New World Cup format confirmed for 2026

The 2022 tournament was in parts a disaster. We've had a 16 team tournament twice and both occasions failed.

I understand why we've gone to ten but agree a 5 teams x 2 groups is the way forward.

We've had calendars before and it hasn't happened. I'm not holding my breath but the idea of England touring Australia in 2025 is very exciting!

• Like 1

One of the headlines mentions Kiwi tours are back on. But then I can't find any reference to Kiwi tours. 

Not sure if their approach is to drip-feed stuff out to us, but seems to be a lot of gaps. 

Anythibg about NZ? 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

One of the headlines mentions Kiwi tours are back on. But then I can't find any reference to Kiwi tours. 

Not sure if their approach is to drip-feed stuff out to us, but seems to be a lot of gaps. 

Anythibg about NZ? 

yes coming here post world cup after the aussies so 2028 I think? obviously they probably wont but thats whats being said. 

Edited by RP London

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Anythibg about NZ? 

Just file it along with every other calendar announcement. They never get delivered in their entirety 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RP London said:

yes coming here post world cup after the aussies so 2028 I think? obviously they probably wont but thats whats being said. 

They’re very clever. England, Tonga & Samoa do all the travelling before Aus / NZ set foot on a long haul flight

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

2027/28 is just kicking the can down the road some of us will be dead by then:(

In the meantime who do England play at home ?

Aussies must be happy no traveling commitments for another 5 years 

They play Tonga this year and hopefully Samoa or NZ next year

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Stumbling back 15 years.

My money's on a supergroup and two groups of three - shake head.

Bare minimum, a bit like this post of mine. 

You'd think they didn't want to grow or play internationally. 

A supergroup might work well for England. Let Aus, NZ, Samoa and Tonga bash each other about before Eng swoop in after squeezing past Lebanon and Cookies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

It's not terrible given the circumstances with France but the only disappointment is that Cook Islands will definitely be one of the teams so we'll end up with expanded Pacific tournament but with England, Lebanon and 1 other. Given Lebanon are pretty much a pacific team in terms of players,  this is essentially an NRL warm up tournament.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

It's not terrible given the circumstances with France but the only disappointment is that Cook Islands will definitely be one of the teams so we'll end up with expanded Pacific tournament but with England, Lebanon and 1 other. Given Lebanon are pretty much a pacific team in terms of players,  this is essentially an NRL warm up tournament.

I think that's killed off any prospect of high profile international RL for Scotland, Ireland and Wales for the foreseeable.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

This is what the NRL have always wanted

• Like 2

The red flag so large it can be seen from space in this is the shoving dates further and further back. It’s been the issue with every one of these announcements and there’s no reason to believe this will be any different.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

48 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Not only R.L. Ashes tour 2025, but also Bazball cricket ashes starting in November 2025. Could they overlap like last time in 2017? Need to save up!!??

And Lions tour of Australia…games, locations and dates already announced

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Anythibg about NZ? 

The BBC indicated that they and the Aussies have pencilled in concurrent mens and womens tours of England for '27 and '28 - nothing as specific as who will be touring when though...

I have more faith in the Kiwis touring, fwiw!

If a 10 team world cup has two groups of 5, then each team will get a bye (assuming they don't do inter-group matches).

If that's the plan, they might as well have done two groups of six. It wouldn't extend the time taken to complete the group stage.

The advantage to 2x5 of course would be costs saved in not having to pay for accommodating two extra teams.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, RP London said:

where is that detail - I've read two or three articles and haven't actually seen a calendar

58 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Just file it along with every other calendar announcement. They never get delivered in their entirety 

It was interesting to see people claiming that we had never had a calendar before - they just lie to us now don't they?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Spidey said:

They’re very clever. England, Tonga & Samoa do all the travelling before Aus / NZ set foot on a long haul flight

indeed. We'll have had two new calendars by then.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

where is that detail - I've read two or three articles and haven't actually seen a calendar

literally in the link that started this thread it says (I got it the wrong way round)

"The Kiwis and Kangaroos will head north to play England in 2027 and 2028 respectively."