New World Cup format confirmed for 2026

2 groups of 5 would work OK. 6 matches to win the comp (same as 16 teams) and you should get some big match ups every week. Could be an opportunity to guarantee an Aus v England game in the group stage. In fact I think that would work better than 12 or 14 teams, but I can't deny being disappointed that we have dropped that many teams. Maybe they're trying to save some money by having no other NH teams qualify and fly over for the WC. Said in jest but I wouldn't put it past them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RP London said:

yep and I agree i really dont want that back! 

groups of (based on current world rankings):

A

Australia

Samoa

Tonga

Fiji

France

B

New Zealand

England

PNG

Lebanon

Serbia

Could throw up some great matches at all levels... 

I didn't realise Serbia had overtaken Cook Islands in the rankings - I don't think they would beat them in a qualifying match.

This has such an air of "dead in the water absolute minimum" it stinks.

They can't tell us when the Kangaroos and Kiwis tours will be revived (only that '27 and '28, ideally, maybe). Thats before we get into the one eyed fallacy that matches between 2 nations ticks the international RL box. England to tour Australia in '25, I sincerely worry how that will impact the rest of the planned schedule.

Regional championships haven't been/couldn't be confirmed; isn't this the sort of thing that would be spoken about prior to a major meeting?

World Cup down to 10. I genuinely reckon they've only gone for that because France didn't qualify for 8. Not to mention its vaguely "southern hemisphere"?

Qualification to now more heavily relate to World Rankings... well hopefully that will get more matches played oh wait.

A stand alone women's world cup sounds absolutely fantastic, if it happens I will be very impressed, possibly astounded.

I'll be very impressed/amazed if it still all looks like this in 2026.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Having withdrawn as hosts, are France now in serious danger of not being one of the two qualifiers?

only full IRL members eligible for qualification, which based on current membership is: 

Cook Islands, France, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Russia*, Scotland, Serbia, South Africa, Ukraine, Wales.

1 minute ago, Barley Mow said:

I didn't realise Serbia had overtaken Cook Islands in the rankings - I don't think they would beat them in a qualifying match.

On the subject of Serbia, it is countries like that who will potentially miss out due to the reduction in competition size.

Considering all of the great work they're doing and the number of internationals they've been playing, that's a real shame.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, welshmagpie said:

only full IRL members eligible for qualification, which based on current membership is: 

Cook Islands, France, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Russia*, Scotland, Serbia, South Africa, Ukraine, Wales.

Canada and USA to join that group soon I'd have thought post Covid and USA infighting?

So will be Cook Islands & one of the rest 

• Like 1

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Canada and USA to join that group soon I'd have thought post Covid and USA infighting?

Whichever way you look at it, it’s two spots for a lot of nations.

I don’t think we’ll see a set ‘qualification’ tournament. I think qualification will be factored into smaller tournaments in the run up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

So Greece don't even get a chance to qualify after being in the last world cup.

• Like 1

Just now, Barley Mow said:

On the subject of Serbia, it is countries like that who will potentially miss out due to the reduction in competition size.

Considering all of the great work they're doing and the number of internationals they've been playing, that's a real shame.

By what they have said they won't. Serbia are the leading "amateur" international RL side. They play more games than most but they play against weaker opposition. Wales, France, even Ireland and Jamaica have stronger national teams but only France are above them in the rankings.

We need more games, played by strong teams, against more opponents. 

Instead this roster seems to effectively remove England from the European set up altogether. Don't be surprised when France, Wales and a handful of others do the same to the nations just down the pecking order from them like Serbia too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

perhaps not but thems the world rankings.. which was my point in my earlier post about them being a bit arbitrary.. swap a few in and around for the last 2 and its still good games to be had they dont need a "super group"

I don’t think we’ll see a set ‘qualification’ tournament. I think qualification will be factored into smaller tournaments in the run up. 

That will be interesting regarding the Cook Islands. I don't think that they will be beating or even playing the likes of Tonga etc or coming up to the NH yet I can't see them not being in the next WC. Maybe a couple of games against some Aussie resident Brazil teams or something will be all they need to do to clinch a spot. Or maybe I'm just being cynical.

28 minutes ago, Spidey said:

We’ll go over there, then when it’s their turn to reciprocate they’ll pull out. Like they usually do

True. But unlike Leon Pryce I'd rather be in Bondi than Blackpool so it works for me! 🏖️

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

4 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Yeah its silly how unclear that is. Will the regional comps just feed into the international rankings and pick from there? Will it be straight regional qualification? Will there be a repechage? Will these take place next year giving qualifiers an off season in advance to prep? Will there be games this autumn contributing to qualification?

None of that is clear for a tournament that will kick off in 3 years time...

6 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

So Greece don't even get a chance to qualify after being in the last world cup.

not at the moment, maybe encourages federations to do the extra bits that gets them the higher grade of membership? not sure what that is etc but perhaps that is the thinking. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

2027/28 is just kicking the can down the road some of us will be dead by then:(

In the meantime who do England play at home ?

Aussies must be happy no traveling commitments for another 5 years 

its Samoa next year isnt it? then its into this cycle.

regional tournaments to be decided so it may be after that that we can get the midseason game sorted. 

19 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

I'll be going, always been on my RL bucket list and a nice little 3 week trip. Interesting it's England and not GB, which is sensible as a build up to the WC. 

Not only R.L. Ashes tour 2025, but also Bazball cricket ashes starting in November 2025. Could they overlap like last time in 2017? Need to save up!!??

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

In the meantime who do England play at home ?

2024, still not announced. Media seem to think Samoa but we'll see how the Tonga tour goes before that is rubber stamped imo.

2025, seems like England to tour Australia. That could put a spanner in the latter years plans that are not set in stone at all. No home games very likely, maybe a mid season test against France, at best. More likely to play an aus rep team as a warm up frankly.

2026 "world cup", unless France or Wales qualify I wouldn't expect a home match.

2027/28, supposedly Australia and Kiwis tours. I wouldn't hold my breath on the former.

• Like 2

I think 10 is the wrong number, but I can understand why they have trimmed them. If its 2 x 5, that can work, but I expect it'll be 4,3,3 with supergroup.

I don't mind blowouts I a WC, I think the events need to be more than that, but one thing that does jar with me is that we probably gave places too easily, to nations who do little. But it's important that we have a plan on development for these nations if that doesn't include the World Cup. 

Some things to like, some things to hate, some things to say meh to. 

But, whether it's exactly what we want, we have the start of a plan. 

• Like 5