Powell Gone

Weird comments again in the post match. 

He claims that he was asked to sort two things when he came in. Create accountability and remove the sense of entitlement. What does that 2nd part mean? 

I wasn't Steve Price's biggest fan, I thought he was too conservative and had has time and it's right that we moved on from him, but we were a club playing at the top of the tables regularly and playing in the odd final. 

It's rewriting history to keep talking about cultural issues and it's just odd that that team is being classed as entitled. 

I've long since banged on about root cause - no matter what it is, we have to be clear about what it is we are trying to fix, and I think they are just starting from the wrong position if that's what they believed the issue was. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Weird comments again in the post match. 

He claims that he was asked to sort two things when he came in. Create accountability and remove the sense of entitlement. What does that 2nd part mean? 

I wasn't Steve Price's biggest fan, I thought he was too conservative and had has time and it's right that we moved on from him, but we were a club playing at the top of the tables regularly and playing in the odd final. 

It's rewriting history to keep talking about cultural issues and it's just odd that that team is being classed as entitled. 

I've long since banged on about root cause - no matter what it is, we have to be clear about what it is we are trying to fix, and I think they are just starting from the wrong position if that's what they believed the issue was. 

If lack of accountability and a sense of entitlement = a team of individuals then that’s certainly how it’s looked on the field when I’ve watched them of late.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

If lack of accountability and a sense of entitlement = a team of individuals then that’s certainly how it’s looked on the field when I’ve watched them of late.

Indeed. Far worse than the team he took over. 

• Like 1

Warrington too hasty in pulling the trigger IMO. There's been a lot of disruption with players, controversies, and injuries.

I am surprised and disappointed that they have dispensed with him at this stage. Nicholson and Williams were big outs for them. They lost Mikaele and McGuire. I think they would have come good either this year or next.

At worst play-offs this year and build in to 2024. I kind of struggle with this one, looking in from the outside. There are a lot of factors in their recent woes outside of the coach.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Go on then. Thats like a thread I'd start lol.

I'll go first: Graeme West?

Edit: Too slow, 2nd

Edited by Hull Kingston Bronco
Not being able to read

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Something was not quite right .I was thinking when after a recent defeat he stayed in his box for a long time before going for the usual interviews . What was he like with the players at that time ? His Castleford team of 2017 played some great football 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

6 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Warrington too hasty in pulling the trigger IMO. There's been a lot of disruption with players, controversies, and injuries.

I am surprised and disappointed that they have dispensed with him at this stage. Nicholson and Williams were big outs for them. They lost Mikaele and McGuire. I think they would have come good either this year or next.

At worst play-offs this year and build in to 2024. I kind of struggle with this one, looking in from the outside. There are a lot of factors in their recent woes outside of the coach.

Hang on, aren't you a Saints fan? Of course you want us to keep him! 😆

I think the manner of performances is far more telling than losing a few games. But even. 

There has been disruption and plenty shuffling needed, you're right, but some of his selections and responses to that have been baffling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Something was not quite right .I was thinking when after a recent defeat he stayed in his box for a long time before going for the usual interviews . What was he like with the players at that time ? His Castleford team of 2017 played some great football 

Yes, it was a weird moment, and it was probably a surprise he didn't leave then. Carney called him out over it. Although I don't think Carney has rated him for a while. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dave T said:

Yes, it was a weird moment, and it was probably a surprise he didn't leave then. Carney called him out over it. Although I don't think Carney has rated him for a while. 

You are right Dave but always get the feeling that Carney has an agenda with Warrington don't know after giving Carney a job things went wrong.

3 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

You are right Dave but always get the feeling that Carney has an agenda with Warrington don't know after giving Carney a job things went wrong.

Maybe, but it's hard to disagree with his challenges. There have been a lot of excuses in recent weeks, when Tomkins said the answer was to get Williams back, Carney rightly called this out and pointed out we had been losing with him (even though Williams had been our best). 

After all his comments blaming practically everyone else for the team's poor performances and his big clear out last year whatever happened this year was always on him. It was his team this year and he made drastic changes to improve things, yet they haven't and its been more of the same. 

• Like 4

It's just been a strange episode all round and he has made a rod for his own back with his approach and its backfired big time.

I liked Powell at Cas and the rugby they played and I think he overachieved there with the players and money at his disposal. However he has always come across as a man out of his depth at Warrington and making huge changes for changes sake, just to say how much was wrong and to build his own team. A more subtle and less confrontational approach would have bought him much more time.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's just been a strange episode all round and he has made a rod for his own back with his approach and its backfired big time.

I liked Powell at Cas and the rugby they played and I think he overachieved there with the players and money at his disposal. However he has always come across as a man out of his depth at Warrington and making huge changes for changes sake, just to say how much was wrong and to build his own team. A more subtle and less confrontational approach would have bought him much more time.

He was given his time and money to amass the squad he wanted, OK some bad luck with McGuire and Mikele but they could easily have been season ending injuries which affects lots of clubs with player's you just have to ver on with it regardless, like many people in all walks of life they see greener grass on the other river bank and take the plunge sometimes it works well other times it turns out disastrous this was DP's wrong career move.

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

Agree with this 100%. I genuinely believe tweaks were needed, with a more attacking ethos, and we could have been successful. The confrontational approach just seems really arrogant. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

He was given his time and money to amass the squad he wanted, OK some bad luck with McGuire and Mikele but they could easily have been season ending injuries which affects lots of clubs with player's you just have to ver on with it regardless, like many people in all walks of life they see greener grass on the other river bank and take the plunge sometimes it works well other times it turns out disastrous this was DP's wrong career move.

That suggests going to Wire was a wrong decision. It wasn't, as you say he had full financial backing, of the like he wouldn't get at Cas. He has underperformed rather than the decision being wrong. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That suggests going to Wire was a wrong decision. It wasn't, as you say he had full financial backing, of the like he wouldn't get at Cas. He has underperformed rather than the decision being wrong. 

Maybe he had too much resource at his disposal? Some coaches seem to thrive in the “underdog” capacity 

He did well at Cas & Fev. But his first gig at Leeds wasn't the best was it?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, meast said:

Back at Cas by the end of the week no doubt?

mate I'd take Enoch Powell right now instead of the current shower

• Haha 1

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't think it was a wrong career move. He had done as much as he could at Cas and Warrington financially are as big as any club in SL when it comes to spending money on players and have one of the larger fanbases. It was a move he absolutely had to make. He just handled it appallingly from the  start.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Maybe he had too much resource at his disposal? Some coaches seem to thrive in the “underdog” capacity 

He did well at Cas & Fev. But his first gig at Leeds wasn't the best was it?

TBH, it's hard to pinpoint where it has gone wrong, because in reality, the squad is decent. It has real issues in the centres, but other than that, it has decent halves, Big forwards and a lot of pace in the backs. Whilst the likes of Dudson or Kasiano may get stick, when playing as a unit they do a good job. Look at the likes of Leigh, their performances are better than their sum of parts. Ours are far worse right now. 

He has the vast majority of his players under-performing right now. It's why I think it is on him. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

He took a gamble on a career move Dave, it has not worked out for him nor for Warrington, I didn't say it was the wrong decision with him making that move it seemed right at the time for him and right for the club ( I wonder who made the first initial contact) but quite evidently that is the way it has worked out, people often look for new challenges some benefit from them, this was not one of those.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Whilst I agree that some of the things were beyond his control as has been pointed out these happen to everyone. 

Questions surely have to be asked about some aspects of this entire situation not least why does a squad not have a recognised back up at half back just in case/when one of them goes down injured/suspended?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave T said:

Indeed. Far worse than the team he took over. 

Far worse than the team at Easter even. Very rare to see a team's season disintegrate quite like warrington's this year. Shows how good a start they had, that they are still in top 6.

I think the writing was on the wall for him after the performance against Wigan in the cup. It was just shambolic, from a team that should be performing better even on a bad day. 

11 minutes ago, RP London said:

Whilst I agree that some of the things were beyond his control as has been pointed out these happen to everyone. 

Questions surely have to be asked about some aspects of this entire situation not least why does a squad not have a recognised back up at half back just in case/when one of them goes down injured/suspended?

He did, but like many other players he sent them packing, which being the coach is his prerogative, even his mother could advise him he got some of those decisions wrong.