‘middle class’ clubs?

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Its from the hot water comedy club, they get clips going round on Facebook quite often. 

Thanks Tommy. I had to stop watching after about 30 seconds due to his excruciating accent though 😭

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The clubhouse is not too bad there...it's big anyway! 

The corn's a great community club, that have youngsters' teams at all ages; not rough at all. Ever been to Cutsyke or Airedale/Redhill? Now that's an education 😁

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OnStrike said:

I doubt any English RL club could be described as middle class, would be nearly an oxymoron.

In Australia, could the Roosters and Manly be described as middle class?

I thought Aussies claim there’s no class system in Australia?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Thanks Tommy. I had to stop watching after about 30 seconds due to his excruciating accent though 😭

His joke is that Whitehaven is a social experiment of what would happen if you gave everyone on a council estate £50k-£70k for working at Sellafield.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

And the swearing, not that I'm a prude but gratuitous swearing doesn't appeal to me.

Nor does a Scouse accent!

As Al Murray said of the scousers, they were a vital cog of the 2nd world war effort, jamming the German radio signals.

Fuccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, meast said:

And the swearing, not that I'm a prude but gratuitous swearing doesn't appeal to me.

As Al Murray said of the scousers, they were a vital cog of the 2nd world war effort, jamming the German radio signals.

It used to be ok, but over the last 25 or so years has got ridiculous.

37 minutes ago, meast said:

Are you going to We have ways fest though???

13 hours ago, Gomersall said:

I’d say York if anywhere.

Not sure about that. Go to a York RL game (or to one at any of the city's ARL clubs), and compare those present with the type of spectator you get at a York RU match. There'll always be exceptions to the rule but, essentially, they're different tribes.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Not sure about that. Go to a York RL game (or to one at any of the city's ARL clubs), and compare those present with the type of spectator you get at a York RU match. There'll always be exceptions to the rule but, essentially, they're different tribes.

The OP was about middle class areas rather than the people who attend games. York is middle class IMO. Bath, Harrogate, Cheltenham etc are also middle class IMO but don’t have professional RL teams.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheYoungBaron said:

The corn's a great community club, that have youngsters' teams at all ages; not rough at all. Ever been to Cutsyke or Airedale/Redhill? Now that's an education 😁

Yes I noticed their fixtures board is rammed 

I've only really caught NCL matches as the day part of weekends away up north over the years.......seen some good games and ended up spending more time in clubhouses than planned in some cases....St. Judes stands out as a really fun (boozy) day 

My wife is from a very posh background in the poshest part of the home counties....she has got used to the 'culture' of rugby league crowds over 15 years and loves it!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

The OP was about middle class areas rather than the people who attend games. York is middle class IMO. Bath, Harrogate, Cheltenham etc are also middle class IMO but don’t have professional RL teams.

Fair enough.

Not sure York is as middle class as Bath, Harrogate or Cheltenham. Probably more so than it used to be, certainly since the demise of its traditional industries.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yes I noticed their fixtures board is rammed 

I've only really caught NCL matches as the day part of weekends away up north over the years.......seen some good games and ended up spending more time in clubhouses than planned in some cases....St. Judes stands out as a really fun (boozy) day 

My wife is from a very posh background in the poshest part of the home counties....she has got used to the 'culture' of rugby league crowds over 15 years and loves it!

I enjoy St Judes as a pretty-much neutral, being within walking distance. Nice place to watch a game in an afternoon and as you've alluded to they do a decent pint!

My partner's also not northern, being from South Wales herself - as a previous poster mentioned, she's commented there's a lot more in common with northern England than the south, and union is seen as much more working class in Wales than it is here. She comes to the odd RL match and while I wouldn't say she's a massive fan, she enjoys the big games. Having said that, she was particularly surprised to find during a Wigan vs St Helens game that people in RL don't "respect the kicker"!

Edited by overtheborder
  • Like 1