Powell Gone

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

Warrington Wolves head coach win percentages

Chris Brockbank (1936-51) 74 per cent (160 wins from 216 matches)

Tony Smith (2009-2017) 66.4 per cent (200 wins from 301 matches)

Cecil Mountford (1951-61) 65 per cent (282 wins from 433 matches)

Steve Price (2018-2021) 62.9 per cent (74 wins from 116 matches)

Tony Barrow (1986-88) 62 per cent (68 wins from 109 matches)

Jackie Fleming (1967-68) 61 per cent (41 wins from 67 matches)

Billy Benyon (1978-82) 60 per cent (93 wins from 154 matches)

Alex Murphy (1971-78) 57 per cent (176 wins from 308 matches)

Kevin Ashcroft (1982-82) 56 per cent (50 wins from 90 matches)

Brian Johnson (1988-96) 54 per cent (140 wins from 260 matches)

Ernie Ashcroft (1961-67) 53 per cent (133 wins from 252 matches)

Reg Bowden (1984-86) 52 per cent (32 wins from 61 matches)

John Dorahy (1996-97) 50 per cent (15 wins from 30 matches)

Paul Cullen (2002-08) 48.9 per cent (87 wins from 179 matches)

Peter Harvey (1970-71) 46 per cent (12 wins from 26 matches)

Joe Egan (1968-70) 44 per cent (32 wins from 73 matches)

Daryl Powell (2022-23) 42 per cent (21 wins from 49 matches)

Darryl Van de Velde (1997-2001) 42 per cent (59 wins from 140 matches)

Steve Anderson (2001-02) 35.3 per cent (12 wins from 34 matches)

David Plange (2002) 25 per cent (4 wins from 16 matches)

Outstanding stats Dave, really gives you a true perspective on success rather than people's fading memory.Also every season was a top flight season not in lower leagues.

39 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Outstanding stats Dave, really gives you a true perspective on success rather than people's fading memory.Also every season was a top flight season not in lower leagues.

I probably should have given credit to the Warrington Guardian 😆

But yeah, very interesting stats....

17 hours ago, Dave T said:

Warrington Wolves head coach win percentages

Chris Brockbank (1936-51) 74 per cent (160 wins from 216 matches)

Tony Smith (2009-2017) 66.4 per cent (200 wins from 301 matches)

Cecil Mountford (1951-61) 65 per cent (282 wins from 433 matches)

Steve Price (2018-2021) 62.9 per cent (74 wins from 116 matches)

Tony Barrow (1986-88) 62 per cent (68 wins from 109 matches)

Jackie Fleming (1967-68) 61 per cent (41 wins from 67 matches)

Billy Benyon (1978-82) 60 per cent (93 wins from 154 matches)

Alex Murphy (1971-78) 57 per cent (176 wins from 308 matches)

Kevin Ashcroft (1982-82) 56 per cent (50 wins from 90 matches)

Brian Johnson (1988-96) 54 per cent (140 wins from 260 matches)

Ernie Ashcroft (1961-67) 53 per cent (133 wins from 252 matches)

Reg Bowden (1984-86) 52 per cent (32 wins from 61 matches)

John Dorahy (1996-97) 50 per cent (15 wins from 30 matches)

Paul Cullen (2002-08) 48.9 per cent (87 wins from 179 matches)

Peter Harvey (1970-71) 46 per cent (12 wins from 26 matches)

Joe Egan (1968-70) 44 per cent (32 wins from 73 matches)

Daryl Powell (2022-23) 42 per cent (21 wins from 49 matches)

Darryl Van de Velde (1997-2001) 42 per cent (59 wins from 140 matches)

Steve Anderson (2001-02) 35.3 per cent (12 wins from 34 matches)

David Plange (2002) 25 per cent (4 wins from 16 matches)

This is a great list to have a look at names from the past. But I'm wondering about its accuracy when even Daryl Powell's figure is wrong.

2 minutes ago, Szymala said:

This is a great list to have a look at names from the past. But I'm wondering about its accuracy when even Daryl Powell's figure is wrong.

Do you mean he was there for 50 games not 49 as published? perhaps the Warrington Gaurdian prepared the list the day before he was sacked knowing that he was going! I would call that Good Investigating Journalism  well done that man.

10 hours ago, OMEGA said:

I’m amazed that Chris Chester isn’t on that list

Christ imagine them 2 together!!!

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

22 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do you mean he was there for 50 games not 49 as published? perhaps the Warrington Gaurdian prepared the list the day before he was sacked knowing that he was going! I would call that Good Investigating Journalism  well done that man.

Yeah, its 50 games and I wasn't aware it had been published on Saturday. Apologies. 

37 minutes ago, Szymala said:

Yeah, its 50 games and I wasn't aware it had been published on Saturday. Apologies. 

I don't know if it was published Saturday, I was just being facetious saying the journalist may have known he was going to sacked and prepared thd piece the day before it was announced, sorry for any confusion.

At 58, will Powell want to coach again after this ?

Twice SL coach of the year but no silverware apart from the League Leaders at Cas' where he did a brilliant job in turning the club around.

He's been at it over twenty years and maybe his happiest times were at Featherstone although there were GF and Northern Rail final disappointments there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I see Warrington have signed a half back as soon as Powell has left

By signed, I mean recall their own player from Castleford

Should have been used whisy either Williams or Drinkwater were not available.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Warrington Wolves chairman on Daryl Powell departure | Warrington Guardian

Quite a good honest interview. I think it's clear he is very unhappy with what Powell did. He is putting the blame firmly at his door. And I can't disagree with it - the club backed him, and performances haven't been good enough.

With Middleton taking a public rolling all this,could the CEO be under scrutiny.

Just now, ELBOWSEYE said:

With Middleton taking a public rolling all this,could the CEO be under scrutiny.

That was something I wondered, however I had a look back on the announcement of Powell being hired and it was Middleton who did that, so not sure if that has been happening - I try and steer clear of the WG tbh!

Obviously the CEO being under fire was addressed in the interview, interesting that he supported him.

Just now, Dave T said:

That was something I wondered, however I had a look back on the announcement of Powell being hired and it was Middleton who did that, so not sure if that has been happening - I try and steer clear of the WG tbh!

Obviously the CEO being under fire was addressed in the interview, interesting that he supported him.

It does come across as a straight honest interview which was refreshing

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It does come across as a straight honest interview which was refreshing

I think the club have acted pretty fairly to Powell during this, I don't have too many complaints. We have brought players in, supported his vision, and the results have not come. Most of us said he had the first half dozen games this year, and then it looked like we had turned a corner, but we are now back exactly where we were last season, but with his team and no excuses.

I'm ok with the decision to hire him, the time they gave him, the players they signed, and the decision to end the relationship. I'm not happy with the outcome, but that's sport.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Warrington Wolves chairman on Daryl Powell departure | Warrington Guardian

Quite a good honest interview. I think it's clear he is very unhappy with what Powell did. He is putting the blame firmly at his door. And I can't disagree with it - the club backed him, and performances haven't been good enough.

Agreed, but reading the snippet below from the article I would have two questions/queries:

- What would he mean by full autonomy given he see's it as squarely Powell failure.

- High expectations for whomever comes in as he expects not to be knocked out in the play-offs. I guess getting to the grand final is the minimum he expects having of course got their before.

SM: We appointed Daryl to improve things after being knocked out at the first play-off game for the previous two seasons under Steve Price.

We believed he could take us to the next level and gave him our full support with the changes he wanted to make and the personnel he wanted.

Going into this season, he had the team he wanted and the expectations were high. There could be no more excuses.

Should we have given him full autonomy? That’s a question that needs to be reflected upon.

Edited by redjonn

14 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Agreed, but reading the snippet below from the article I would have two questions/queries:

- What would he mean by full autonomy given he see's it as squarely Powell failure.

- High expectations for whomever comes in as he expects not to be knocked out in the play-offs. I guess getting to the grand final is the minimum he expects having of course got their before.

SM: We appointed Daryl to improve things after being knocked out at the first play-off game for the previous two seasons under Steve Price.

We believed he could take us to the next level and gave him our full support with the changes he wanted to make and the personnel he wanted.

Going into this season, he had the team he wanted and the expectations were high. There could be no more excuses.

Should we have given him full autonomy? That’s a question that needs to be reflected upon.

I assume by full autonomy they mean him having the final say on everything to do with the Rugby team. Maybe this is where a Head of Football was needed, or a CEO that is ore hands on in this area. 

The point about losing in the playoffs were also lacking in context I feel. After the first year, we limped out of the playoffs at the first game - both of them were home games against the lowest ranked playoff team (Cas and Hull). After they had made the decision to move Price on, we did the same again, losing at home vs 6th (Hull KR). I think had we been winning these games and losing against eventual winners it wouldn't have been such an issue, but finishing 2nd and 3rd and limping out of the playoffs was poor.

In the last couple of years, we also limped out of the Cup semis to teams ranked below us.

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I assume by full autonomy they mean him having the final say on everything to do with the Rugby team. Maybe this is where a Head of Football was needed, or a CEO that is ore hands on in this area. 

The point about losing in the playoffs were also lacking in context I feel. After the first year, we limped out of the playoffs at the first game - both of them were home games against the lowest ranked playoff team (Cas and Hull). After they had made the decision to move Price on, we did the same again, losing at home vs 6th (Hull KR). I think had we been winning these games and losing against eventual winners it wouldn't have been such an issue, but finishing 2nd and 3rd and limping out of the playoffs was poor.

In the last couple of years, we also limped out of the Cup semis to teams ranked below us.

oky doky, thanks for responding

On 31/07/2023 at 20:32, The Future is League said:

I think it's Justin Holborooks if he wants it, but i hear his wife has a very good paying job in Australia and would be very reluctant to give it up.

Holbrook isn’t daft, he took over a Saints team with good players who were playing badly and being badly coached. Surely he can see at Wire you just can’t polish a ###### 😂

seriously though just can’t see it as his main reason for leaving Saints was so his wife could take up a very good job back in Aus.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

52 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Holbrook isn’t daft, he took over a Saints team with good players who were playing badly and being badly coached. Surely he can see at Wire you just can’t polish a ###### 😂

seriously though just can’t see it as his main reason for leaving Saints was so his wife could take up a very good job back in Aus.

Thanks for your usual balanced views. I struggle with your first word of the second paragraph (seriously)it's the one word I find hard to use when reading your posts.