was on the line until the ball was kicked. I didn't see it from the side previously, just the front. Because she moves forward it gave me the impression she maybe was off her line, but from the side it's clear she wasn't. Excellent save. Shame it wasn't a game changer.

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Not for the reasons you might think though.

The highest rated comments are actually critical of things that the mens team often get criticised for: arrogance in the media and hype presuming we would win etc. There's also been a fair amount of criticism of the commentary team disrespecting the Spanish.

Same as the Aussie team.

5 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Better team won but extremely frustrating, as tight football games so often are when you're losing. England gave possession away too easily. 

Why oh why will they not bring in stop the clock? 

I made a big effort to see it, but the quality of both teams was poor, and neither side would even beat a premier Northern league side if we're honest

• Like 1

I'll take the positives. We won the Euros, beat the USA, won the Finalissima, and have, both as England players and as figureheads for the game, continued to look to improve even after a major tournament win.

I'll take the maybes. Maybe if Leah Williamson is in that defence then the Spanish don't ever get so much space that they should have been three up by the break. Maybe if Beth Mead plays then one of the snapshots goes in. Maybe if Hemp's early shot goes in rather than hits the bar ...

I'll also take a bitter positive. Spain were not there to be beaten today. England were not given the chance and whilst there will be tactical conversations to be had about why that might be, the fact remains that the tournament's best team were also the best team today and deservedly won.

But I am absolutely and completely gutted.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

I made a big effort to see it, but the quality of both teams was poor, and neither side would even beat a premier Northern league side if we're honest

Wouldn't beat a premier Northern league men's side?  Why does that matter?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

Why would anyone expect them to? Before we get into the genetics of women compared to men, women's football is still in the early stages of its development.

It was a close, tightly fought game that could've gone either way. Standard doesn't necessarily equate with entertainment (not to say it was a great game btw).

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

There are plenty of those yes.

But also plenty just saying thank you Spain for winning.  And these comments are raised up the rankings by loads of people liking them.

And also a fair few complaining that Spain didn't get to take the penalty again because the English keeper was off the line.

I expect a mixed bag of comments but I cannot find one, not one, in the first 10 pages saying anything about England doing well in the Wolrd Cup.

The vast majority of people commenting on that page (5,837 at current count) are cleary happy that the England team lost.  Whatever their reasons, I find that a sad state of affairs. 

Personally, I wouldn't go onto any forum like that to gauge the public's mood. It's a bit like coming on here after England RU have lost the final and expecting it to be impartial.

People seek it out to make a point. They do it for political reasons, but there are also a lot of Celts and foreign contributors too. 

Something I do find odd is the need to apportion blame. The reality is that every player tried their utmost, it was a WC final ffs but you'll find many comments about lacking heart or desire etc. Even worse is the use of player ratings. Lucy Bronze has been exceptional for years but gets given a 4 for losing the ball in a crucial area. Way to kick someone when they're down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Personally, I wouldn't go onto any forum like that to gauge the public's mood. It's a bit like coming on here after England RU have lost the final and expecting it to be impartial.

People seek it out to make a point. They do it for political reasons, but there are also a lot of Celts and foreign contributors too. 

Something I do find odd is the need to apportion blame. The reality is that every player tried their utmost, it was a WC final ffs but you'll find many comments about lacking heart or desire etc. Even worse is the use of player ratings. Lucy Bronze has been exceptional for years but gets given a 4 for losing the ball in a crucial area. Way to kick someone when they're down.

Fair point.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

.....and no honours, either.....

.....but then thie issue is not about honouring them, but it's about not honouring "Sir" Kevin.

Let's just wish that there is an enduring legacy for women's soccer,( which there already is as some 200 women's soccer clubs have had lottery grants)  and that our sport can learn some lessons from this whole situation.

Oh, and this: have you heard that the IRL, RFL, ARL and NRL have seized the opportunity presented by having so many UK media people out there and got them along to see some NRLW and NRL games to open their eyes to the predominance of the 13 man code over the 15 man code?

No...me neither.....

Edited by JohnM
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

and now the row starts - apparently the womens eng football team are not diverse enoughSky News panelist sparks race row with Lionesses comments | Metro News

The Lionesses themselves agree with this and have supported - and continue to support - the reversal/amendment of the regional network structure that meant that only middle class (mostly white) kids could get on the elite pathways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The Lionesses themselves agree with this and have supported - and continue to support - the reversal/amendment of the regional network structure that meant that only middle class (mostly white) kids could get on the elite pathways.

….

Edited by The Masked Poster

On 21/08/2023 at 17:51, gingerjon said:

if our team is not diverse enough where does that leave teams like China?

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 20/08/2023 at 14:34, JohnM said:

The high point of the game: England's expletive-ridden reaction at the penalty save.  We can lip read, girls!   😀😀😀😀

Is there a clip of her sticking her tongue out, too?

Edited by JohnM